Charlie Coyle

Lokomotiv Kersley

Sep 30, 2011
Hi Fellas,

I'm new, so please don't rip me a new one quite yet. I'm wondering how Charlie Coyle is faring with the Wild. How's his camp been? Will he make the team? I'm pretty sure he signed a pro contract (maybe while still in SJ).

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Could've posted this over on the official Wild board, but:

He looked good in camp. Had good/great chemistry with Zucker and the two could have basically played with a beer leaguer and make the guy look good. Together, they were very very good.

He has an NHL body and probably could play in the NHL this season, but he just didn't stay around. I'm pretty sure it was planned that he goes back to Boston before camp even started and as impressive as he was he still needed another year of non-NHL development. Hasn't signed a pro contract yet because he hasn't been offered one. If he signed one he wouldn't be able to play college anymore, and he's at the stage in his career where another NCAA year will benefit his development.

There is a chance he gets a pro contract at the end of his NCAA season, especially if the Wild are out of it and sell off a few UFAs at the trade deadline, then he gets a few NHL games at the end of the season. Otherwise, look for him to crack the NHL roster the next season.

Last edited:

member 30781

Could've posted this over on the official Wild board, but:

He looked good in camp. Had good/great chemistry with Zucker and the two could have basically played with a beer leaguer and make the guy look good. Together, they were very very good.

He has an NHL body and probably could play in the NHL this season, but he just didn't stay around. I'm pretty sure it was planned that he goes back to Boston before camp even started and as impressive as he was he still needed another year of non-NHL development. Hasn't signed a pro contract yet because he hasn't been offered one. If he signed one he wouldn't be able to play college anymore, and he's at the stage in his career where another NCAA year will benefit his development.

There is a chance he gets a pro contract at the end of his NCAA season, especially if the Wild are out of it and sell off a few UFAs at the trade deadline, then he gets a few NHL games at the end of the season. Otherwise, look for him to crack the NHL roster the next season.

NCAA players are not allowed to go to any NHL camps as it directly interferes with their schooling. They would need to sign a contract prior to camp if they wanted to stick around for it.

Lokomotiv Kersley

Sep 30, 2011
THanks guys. Tough to get good Wild info out here on the left coast. I tend to avoid team boards because the homers think every prospect will be Sidney Crosby or Bobby Orr. I'd thought he brought a contract from SJ, but obviously I was wrong. You guys were great.

mkoivu9*

Coyle scores in first game with Saint John (Huberdeau,Phillips). That's quite the line.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Watch him vs Halifax from this past saturday. scored 2 goal in 9 seconds. new team record. He's such a big guy, beast along the board and has great hands to finnish play from Huberdeau and Phillips.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
His former coach, Jack Parker had some interesting comments about his success in Saint John:

It’s a lot easier and it’s not as good a competition. Charlie was an 18-year-old as a freshman and a 19-year-old here and playing 22-, 23-, 24- and sometimes 25-year-olds. Now he is a 19-year-old playing against 17-year-olds. There is no way that’s as good for him. But it looks better on his stat sheet.
http://www.thebostonhockeyblog.com/2012/03/jack-parker-reacts-to-charlie-coyles.html

BLBarmada

His former coach, Jack Parker had some interesting comments about his success in Saint John:

http://www.thebostonhockeyblog.com/2012/03/jack-parker-reacts-to-charlie-coyles.html

Haters gonna hate !

The Wild, Coyle and many logical people know that this is best for his development, and he's playing in a better league, age is just a #, going through playoffs in the Q will be great for him, Q playoffs are nasty.

He's also in a great program, look at what they made out of Huberdeau.

Parker's just pissed cause another player saw the light.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
I love how people are up in arms over Parker's comments.

While I don't agree with him, but what did you expect him to say on the record? In this day in age where each side of the CHL/NCAA battle, his comments don't surprise me.

I am sure he would take half the Saint John team in heartbeat.

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA

While I don't agree with him, but what did you expect him to say on the record? In this day in age where each side of the CHL/NCAA battle, his comments don't surprise me.

And I'm sure Saint John would like to replace their scrubs with BU's top guys. It goes both ways. Top NCAA teams and top CHL teams have similar makeups with many NHL talents and a bunch of scrubs. Only difference is that in the NCAA those scrubs are in their young 20's.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
And I'm sure Saint John would like to replace their scrubs with BU's top guys. It goes both ways. Top NCAA teams and top CHL teams have similar makeups with many NHL talents and a bunch of scrubs. Only difference is that in the NCAA those scrubs are in their young 20's.

Agreed with that statement about Saint John wanting BU top U-20 players

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

And I'm sure Saint Johns would take a guy like Matty Nieto in a heartbeat. Both teams would like the best players on the other.

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Agreed with that statement about Saint John wanting BU top U-20 players

And I'm sure Saint Johns would take a guy like Matty Nieto in a heartbeat. Both teams would like the best players on the other.

Saint John would destroy everyone if they added Matt Nieto, Alex Chiasson, Adam Clendening, and Sahir Gill to their team.

Likewise for BU if they added Huberdeau, Phillips, Jurco, and Beaulieu to their team. That said, Saint John is an absolutely elite and dominant team with multiple top end talents on the team which is definitely a step up from BU's current team (BU is a contender, but not heads and shoulders above other NCAA teams).

BLBarmada

Saint John would destroy everyone if they added Matt Nieto, Alex Chiasson, Adam Clendening, and Sahir Gill to their team.

Even without them they've won like 15 straight........

Imagine if they had them.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
Do you guys

Do you guys see him as a top line talent, or 2nd line talent?

I'm guessing 2nd.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I have. Very talented player. North-south type of power forward. Real good size and skating ability. Reminds me of Blake Wheeler with the puck. Has a nice wrist shot. Always wants the puck.

If I was the Wild I would be very happy to have him. He has a good chance of making your team next year I think.

squidz*

Is Saint John still playing him at wing with Phillips at center? That seems to be a setup that would be better off reversed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad