OT: Charlotte MLS Bid

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Major League Soccer awards expansion team to Charlotte

The Carolinas have also been a popular location for youth soccer tournaments and was chosen as the site of the 2019 adidas MLS College Showcase. Two-time defending NWSL champions North Carolina Courage have had great success in the market as well.

They literally just used what is happening in Raleigh and Cary as reason to why the Charlotte bid was so attractive.

What a slap in the face to soccer fans in the Triangle. I didn't particularly care who got the bid before, but now, this team can f*** right off.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Yup. LOL.

I'm pretty over the notion that "Carolina" is a single market.
Its bad enough they keep trying to push that, but they're literally propping up the Triangle as reasoning to why the Charlotte bid is strong while there is still a separate bid for the Triangle out there that was submitted first.

What a giant 'f*** you' to the fans in the Triangle over this. Yeah, no, I'm not supporting the Charlotte team. In fact, now I'm more likely than ever to be actively rooting against them from here on out.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Its bad enough they keep trying to push that, but they're literally propping up the Triangle as reasoning to why the Charlotte bid is strong while there is still a separate bid for the Triangle out there that was submitted first.

What a giant '**** you' to the fans in the Triangle over this. Yeah, no, I'm not supporting the Charlotte team. In fact, now I'm more likely than ever to be actively rooting against them from here on out.

That first darby, whenever it happens, will be absolutely lit. The Triangle and Charlotte kinda hate each other!

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
If it ever happens. If they are using Raleigh as a reason for Charlotte, they may not want a competitor for the Raleigh eyeballs.
Bingo

Tepper is going to use his money to keep the Raleigh bid from happening. The sheer gall he had to use what UNC had developed as well as the Courage, who are owned by NCFC as reason to why Charlotte is strong was a giant 'f*** you' to Malik and his efforts to get the MLS in Raleigh.

This bid ended it. Maybe not officially, but Tepper isn't going to want to share 'his' region.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Bingo

Tepper is going to use his money to keep the Raleigh bid from happening. The sheer gall he had to use what UNC had developed as well as the Courage, who are owned by NCFC as reason to why Charlotte is strong was a giant '**** you' to Malik and his efforts to get the MLS in Raleigh.

This bid ended it. Maybe not officially, but Tepper isn't going to want to share 'his' region.

Well, f*** him and f*** Charlotte FC. I'll pull for Atlanta first.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
To add to the slap of the face. “Screw that other city”

You know, I was ok with Charlotte being the bid till I saw this. Yep, f*** you Tepper. Way to in one sentence absolutely screw over what goodwill you had from the Triangle area for BOTH your teams. If I'm a 99.9 host or Triangle area writer I'm absolutely trashing both the Charlotte soccer team AND the Panthers in the media from here out.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
DBAP was designed by HOK -- the same folks that designed Camden Yards -- to be built up to hold 30k. Just sayin'.

Man, I just can't see the Bulls moving up to MLB. Not that I wouldn't love it, but that brand needs to stay in the ninors. It would be too weird to see them playing in MLB, even though I think the region could support it.

The problem I see is that I just don't know how you can have a MLB team in Raleigh while keeping the Bulls in Durham. Ideally, you move the Rays to Raleigh, keep the affiliation with Durham, and work to streamline as much of the front office operations for both levels to make both better.

At the same time, man.... I am not sure a team in this region can hang in a league without a salary cap playing in what would likely be the AL East or NL East. We'd get manhandled by those big money teams.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
The wording is ambiguous on “screw that other city” but he may be talking about Atlanta apparently. If it’s the Triangle, well, then I can’t wait to watch the Panthers and his new toy crash and burn

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
You know, I was ok with Charlotte being the bid till I saw this. Yep, **** you Tepper. Way to in one sentence absolutely screw over what goodwill you had from the Triangle area for BOTH your teams. If I'm a 99.9 host or Triangle area writer I'm absolutely trashing both the Charlotte soccer team AND the Panthers in the media from here out.
Someone called this out when the Canes showed their support for Tepper on Twitter, and they claimed he was talking about Atlanta.

Which, maybe its true, but given the optics, I'm calling BS

The fact he's using the soccer culture in the Triangle to bolster up Charlotte, screwing over the Triangle bid, while at the same time saying "screw that other city".... I don't buy that at all.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Someone called this out when the Canes showed their support for Tepper on Twitter, and they claimed he was talking about Atlanta.

Which, maybe its true, but given the optics, I'm calling BS

The fact he's using the soccer culture in the Triangle to bolster up Charlotte, screwing over the Triangle bid, while at the same time saying "screw that other city".... I don't buy that at all.
I would hope for his sake that's the case. And I'm onboard with that sentiment if that's what he's getting at. But there's better ways to say it, such as "screw United" if he actually meant Atlanta, though of course that brings some potential stupidity of he goes with a lazy ass naming convention like all so prevalent in MLS right now.

It's just a f***ing awful look if you are using the soccer history and culture from the other part of the state as a selling point on your bid then come out and say "screw that other city" when said other part of the state was pretty deep in to the bid process themselves.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Man, I just can't see the Bulls moving up to MLB. Not that I wouldn't love it, but that brand needs to stay in the ninors. It would be too weird to see them playing in MLB, even though I think the region could support it.

The problem I see is that I just don't know how you can have a MLB team in Raleigh while keeping the Bulls in Durham. Ideally, you move the Rays to Raleigh, keep the affiliation with Durham, and work to streamline as much of the front office operations for both levels to make both better.

At the same time, man.... I am not sure a team in this region can hang in a league without a salary cap playing in what would likely be the AL East or NL East. We'd get manhandled by those big money teams.

This would feel even stranger to me: bringing in another MLB franchise and leaving the Bulls in AAA?? I'd rather see the Bulls move up, expand DBAP, and re-brand the AAA franchise in Raleigh.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Tepper is a douche. Hope Charlotte and North Carolina tax payers are ready to build a billionaire a new football stadium and perhaps a soccer specific stadium under the threat of relocation.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

I think the idea is that the MLB team would be in Durham, not Raleigh.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
This would feel even stranger to me: bringing in another MLB franchise and leaving the Bulls in AAA?? I'd rather see the Bulls move up, expand DBAP, and re-brand the AAA franchise in Raleigh.

I think the idea is that the MLB team would be in Durham, not Raleigh.

Don't get me wrong, if the eventual plan is that the DBAP is able to be built up to MLB level and the Bulls are effectively promoted to the bigs, that would be awesome. The American Tobacco Campus is a beautiful spot to catch a game, and would provide a unique regional minor league feel to the majors that would be good for MLB.

I would worry how easily the crowds would be able to get into and out of the DBAP with a tripling of crowd sizes but there is no doubt the surrounding area is absolutely perfect for game day atmospheres with so many bars and restaurants located in the direct vicinity. Reminiscent of Wrigleyville in Chicago.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Don't get me wrong, if the eventual plan is that the DBAP is able to be built up to MLB level and the Bulls are effectively promoted to the bigs, that would be awesome. The American Tobacco Campus is a beautiful spot to catch a game, and would provide a unique regional minor league feel to the majors that would be good for MLB.

I would worry how easily the crowds would be able to get into and out of the DBAP with a tripling of crowd sizes but there is no doubt the surrounding area is absolutely perfect for game day atmospheres with so many bars and restaurants located in the direct vicinity. Reminiscent of Wrigleyville in Chicago.

Train station is two blocks away. Commuter rail is coming in 2030-ish. There are possibilities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad