Charlie Coyle

Schenn 4 Calder

May 20, 2009
He's listed at number 11 on The Hockey News' Prospect Watch Issue, and I'm just wondering what he's done since the draft to move himself up so much? What things were teams worried about at draft time, and how has he improved on those?

As well, would it be worth it to give up my 1st round entry pick this year (14-16 overall) in my fantasy keeper league for him?

All input is welcomed!

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
kind of a bad day to compare him to that player but I thought he was similar to Max Pacioretty. He'll do everything well. He may not be a high end scorer, but he'll help the team offensively. He's physical, plays good defense, strong skater and a player who's much needed on any team. The only thing Coyle had going against him was that he played in the EJHL last season.

Schenn 4 Calder

May 20, 2009
kind of a bad day to compare him to that player but I thought he was similar to Max Pacioretty. He'll do everything well. He may not be a high end scorer, but he'll help the team offensively. He's physical, plays good defense, strong skater and a player who's much needed on any team. The only thing Coyle had going against him was that he played in the EJHL last season.

Alright thanks, that's the impression I had of him. What about the trade offer though? Would it be worth it to give up a 14-16 pick in this draft for him, or is he not explosive enough offensively? I would probably be looking at a guy like Sven Bartschi, or Puempel or someone like that if I kept the pick.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Yea this is what I see in him. Love him, really wish the Rangers could get him.

Well, we want Kreider too, but it ain't happenin'. ;) Those two looked great next to each other at the WJC.

And to the OP, I wouldn't take the pick because the draft sucks and pick #'s 10-25 don't have much separation. If you can get into, say, top 7, do it. Otherwise no.

Nov 26, 2010
NJ
This kid is definitely for real, just by the way he played in the WJC this year. It's remarkable the way he adjusted to both the pace at BU and the WJC only a year removed from the EJHL

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
This kid is definitely for real, just by the way he played in the WJC this year. It's remarkable the way he adjusted to both the pace at BU and the WJC only a year removed from the EJHL

I'm surprised to see him doing so well, the EJHL is, simply put, a weaker league and I didn't expect him to be doing so well. A good surprise, of course. :D

Nov 26, 2010
NJ
I'm surprised to see him doing so well, the EJHL is, simply put, a weaker league and I didn't expect him to be doing so well. A good surprise, of course. :D

Yeah the EJ is definitely a weaker league, but many D1 players come out of there. But that being said, very few up and coming NHL prospects spend much time in this league. Its about 2 steps down from the USHL and multiple steps down from the Canadian Major Junior leagues.

Schenn 4 Calder

May 20, 2009
Well, we want Kreider too, but it ain't happenin'. ;) Those two looked great next to each other at the WJC.

And to the OP, I wouldn't take the pick because the draft sucks and pick #'s 10-25 don't have much separation. If you can get into, say, top 7, do it. Otherwise no.

I'd be the one getting Coyle and giving up the pick.. so I'm assuming that's a yes from you?

Schenn 4 Calder

May 20, 2009
alright thanks. anyone else's opinion on the trade? im looking for a couple ofopinions before i make my official decision (no offence intended to the poster above, i just like to see a few different views)

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Only 2011 draftees available to you? If not, who are some of the other (i.e. non-2011) top names available?

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
bigger Pavelski, more mobile Ryane Clowe.

his stock has been rising ever since the draft. he was one of the best in the combine/workouts. downgraded cuz he played against worse competition (Bjugstad has become a player too coming outta HS).

he does a lot of things well, so he'll be a 3rd liner at worst. best case scenario: top line center. it's looking more like the latter now, but hes still in college..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad