Charlie McAvoy - The Minute-Muncher

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
The 20-25 minutes your 1st line is on the ice sadly isn't enough to keep me awake for the rest of the time. And really if he's so great, shouldn't he have stats to be proud of posting instead of saying "oh gotta have the eye-test"?
Great players do so much more than put pts on the Board. McAvoy is the total package, not to mention he is putting pts on the board and if you've seen him play and know anything about Hockey you'd realize this and if you haven't, and don't know anything about Hockey you'd still should be bright enough to figure out that this guy is a stud!!!!!! Hands Down!

Last edited:

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
I've been as high on McAvoy as anyone but people are correct when they say a lot of his minutes are gifted. That said, he definitely has the upside to be a #1D in this league.

One of his most underrated skills is how well he shields the puck as a d-man with his head up when he has the puck....some real dynamic qualities to his game that are genuinely rare.

For some reason, I was in the minority when I said he was the most impressive player at the WJC- when everyone was saying Chabot. It's early but I don't retract anything.

I'm not so sure about that. He plays big minutes against the other teams top lines and sees minimum PP time which hopefully will change soon. The only thing thats gifted about Charlie is his skills and the Bruins to have him.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I know as a Canes fan, I can't be complaining too much with Faulk, Slavin, Pesce, Hanifin, Fleury, etc....on the blueline, but damn, they picked Bean right before this guy and they picked Zach Boychuk right before Erik Karlsson.

Given the Canes penchant, and success in drafting American born NCAA defensemen (Jack Johnson, Dumoulin, Faulk, Slavin, Pesce, Hanifin), I wonder what their reasoning was that made them pass on Charlie? Maybe they were thinking it was more of the same of what they had and Bean was a totally different skill set? We'll probably never know.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Not enough being said about this kid. Last night he was dominant in every phase of the game. Skill is pouring out from him. He is willing, he hits, he is cocky, smooth, letting it all hang out. 29 plus minutes in last nights game. He really is a special special player. Boston has another Franchise player and he may win many Norris trophies.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Damm fun to watch him, having an incredible start to his NHL career.

Bostons blueline is going into right direction.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
He's a special player. Controls the flow of the entire game from end to end. Makes some rookie mistakes and sometimes he gets caught, but he's become my favorite player.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
I am impressed. He plays like he has been in the league for 5 years. He'll make a few rookie mistakes I am sure but while watching him I was not just impressed by his skating, poise with the puck under pressure, passing, offensive instincts, hitting, positional play, but I was impressed that it seemed like he was unfazed by anything and seemed to learn from every new situation, I don't think he is one of those guys that we are going to see making the same mistakes again and again.
He doesn't repeat mistakes, ever, not yet anyways. He is a sponge, he is every coaches dream player. Skilled, smart, humble, listens, takes criticism and learns from it instead of taking it personally, well spoken, the list goes on.

SoldiersOfFilth

Hamildone with Neely
Dec 28, 2013
Near Olympia
Saw that someone said McAvoy had a 'bad' game. If this is a bad game from him, I'll take it.

0-1-1. +2. 20:53 TOI even after 2 penalties (4 minutes).

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
He is from my town. He's a celebrity around here.

My father, who is a contractor, has previously done some work with his father who, as I'm sure you know, is a plumber (and has a shop right where I've gotten a few surfboards over the years).

I wish he got drafted by a local team so I could watch him play on one of the MSG channels; I hear nothing but good things.

Side note: Matt Gilroy grew up a few blocks from me. Rooted for him even on the Rangers, but he never had the upside that McAvoy has.

Reactions: SteveH124

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Let's hope there is not a chocolate factory in his neighborhood. He'd munch away there...

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
My father, who is a contractor, has previously done some work with his father who, as I'm sure you know, is a plumber (and has a shop right where I've gotten a few surfboards over the years).

I wish he got drafted by a local team so I could watch him play on one of the MSG channels; I hear nothing but good things.

Side note: Matt Gilroy grew up a few blocks from me. Rooted for him even on the Rangers, but he never had the upside that McAvoy has.

Yea I know mcavoy plumbing well. I recently called them with some basement drainage issues I was having

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad