Chasing History: Tanner Glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Find that one shift, against either the Sens or the Jets, where he was in Geno and Neal's line, and people were like omg omg he's so great!!

And then the punch line could be Never Forget

:laugh:

Too bad Al Michaels doesn't announce Pens games, in case that special day finally comes the day after I win the lottery . . .

'Adams dumps it into the zone. Glass in after it. Defenseman there first, moves the puck up ice. (four second pause). Ooh, defenseman sidesteps Glass hit attempt. Bad clear, Adams takes it, move the puck to the point. Puck on Orpik's stick. Winds up for a big slap shot. His 90 mph slap shot is 10 feet wide, 10 feet high, deflects off the glass, hits Glass in the head, and bounces in. Do you believe in miracles? YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!'

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I've seen Bennett make harder hits than Glass. Even multiple times in one game. 99% of Glass' hits are of the "Well here I am on the forecheck but the defender beat me to the puck so I'll just lightly nudge you into the boards before I start my backcheck" variety.

The guy is the epitome of useless, and it takes a lot for me to say that because I usually don't dump on players. But it infuriates me so much that he is consistently in the lineup while Vitale, who is better in every facet of hockey, rots in the press box. It doesn't even have to do with this board's view of Vitale as a cult hero, it's just a fact. I don't know if Bylsma just thinks 4th liners are interchangable, or if he favors veterans or just doesn't even care, but that's my only legitimate gripe about Bylsma. He's not getting the best out of his lineup.

I know that's been harped on by just about everyone, but man it's so uncalled for and wrong.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

Too bad Al Michaels doesn't announce Pens games, in case that special day finally comes the day after I win the lottery . . .

'Adams dumps it into the zone. Glass in after it. Defenseman there first, moves the puck up ice. (four second pause). Ooh, defenseman sidesteps Glass hit attempt. Bad clear, Adams takes it, move the puck to the point. Puck on Orpik's stick. Winds up for a big slap shot. His 90 mph slap shot is 10 feet wide, 10 feet high, deflects off the glass, hits Glass in the head, and bounces in. Do you believe in miracles? YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!'

haha

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I've seen Bennett make harder hits than Glass. Even multiple times in one game. 99% of Glass' hits are of the "Well here I am on the forecheck but the defender beat me to the puck so I'll just lightly nudge you into the boards before I start my backcheck" variety.

The guy is the epitome of useless, and it takes a lot for me to say that because I usually don't dump on players. But it infuriates me so much that he is consistently in the lineup while Vitale, who is better in every facet of hockey, rots in the press box. It doesn't even have to do with this board's view of Vitale as a cult hero, it's just a fact. I don't know if Bylsma just thinks 4th liners are interchangable, or if he favors veterans or just doesn't even care, but that's my only legitimate gripe about Bylsma. He's not getting the best out of his lineup.

I know that's been harped on by just about everyone, but man it's so uncalled for and wrong.

And your illegitimate gripes? :laugh:

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

"Glass is an amorphous (non-crystalline) solid material that exhibits a glass transition. Glasses are typically brittle and can be optically transparent."

Well I think we can all agree about Tanner with regard to the amorphous solid material thing. And when he plays he is definitely "optically transparent" (invisible) while transitioning to any area of the ice. Unfortunately he has proven to be atypical in that he is not brittle enough to find a place on IR. Safety glass...just our luck. :shakehead

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
Ironic that the one guy named Glass on this team is in the lineup every night and the one player not made out of glass.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON

This just is untrue. Glass hits hard and that is where his value is. Defenseman don't feel good after dealing with Tanner Glass for 2 periods. It is like shot blocking in Basketball. Blocking the ball out of bounds is not nearly as effective as directing it to a teammate. Sometimes 5 solid hits out way 2 crushing hits and that defenseman will make a mistake bc he is tired or doesn't want to get hit again. Is he better hockey player than Bennett? Hell no, but he fills a necessary role.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
This just is untrue. Glass hits hard and that is where his value is. Defenseman don't feel good after dealing with Tanner Glass for 2 periods. It is like shot blocking in Basketball. Blocking the ball out of bounds is not nearly as effective as directing it to a teammate. Sometimes 5 solid hits out way 2 crushing hits and that defenseman will make a mistake bc he is tired or doesn't want to get hit again. Is he better hockey player than Bennett? Hell no, but he fills a necessary role.

There's definitely merit to the argument that you keep guys like him in the lineup to wear opponents down over the course of a 7 game series. Getting your hits in early in a series can pay serious dividends.

But aside from his hits behind the play, he's a pretty useless hockey player.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

"Glass is an amorphous (non-crystalline) solid material that exhibits a glass transition. Glasses are typically brittle and can be optically transparent."

Well I think we can all agree about Tanner with regard to the amorphous solid material thing. And when he plays he is definitely "optically transparent" (invisible) while transitioning to any area of the ice. Unfortunately he has proven to be atypical in that he is not brittle enough to find a place on IR. Safety glass...just our luck. :shakehead

Haha, nice.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Ironic that the one guy named Glass on this team is in the lineup every night and the one player not made out of glass.

How could he ever get hurt? He never has possession of the puck, lays body checks that even Paul Martin thinks are weak, and is never in proper position defensively to block shots.

He could only get hurt if Brian Strait started teaching him how to hockey stop by the boards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNTlQ15fhGc

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Glass is going to score some huge goal in the playoffs and earn a lifetime contract from Shero and company

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Which would be fine if he averaged more than 2.45 hits a game. Bennett has 1.25 hits a game. Is that extra 1.2 hits really that taxing for the other team? I too think there is a lot of value in having guys that fly in and beat up the other team's dmen all night long. I just haven't seen it from Glass to be honest. Plus, now we have Morrow, Murray, and Iggy to up the physicality of our team. I don't think it's really that necessary to insert Glass in the lineup. If it were Raffi Torres we were talking about, as an example, then I'd agree.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Oh I know, but that doesn't mean he should just ignore who the best players are on his team and dress inferior ones. It's not like these players he's sitting haven't busted their ass while they were in the lineup trying to stay.

Define an 'inferior' one. BB and Glass play very different roles. Besides BB doesn't belong on the 4th line. Glass is perfectly suited on the 4th line. He plays 10 mins a night, and lays the body.

Honestly I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. While not having any points is disappointing, it's not the end of the world.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Define an 'inferior' one. BB and Glass play very different roles. Besides BB doesn't belong on the 4th line. Glass is perfectly suited on the 4th line. He plays 10 mins a night, and lays the body.

Honestly I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. While not having any points is disappointing, it's not the end of the world.

Pens HFBoard DEMANDS crisis at all times.

Playing the guy you signed for the fourth line on the fourth line? Total disaster. Having an off night against a mediocre team while missing several key players? Forget about the playoffs.

This board basically likes to act like this is a rebuilding franchise treading water in the standings.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
If the streak continues through the road trip I want everyone with tickets to the next game to have their "History Will Be Made" posters ready. Recommended format:

1 Glass, 48 Games, 0 points....

Feb2311_scrabble3_b.jpg

History Will Be Made.

If you can find your way behind our bench so the coaching staff can see it, it would be appreciated. Although if they do see it, you can bet Glass will be out the entire time there's an empty net if we have the lead. The coaches do not believe in individual records / achievements. This is a team! There is no i in team... or glass.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

Glass doesn't even play a role. He's useless.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
What if Tanner Glass reads these boards? I bet you'd all feel ****** then, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad