Recalled/Assigned: Chase Pearson recalled to Detroit

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – The Detroit Red Wings on Thursday recalled center Chase Pearson from the Grand Rapids Griffins.

Pearson will join the Red Wings’ active roster for the first time in his three-year career. During the 2020-21 season, Pearson held a roster spot on Detroit’s taxi squad for two days but did not see any game time. The Alpharetta, Ga., native was selected with the 140th overall pick by Detroit in the fifth round of the 2015 NHL Entry Draft. Pearson will look to make his NHL debut and become the 191st Griffin to play in the NHL. The 24-year-old has spent the last three campaigns with the Griffins, accumulating 63 points (25-38—63) and 39 penalty minutes in 144 outings. This season, Pearson has 17 points (7-10—17) and 16 penalty minutes in 47 games with Grand Rapids. Before turning pro after the conclusion of his collegiate career in 2018-19, Pearson was a two-time captain of the University of Maine. During his three years at Maine, the center logged 78 points (37-41—78) in 107 games. In 2018-19, Pearson was named the Best Defensive Forward in the Hockey East Conference, as well as earning recognition on the Hockey East Second All-Star Team. On the international stage, Pearson won a bronze medal for the USA U19 team at the 2015-16 World Junior A Challenge when he bagged six points (2-4—6) in five contests.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
What's his playing style and ceiling? Could he be an impact player or just a plug? And why him over Berggren?

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
What's his playing style and ceiling? Could he be an impact player or just a plug? And why him over Berggren?
Two way type forward. I believe his contract is up and the Wings wanted to take a good look at him to determine if he worth resigning or not. Has struggled this season and has just come back from injury. Been snakebitten on the offensive side of his game this season. Shut down type forward and plays on the pk unit.

Berggren just started playing this week after missing the prior 3 games with the flu bug. He was struggling prior to his illness and is slowly regaining back his form. Not ready for a call up at this time.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Two way type forward. I believe his contract is up and the Wings wanted to take a good look at him to determine if he worth resigning or not. Has struggled this season and has just come back from injury. Been snakebitten on the offensive side of his game this season. Shut down type forward and plays on the pk unit.

Berggren just started playing this week after missing the prior 3 games with the flu bug. He was struggling prior to his illness and is slowly regaining back his form. Not ready for a call up at this time.
Thanks I haven't been watching GR games lately.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Tall and soft from what I saw pre-season. Was not impressed at all considering he was fighting for a roster spot, I expected more tenacity. Sometimes I think we were spoiled by Helm and LGD, they couldn't score but they were always tenacious on the puck on both ends of the ice.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Sadly, Pearson falls into the prototypical NCAA mold of not being strong/physical enough to get more looks in the NHL. That he's lasted this long is a testament to his perseverance, but I think he's slowly approaching the reality that he'll either be an AHL lifer or he'll need to move on from his playing days.

He could very well begin to show the type of play needed from the position he plays (bottom 6 forward), but his track record, thus far, hasn't shown this to be the case.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Art Regner put the bad juju on this guy by calling him Peach year after year in all of the prospect tourneys....it was especially bad this year and his game came crashing down. Chase has been invisible this year in GR and it would be a pleasant surprise if he was anything more than a body in the game tonight.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Sadly, Pearson falls into the prototypical NCAA mold of not being strong/physical enough to get more looks in the NHL. That he's lasted this long is a testament to his perseverance, but I think he's slowly approaching the reality that he'll either be an AHL lifer or he'll need to move on from his playing days.

He could very well begin to show the type of play needed from the position he plays (bottom 6 forward), but his track record, thus far, hasn't shown this to be the case.
I could think of worse ways to make a living, I'd put off getting a real world job until I'm at least 30. I think he'll float around in the AHL as well. He doesn't do anything at the NHL level as far as skill, talent, or physicality.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't think that's his problem.
I agree with G, from what he showed in the preseason, that is his problem.

4th liners need to be able to win board battles and cycle the puck in the offensive zone. Pearson does neither well.

He looked soft and lacked any sort of intensity in the preseason. He is definitely not NHL strength.

Reactions: golffuul

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I could think of worse ways to make a living, I'd put off getting a real world job until I'm at least 30. I think he'll float around in the AHL as well. He doesn't do anything at the NHL level as far as skill, talent, or physicality.
For sure. And I would like nothing more than for him to finally put it all together and be an NHL'er...but reality can be cruel.

Oct 18, 2006
I’ve always been a fan. I thought he had enough skill and enough offensive capabilities to carve out an NHL career. But this season he’s taken 10 steps backwards and has fallen off the radar after a hot start. Surprised with the call up but hopefully he can get a few games and show the talent he does possess.

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
He got a call up because the Red Wibgs have to make a decision on him this off-season and likely he won’t be back, so this is his farewell tour

Reactions: lilidk
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Don't think he deserves anything but just a try-out.

Hasn't shown anything for years, and is starting to be old to be anykind of prospect.

Griffins player. For good.
My post was from March...

I agree, he's a career AHLer for sure. I just meant he deserved a handful of games. He got his games, now he'll be in the AHL where he belongs.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
Had to move someone off the GR roster, we got a lot of young pups coming in. Got a shot. Still don't know what that whole "personal reasons" thing was but wish him luck in solving them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad