Chasing Glory: The 2018 Yoan Moncada Story

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I would think they would sit him before it got to that point. Then again this is the era where nobody cares about strikeouts (for hitters) anymore.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Also chasing lead for errors has 18 (3 behind leader) in AL but is the leader among 2B

Should make a poster of the Yoan story

Here can be tagline

Cant Field!
Cant Hit!
Cant Do Shit!
The Yoan Moncada Story!

The guy is a god damn bum and I am sick of other White Sox fans telling me its too early to judge him

He cant do a damn thing right. I am surprised he can even tie his shoe's but even then maybe he cant as the team might do it for him before coming out of tunnel

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I would think they would sit him before it got to that point.

Cubs did that years ago with Jose Hernandez. It was pathetic.

I wouldn't call Moncada a bust, per se. Overhyped would be a far better term. The guy is also still 23 so he still has time to live up to the hype.

Being in the AL Central, I've followed his career somewhat closely in comparison to Jeimer Candelario. Nowhere near as hyped as Moncada but they have put in fairly similar seasons for BA, OBP and SLG.

Difference being Candelario is one year older, strikes out less and is far better defensively. Moncada, however, still has the higher ceiling as of now.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's an average MLB 2B.

OPS+ of 91 which is fine for a middle infielder and his positive range numbers make up for his errors defensively to leave him as an average fielder. Currently 1.2 WAR for the season as a 23 y/o in his first full year.

Obviously Sox fans are frustrated with the Sale trade and Moncada isn't going to be the superstar he was projected as, but he'll be a solid player going forward.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Cubs did that years ago with Jose Hernandez. It was pathetic.

That's the guy I was thinking of before lol, but I was right about him being on the Brewers - he led the league in K's two of his three years in Milwaukee with 185 and 188. Amazingly the second of those seasons he slashed .288/.356/.478

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
Wasn't this guy the number one prospect in baseball last year? How could they be so wrong with this prediction?

His scouting reports always mentioned his potential to strike out a lot and he's a 23 year old so he still has plenty of time to figure things out there.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
3 K's for Moncada last night

Now 201 on year and 22 behind tying Reynolds for record with 13 games left

Stanton has 199. Judge had 208 last year. I'm not saying Moncada is as good as these guys but he's a 23 y/o on a terrible team and he's still a net positive player. I think you're really latching on to the strikeout thing a bit too much man.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Strikeout rate is still alarming.

If he was on the Yankees, he'd be at 250-300 Ks for the season.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I always thought he was overhyped. He still has time to figure it out, of course. But I'm less optimistic than I was at this time last year. He's definitely shown flashes of his immense upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad