Charlie Coyle

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
This guys looked as good as Huberdeau in his stint in the Q....

Is he just the product of a good team can he translate his game to the NHL?

I was really impressed with his overall game the few times I saw him. One thing that really stuck out for me was he ability to cause turnovers. Stripping the puck, batting pucks out of mid air, he was very very solid on his skates as well.

Dutch Dreams

Sep 20, 2009
Guy is probably the best prospect outside of the NHL.

Real high on him right now.

Just does everything very well, and plays an NHL-type game already.

Good size too. Will be a very good all-around player. I see Jamie Benn/David Backes-type upside in him.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA

Good size too. Will be a very good all-around player. I see Jamie Benn/David Backes-type upside in him.

Holy overrated batman. Top ten maybe, but best? No way.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Coyle was also drafted a year before guys like Huberdeau, and he played in a much tougher league before he went to the Q.

I'm super excited to have Granlund, Phillips, and Coyle in the Wild prospect pool, hoping all of them become top-6 players, but I wouldn't say Coyle is the best prospect outside the NHL.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
I'd be thrilled if he turned out to be a Backes-like player. Haven't seen him play at all since going to the Q but it's not all that surprising he's more or less dominating the competition given what level of hockey he's coming from. Won't put too much stock into him until he moves past the CHL level but it's hard not to have higher hopes for him.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada

No. No he's not:laugh:

Huberdeau, Kuznetzkov, Hamilton, Granlund, Tarasenko, Gormley.... The list goes on. Coyle is a solid player, but you can't really believe he is the best out of all of these guys.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
No. No he's not:laugh:

Huberdeau, Kuznetzkov, Hamilton, Granlund, Tarasenko, Gormley.... The list goes on. Coyle is a solid player, but you can't really believe he is the best out of all of these guys.

Not to mention more than a few guys in this years draft.

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
Phillips 23pts in 9 games... Just like Coyle, and we all know and saw that Huberdeau is far superior than Phillips... pts aren't everything.

Thats being said, Coyle is a good addition for the SeaDogs for sure.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He wasnt donig much in the NCAA this year and then took a step back to a lesser league on a dominate team, hes obviously going to look good. Hes the type of player who puts up dominate points in junior because hes bigger and stronger then a lot of the younger kids, most power forward types do but then take until their late 20s to start scoring in the NHL

BLBarmada

God I'm tired of this lesser league crap...

Hes playing against the Q's cream of the crop now his stats will go down.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I think it was very good for Coyle to go to the CHL for a little bit, watching his offensive skills its kind of night and day compared to the NCAA, he just has a bit more room to be creative and properly develop his offensive instincts. I think next year he will be AHL bound, but this year was all about focusing more on hockey for him and he has definitely taken several steps forward over the last few months IMO, guy has been good defensively throughout his development, but for a Wild team that is lacking offense, we have to be happy that he is working on his scoring skills now, off the highlights I have seen during the playoffs, Coyle (and Phillips) have been dangerous almost every shift and looked very creative. I had my reservations about Coyle but he has had a great year so far and has really raised his game in my eyes, its good to see a late first rounder developing so well and hopefully he can continue to get better and translate his skills to the NHL within the next 2 years.

canucksPK

May 9, 2011
Okanagan BC
IMO the Q is a more nhl relative style of hockey than NCAA, a guy with Coyle's size, speed, skill and compete level putting up huge numbers and showing good chemistry with a guy he could possibly play with at nhl level in Phillips. I think Coyle is a top 10 prospect for the nhl not including this years draft. Future 60 point guy with a very good 2-way game and physical presence. Paid Stalberg, Huselius and Lander for him in my fantasy league haha.. yeah i like him.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
yeah Setoguchi and Coyle for Burns would be bad enough

but they got Phillips too :laugh:

Not really though. They got the pick that drafted him. San Jose wilfully traded Coyle and Setoguchi but they only traded the pick that drafted Phillips. It's not like they evaluated him and were fine trading him. Likely they looked at him but not in the same way they would have looked at trading Coyle.

That's the part that has to hurt. Granted Burns is signed long term and still young so it could turn out fine but giving up Coyle has to hurt at least a little. He's only improved since they traded him and they traded him when he had already become one of the more successful prospects drafted that year.

habitue*

Its very true and thats not saying much for the Q.

Eleven ot the top thirty point getters in the actual NHL playoffs are products from the Q. Among them, Claude Giroux....

Last edited by a moderator:

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
He wasnt donig much in the NCAA this year and then took a step back to a lesser league on a dominate team, hes obviously going to look good. Hes the type of player who puts up dominate points in junior because hes bigger and stronger then a lot of the younger kids, most power forward types do but then take until their late 20s to start scoring in the NHL

14 points in 16 games with BU "isn't much?"

Casper

30 goal grinder
Mar 23, 2010
MN
14 points in 16 games with BU "isn't much?"

well it wasn't really the amount of points but the amount of goals that was disappointing.

His point total is definitely inflated by his size but also is fairly indicative of his talent as well.

Powerforwards develop slowly. Hopefully the wild let him develop in the AHL for the year against some players his own size. Give him all the key ice time he can handle and let him hone his game until he is truly ready.

GoBU19

Sep 25, 2011
PPG pace scoring in NCAA as an underclassman is outstanding, you can't expect numbers like in juniors in NCAA where true underclassmen are competing with 22-23 year old men.

Casper

30 goal grinder
Mar 23, 2010
MN
PPG pace scoring in NCAA as an underclassman is outstanding, you can't expect numbers like in juniors in NCAA where true underclassmen are competing with 22-23 year old men.

yeah. he is kinda of at a weird stage in his development. almost too physical developed for the Q but too inexperienced at the college level to show his true skill.

My point was just that his point totals in his Q definitely reflect his skill but at the same time are a little inflated.

High hopes for this kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad