cheapest cable / satelite package to watch wing games ?

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
this isnt for me . this is for a senior with no computer , only has tv and only wants to use it for watching red wing games at the cheapest rate possible .

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I enjoy my NHL game center.. Got a discount through Rogers promo code, it's able to be used on 3 devices at once so I split it with two buddies.. Came to 50 Canadian for the year per user and you get basically every game expect for the few black outs for Leafs or Sens.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
I enjoy my NHL game center.. Got a discount through Rogers promo code, it's able to be used on 3 devices at once so I split it with two buddies.. Came to 50 Canadian for the year per user and you get basically every game expect for the few black outs for Leafs or Sens.
so i guess rogers is a cable/satelite provider your paying a monthly rate to then paying the fee to nhlcenterice ? so for instance i just saw a basic tv package from att for 40 per month . then add the nhlcenterice and that would be cheapest tv way ?

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
so i guess rogers is a cable/satelite provider your paying a monthly rate to then paying the fee to nhlcenterice ? so for instance i just saw a basic tv package from att for 40 per month . then add the nhlcenterice and that would be cheapest tv way ?

Rogers is a cell phone provider for me. You are able to get the NHL service though without any other connection/contract with the company, just need to sign up. I use it via internet as I don't have any satelite / cable / land lines in my home (typical kid these days). It was a one time payment for the year of $150 and change (Can $) and everything is streamed to my TV via WiFi. Can also use the app on my phone/tablet to watch it if I am out of town. That $150 gives the same service to two other friends, I found it the best deal. $50 for hockey all year.. I am not sure how it works for American citizens, or if it's the same?

Reactions: decaguard

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Rogers is a cell phone provider for me. You are able to get the NHL service though without any other connection/contract with the company, just need to sign up. I use it via internet as I don't have any satelite / cable / land lines in my home (typical kid these days). It was a one time payment for the year of $150 and change (Can $) and everything is streamed to my TV via WiFi. Can also use the app on my phone/tablet to watch it if I am out of town. That $150 gives the same service to two other friends, I found it the best deal. $50 for hockey all year.. I am not sure how it works for American citizens, or if it's the same?
ok thanx for the info .

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
If you go with a cable package just be careful not all basic packages include the channels the games are broadcast on. And the channels can change at playoff time. I haven't watched on TV for a while but just thought I would share that to ask around and confirm which channels the games are on and that the package includes them. I also don't know if the center ice package blacks out local games? I know the NHL streaming service used to, you couldn't get local broadcasts unless you used a VPN. Not sure how center ice works.

Reactions: decaguard

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
If you go with a cable package just be careful not all basic packages include the channels the games are broadcast on. And the channels can change at playoff time. I haven't watched on TV for a while but just thought I would share that to ask around and confirm which channels the games are on and that the package includes them. I also don't know if the center ice package blacks out local games? I know the NHL streaming service used to, you couldn't get local broadcasts unless you used a VPN. Not sure how center ice works.
in the back of my mind im recalling nhlcentericeblacksout home games now that you bring it up . if so that wont work and it'll have to be cheapest tv package that has fsd .

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Youtube TV would be the cheapest source for FSN. $45/month, but would require an internet connection too.

I currently have Dish, who is in the middle of a contract dispute with Fox over the Fox regional sports channels, so I'm also looking at other ways of getting my wings games. Looking like a $45/month subscription to Youtube TV will be my only option, or switching to DirectTV, but I don't want to do that.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Or if you are sick of reddit nhl streams. Google Caststreams.

I've been using Bilasport.net Is there a reason to use Caststreams over Bilasport?
From looking at their site, it looks like you can only stream 720P if you pay/donate $23.

korrowan

Sponsor
Feb 8, 2011
I've been using Bilasport.net Is there a reason to use Caststreams over Bilasport?
From looking at their site, it looks like you can only stream 720P if you pay/donate $23.

Sounds about right. I hated dealing with pop ups and non chromecast feeds. 23 bucks is nothing for all the games with no hassle for a year.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Youtube TV would be the cheapest source for FSN. $45/month, but would require an internet connection too.

I currently have Dish, who is in the middle of a contract dispute with Fox over the Fox regional sports channels, so I'm also looking at other ways of getting my wings games. Looking like a $45/month subscription to Youtube TV will be my only option, or switching to DirectTV, but I don't want to do that.
I had the same issue with Dish about 12 years ago (dispute with Fox Sports that happens not only to cover the Red Wings, but 2/3 of American based NHL teams).

I immediately switched to DirecTV, and never looked back...Dish has had their fair share of issues concerning contract disputes, and as a fan I've got no time for that!

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I'll add my 1 cent:

My experience has been mixed with all methods, whether satellite, cable, or internet. The following is for TV-only methods, and I don't know the specifics of this person's localality... so with that being said, here we go.

If this person is in the Fox Sports Detroit local broadcast area, the best bet is whatever the most cheapest, most basic package cable or satellite offers that includes the Fox Sports Detroit channel(s); cable companies vary, but the satellite companies usually carry the local regional sports in a reasonably priced tier. If they want the NBCSports channel on the odd occasion they carry a Wings game, that's usually in a higher tier. NHL Network is usually only included in the most expensive tiers for whatever reason.

If they are out of the broadcast area, NHL Center Ice (US and Canada) is the cable/satellite package that provides the majority of coverage (for ALL teams); the only blackouts will be nationally televised games (NHL Network, NBCSports, NBC, etc). If that's the case, a basic cable package might include all of the national coverage, then they'd have to pay the $149 (I think it's cheaper in Canada through Rogers) or whatever it is now on top of that for Center Ice.

I've gone down every (out-of-market) route, and will say there is no perfect solution with the current NHL/networks regional blackout policy. I hope this made some sense, and if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
I'll add my 1 cent:

My experience has been mixed with all methods, whether satellite, cable, or internet. The following is for TV-only methods, and I don't know the specifics of this person's localality... so with that being said, here we go.

If this person is in the Fox Sports Detroit local broadcast area, the best bet is whatever the most cheapest, most basic package cable or satellite offers that includes the Fox Sports Detroit channel(s); cable companies vary, but the satellite companies usually carry the local regional sports in a reasonably priced tier. If they want the NBCSports channel on the odd occasion they carry a Wings game, that's usually in a higher tier. NHL Network is usually only included in the most expensive tiers for whatever reason.

If they are out of the broadcast area, NHL Center Ice (US and Canada) is the cable/satellite package that provides the majority of coverage (for ALL teams); the only blackouts will be nationally televised games (NHL Network, NBCSports, NBC, etc). If that's the case, a basic cable package might include all of the national coverage, then they'd have to pay the $149 (I think it's cheaper in Canada through Rogers) or whatever it is now on top of that for Center Ice.

I've gone down every (out-of-market) route, and will say there is no perfect solution with the current NHL/networks regional blackout policy. I hope this made some sense, and if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.
thanx . it looks like its the cheapest basic cable/satelite service that features fox detroit in macomb county .

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI

Really? Been thinking about getting cable (just moved into an APT) and they go through Dish so hell I might just wait and look for other ways to watch for now

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
thanx . it looks like its the cheapest basic cable/satelite service that features fox detroit in macomb county .
Keep in mind that with the satellite they’ll need to drill holes to mount the dish, and holes to feed wires, and such (cable tv is generally a lot less invasive, and you won’t have issues if/when there’s bad weather).

The reason I went with satellite was due to the fact that where I live the Charter Cable franchise is behind the times in terms of what they have to offer (no NHL Center Ice), and their product quality (sound and picture were poor).

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Keep in mind that with the satellite they’ll need to drill holes to mount the dish, and holes to feed wires, and such (cable tv is generally a lot less invasive, and you won’t have issues if/when there’s bad weather).

The reason I went with satellite was due to the fact that where I live the Charter Cable franchise is behind the times in terms of what they have to offer (no NHL Center Ice), and their product quality (sound and picture were poor).
Charter offers Center Ice in my area but I wouldn't recommend it. They only offered 1 channel in HD and the rest were in SD. You can't choose which feed to watch either. I had a much better experience with Center Ice with Directv although since I've moved I have been using NHL.tv and have no problems whatsoever.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Charter offers Center Ice in my area but I wouldn't recommend it. They only offered 1 channel in HD and the rest were in SD. You can't choose which feed to watch either. I had a much better experience with Center Ice with Directv although since I've moved I have been using NHL.tv and have no problems whatsoever.
Yeah - I believe it has to do with the 'bandwidth' restrictions with cable tv that may limit the number of channels that are available for NHL Center Ice.

As irony would have it - another reason I dumped Dish Network (other than their contractual issues with networks) was the fact that they'd offer 1 HD feed as well (usually the home feed - so half the games with Fox Sports Detroit would be in crummy standard definition)...Like I said - going to DirecTV was a great move - more ways than 1.

I know in the past when it was available - AT&T U-Verse was a 'decent' inexpensive option for those who lived in the greater Detroit area (or anywhere that offered Fox Sports Detroit)...But since the signal was carried via the telephone lines it had a very limited number of channels, and there wasn't the 'bandwidth' to carry extras such as NHL Center Ice, or MLB Season Ticket, or NBA Center Court, etc.

Last edited:

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
As irony would have it - another reason I dumped Dish Network (other than their contractual issues with networks) was the fact that they'd offer 1 HD feed as well (usually the home feed - so half the games with Fox Sports Detroit would be in crummy standard definition)...Like I said - going to DirecTV was a great move - more ways than 1.

That must have been quite a while ago.... up until this latest contract dispute, Dish has been showing all the FSD games in HD for several years now... Also, the Dish boxes (DVR's) are way way better than anything DirectTV offers. Dish equipment is second to none. voice remotes, wireless whole house DVR's with 16 tuners, DirectTV's best box has what, only 5 tuners currently? At this point, I'm sticking with Dish and just streaming the games to my smart TV's. Not willing to go to DirectTV and their crappy equipment yet.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
That must have been quite a while ago.... up until this latest contract dispute, Dish has been showing all the FSD games in HD for several years now... Also, the Dish boxes (DVR's) are way way better than anything DirectTV offers. Dish equipment is second to none. voice remotes, wireless whole house DVR's with 16 tuners, DirectTV's best box has what, only 5 tuners currently? At this point, I'm sticking with Dish and just streaming the games to my smart TV's. Not willing to go to DirectTV and their crappy equipment yet.
I have no issue with the DirecTV boxes/dvrs in my household - they work as expected...But yeah - it was 2006 when I had Dish, and it was a joke back then...Maybe they got their $hit together today - with the exception of contract squabbles with varying networks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad