Celebrity Death: Chas from Chas and Dave dies aged 74

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Chas from Chas and Dave dies

This is one of those celebs that was more famous here in the UK and Europe (but Gertcha did get played a lot in Canada in the late 70's early 80's)
I caught them a few years ago in a small club here in the UK and was impressed by how good of musicians they were. Chas went into a few Jelly Roll Morton song that his hit good. He also talked how he backed Jerry Lee Lewis and played piano when Jerry was not "quite" ready to sing and play

obviously they did not take themselves too seriously and they had fun with their songs--like tossing in bad cockney slang terms into their songs just to see if the BBC would catch onto it.

They performed on Top of the pops one time and Chas tossed in a very old cockney rhyme into the song--BBC did not catch it--but when one of the producers visited his gran a few weeks later, she asked him why did he allow such filth on the air? When he asked what did she mean--she explained what Chas had said.

In many UK train stations they have pianos--he was on his way Paris (I think) when he decided to do an impromptu show a few years ago

Chas Hodges plays piano in St Pancras Station

not Chas--but here is a video of things that happen at St Pancreas sometimes
Tough Guy on Piano Is Asked To Play Mary Poppins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad