Charlie McAvoy - The Minute-Muncher

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
Notable games this year include:

29:47 vs LA
29.19 vs CBJ
27:53 vs LA

Average TOI is 23:08. He's also made 40 hits in his last 10 games - the kid can throw some devastating clean hits.

This is pretty wild stuff for a 19 year old rookie. The Bruins D has been largely intact (only McQuaid has missed significant time), so it hasn't been an issue of necessity.

There has been plenty of Keller for the Calder talk, but McAvoy has to be up there. It's gonna be interesting to see if he has the stamina to keep this level up throughout the year.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
But, but... The Werenski/Provorov/Sergachev/Rielly/McAvoy thread told me he wasn't something special! :p

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Ok, he plays a lot of minutes, can I get some stats showing if he's still performing well at that workload?

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Watch him.
The 20-25 minutes your 1st line is on the ice sadly isn't enough to keep me awake for the rest of the time. And really if he's so great, shouldn't he have stats to be proud of posting instead of saying "oh gotta have the eye-test"?

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
The 20-25 minutes your 1st line is on the ice sadly isn't enough to keep me awake for the rest of the time. And really if he's so great, shouldn't he have stats to be proud of posting instead of saying "oh gotta have the eye-test"?

As mentioned the Bruins are largely healthy on defense. If he were struggling the minutes would be given to Carlo, Miller, Krug....

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Ok, he plays a lot of minutes, can I get some stats showing if he's still performing well at that workload?
He has very solid possesion numbers. On pace for 41 points. Im not close to a Bruins fan but if you actually watch him play you would understand that he is damn good, and as "predicted" by alot of "experts", he does remind me of Doughty out there.
He can move the puck, solid skater, hard to beat in the defensive zone, solid gap control and has pretty good offensive skills and very good hockey iq.

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
Not sure what kind of stats you are looking for but 2.3% rel corsi and his shot suppression charts with and without are pretty drastic. Pretty much all the Bruins D perform much better with him than without him (Chara is especially surprising), other than O'Gara and gryzelck who have combined for 58 minutes. He's not putting up great offensive numbers, 2-6 in 18, but the way he plays makes it seem like that will come. I'd like to see him shoot more.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Kids an absolute stud and monster. It’s anaxing that a Defensman his age can play those minutes and be relied on so much.

#StrongIsland

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Really shows how pathetic the Bruins blue-line is giving a kid like him that many minutes. And it's really reflected on their results - they're tied for the 2nd least wins in the conference right now.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Really shows how pathetic the Bruins blue-line is giving a kid like him that many minutes. And it's really reflected on their results - they're tied for the 2nd least wins in the conference right now.
Yes and no. I hate the Bruins and I’ve seen him play, he looks like an absolute stud out there. You could mistake him for a veteran.

But he’s given this opportunity because of Boston’s lack of quality Dmen and Chara’s decline. Kind of like Mete in Montreal who was Weber’s partner for the first 10 games because there was no one else fitted for the position.

Last edited:

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Yes and no. I hate the Bruins and I’ve seen him play, he looks like an absolute stud out there. You could mistake him for a veteran.

But he’s given this opportunity because of Boston’s lack of quality Dmen and Chara’s decline. Kind of like Mete in Montreal who was Weber’s partner for the first 10 games because there was no one else fitted for the positio .

It's the same group as last year + McAvoy (they were 9th in GAA last year). The top-4 is actually pretty good after McAvoy when go to Chara/Krug/Carlo/Miller. He's leapfrogged everyone in a very short span and has become the #1 D. You could make a case for his minutes being inflated in the the playoffs last year when they were decimated with injuries. He's just the ultimate hybrid of offense/defense/physicality. Not every element is clicking on every night, but more often than not you get 2/3.... and when it's all going he's a beast. Only 5 defenseman in the league play more at ES.

Reactions: Legionnaire

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I've been as high on McAvoy as anyone but people are correct when they say a lot of his minutes are gifted. That said, he definitely has the upside to be a #1D in this league.

One of his most underrated skills is how well he shields the puck as a d-man with his head up when he has the puck....some real dynamic qualities to his game that are genuinely rare.

For some reason, I was in the minority when I said he was the most impressive player at the WJC- when everyone was saying Chabot. It's early but I don't retract anything.

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Wow! Could you imagine they took Chabot with one of those picks? That would have been 2 nice young Defensman to build around.

The Bruins have Zboril. Who's to say that Chabot will be better than him? Besides, Boston has other great D prospects, including Lauzon, Lindgren and Urho.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad