Player Discussion Charlie Coyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'd like to see more video of him but I haven't seen him be enough of a quick shooter to score 30+ in the NHL. Mikko's got a better shot and he barely scratches 20 most of the time. I think he'd be a lot like Mikko, or a poor man's Thornton, both of which are 20g and 40-50a.

Yeah, I just figured he'd be the guy that really went to the net on that type of line and he'd get a lot of goals off rebounds/deflections/tap ins.

squidz*

I'd like to see more video of him but I haven't seen him be enough of a quick shooter to score 30+ in the NHL. Mikko's got a better shot and he barely scratches 20 most of the time. I think he'd be a lot like Mikko, or a poor man's Thornton, both of which are 20g and 40-50a.

Coyle's very capable of being a garbage collector like Bruno. He had a career best of 27-56-83 in 82 games (06-07). I think a good ceiling estimate for Coyle is that 25g 50a area. However, I think he'll need to be supporting cast on a top line if it's going to be a dominant line. He won't drag down a top line, but I don't think he can elevate his teammates. Fortunately, that's what Granlund's for.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I think his offensive production could be that of Mikko, who's not that great offensively. Mikko could be a 70 point center and Coyle could be a 70 point center. I really don't see much difference between them.

The difference I see in the two is that Koivu has very good vision and very good playmaking skills.

I think Coyle can develop his game to the point where his physical game, his forechecking ability, his two-way vision as well as his cycling game can be just as good as Koivu's. But I don't think he can make those creative, accurate passes Koivu can.

And since Koivu is more of a regular 70pt player, I try to downgrade my expectations with Coyle and feel 50pt is a reasonable celing.

Again, my expectations is a 20-30-50pt player, lead team with takeaways, top PKing forward

Jarick

Doing Nothing
If he can do that, he can replace Lats effectively. Not quite as big but certainly stronger and in better shape.

Coyle is almost identical to Koivu in terms of build and skillset. The difference is Mikko likes to hang way back in the offensive zone to play third defenseman. If Coyle gets it in his head to be a net-crasher, he can be a 30-goal guy. If he hangs back to play D, he'll be closer to 20.

Neither of them strike me as natural goal scorers, players who have the instinct to get to the scoring areas. But certainly Mikko is evidence you can rely on your physical gifts and hard work and carve out a nice career for yourself.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
I think Coyle is a the next Jeff Carter big physical forward who can play center and wing..uses his body and smarts to get into shooting areas and scores goals(he is Jeff Carter)...and if we get the next Jeff Carter 1A...that would be fine with me.

PS for every knocking on him for dominating as an overeager...isnt that what he is supposed to do? Its hard for him to prove more..let him do that next year. If you need more proof go look at what he did at the WJC against his peers.

We have a good one coming to Minnesota. Maybe its because he wasn't an original draft pick but I'm not sure why he is so underrated. He could very easily be our best prospect...yes even better than Granlund!

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
I think Coyle is a the next Jeff Carter big physical forward who can play center and wing..uses his body and smarts to get into shooting areas and scores goals(he is Jeff Carter)...and if we get the next Jeff Carter 1A...that would be fine with me.

PS for every knocking on him for dominating as an overeager...isnt that what he is supposed to do? Its hard for him to prove more..let him do that next year. If you need more proof go look at what he did at the WJC against his peers.

We have a good one coming to Minnesota. Maybe its because he wasn't an original draft pick but I'm not sure why he is so underrated. He could very easily be our best prospect...yes even better than Granlund!

I don't think Coyle has anywhere near the shot that Carter has.

He's looking a lot more like Getzlaf or Backes than anyone else, if we had to pick a pie-in-the-sky association. Power forward, can shoot but may well end up being more of a setup man, etc.

He doesn't use it as often as he should anymore and he's not the player he used to be, but there are VERY few pure shooters like Carter. The guy can flat out snipe.

I've never heard anyone rant and rave about Coyle's shot.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Yeah, Coyle isn't a sniper by far. I would venture that Latendresse has a much better shot than Coyle.

I think the Koivu comparison is close. But a winger version, who goes for the big hit.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
I don't think Coyle has anywhere near the shot that Carter has.

He's looking a lot more like Getzlaf or Backes than anyone else, if we had to pick a pie-in-the-sky association. Power forward, can shoot but may well end up being more of a setup man, etc.

He doesn't use it as often as he should anymore and he's not the player he used to be, but there are VERY few pure shooters like Carter. The guy can flat out snipe.

I've never heard anyone rant and rave about Coyle's shot.

Getzlaf is world class playmaker on such a high level, Coyle is not really much of a playmaker in my eyes. I like the Backes comparison though. Good two way gritty player who can pot some goals.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
Getzlaf is world class playmaker on such a high level, Coyle is not really much of a playmaker in my eyes. I like the Backes comparison though. Good two way gritty player who can pot some goals.

I was using Getzlaf more as an example of a power-forward who's also a playmaker. Not trying to imply that Coyle will be as good as Getzlaf, at all.

Not that I'd argue, mind you. But it was more a stylistic reference than an end result.

Does anyone know if Backes has been playing center in the playoffs? Almost everywhere I look he's just listed as C/W.

Billy Mays Here*

I doubt he'll make the squad right out of camp (especially if Lats is re-signed and we have a healthy Butch). Do you guys think he has a better chance of being an injury call-up this coming season or making the squad out of camp for the 2013-2014 season?

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
I doubt he'll make the squad right out of camp (especially if Lats is re-signed and we have a healthy Butch). Do you guys think he has a better chance of being an injury call-up this coming season or making the squad out of camp for the 2013-2014 season?

I think the only way he doesn't make it right off the bat is if both Latendresse and Bouchard are on the opening day roster. Without them, we have no 2nd line wings, so he could slot in alongside Granlund and Cullen.. Even if one of those guys comes back, he could play with Clutter and Brodziak on the 3rd line.

He'll probably be battling with Larsson for that last top 9 spot.

squidz*

I think the only way he doesn't make it right off the bat is if both Latendresse and Bouchard are on the opening day roster. Without them, we have no 2nd line wings, so he could slot in alongside Granlund and Cullen.. Even if one of those guys comes back, he could play with Clutter and Brodziak on the 3rd line.

He'll probably be battling with Larsson for that last top 9 spot.

I think you haven't looked at the depth chart recently. Assuming Granlund starts at wing (which is pretty much a certainty at this point:

Heatley-Koivu-Granlund
Seto-Cullen-[Open]
[Open]-Brodziak-Clutterbuck
Johnson-Powe-Kassian

Even if Granlund starts at center, that will move Cullen to wing, likely on the 2nd line (unless we sign someone for the top 6 and have another rookie amaze):

Heatley-Koivu-Seto
Cullen-Granlund-[Open]

I'm expecting one of Lats/Butch to be available, which fills our top 6. The only way Coyle makes the team out of camp is if he beats out both Larsson and Bulmer for the last open spot, we don't sign anyone, at least one of Lats/Butch isn't playing, and nothing surprising happens with the 4th line and our "lesser" prospects.

Unless the team is determined to have Bulmer play in Houston to continue to develop his offensive game, the only prospect I can see beating him out is Larsson, unless Coyle steps in and does well enough to threaten Granlund's spot on the roster.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
I think you haven't looked at the depth chart recently. Assuming Granlund starts at wing (which is pretty much a certainty at this point:

Heatley-Koivu-Granlund
Seto-Cullen-[Open]
Johnson-Powe-Kassian

Even if Granlund starts at center, that will move Cullen to wing, likely on the 2nd line (unless we sign someone for the top 6 and have another rookie amaze):

Heatley-Koivu-Seto
Cullen-Granlund-[Open]

I'm expecting one of Lats/Butch to be available, which fills our top 6. The only way Coyle makes the team out of camp is if he beats out both Larsson and Bulmer for the last open spot, we don't sign anyone, at least one of Lats/Butch isn't playing, and nothing surprising happens with the 4th line and our "lesser" prospects.

Unless the team is determined to have Bulmer play in Houston to continue to develop his offensive game, the only prospect I can see beating him out is Larsson, unless Coyle steps in and does well enough to threaten Granlund's spot on the roster.

True, forgot about Granlund.

If the Wild get a healthy Lats back I'd be more than happy to see Coyle start in Houston; I'd still say the chances of either Bouchard or Gui playing in Minnesota next season is still less than 50-50.

I'm not really counting on Parise or any high profile top 6 forward either. I know the owner is blustering about making a splash, but he's not the GM. Maybe Fletch can find a deal that makes sense, but until that happens, you have to use the players you got.

I also wouldn't discount the idea of Bulmer starting out on Powe's line. Johnson and Kassian are far from shoo-ins.

squidz*

If the Wild get a healthy Lats back I'd be more than happy to see Coyle start in Houston; I'd still say the chances of either Bouchard or Gui playing in Minnesota next season is still less than 50-50.

I'm not really counting on Parise or any high profile top 6 forward either. I know the owner is blustering about making a splash, but he's not the GM. Maybe Fletch can find a deal that makes sense, but until that happens, you have to use the players you got.

I also wouldn't discount the idea of Bulmer starting out on Powe's line. Johnson and Kassian are far from shoo-ins.

Bulmer's pretty much Top-9 or Houston. If they were willing to have him sit around on a fourth line, he would have never gone back to Kelowna this year. With Houston as an option this year, I can't imagine them even thinking about giving him 7 minutes a night. If Johnson and Kassian are question marks, either the presumed 13th forward we'll sign or one of our Almond/McIntyre/MacMillan type guys will probably be used to fill the hole.

Billy Mays Here*

Forgot about Granlund? :speechles

Why I oughta. . . .

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
Bulmer's pretty much Top-9 or Houston. If they were willing to have him sit around on a fourth line, he would have never gone back to Kelowna this year. With Houston as an option this year, I can't imagine them even thinking about giving him 7 minutes a night. If Johnson and Kassian are question marks, either the presumed 13th forward we'll sign or one of our Almond/McIntyre/MacMillan type guys will probably be used to fill the hole.

As I recall, Bulmer had pretty much taken Gillies spot on the 3rd line by the time he was sent back. I don't think that's why they sent him back.

Anyhoo, I'm not advocating they play him on the 4th line; I just wouldn't be overly surprised if it happened.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota

Heatley-Koivu-Granlund
Seto-Cullen-[Open]
Johnson-Powe-Kassian

Heatley-Koivu-Seto
Cullen-Granlund-[Open]

I think your spot on except I don't see Johnson getting brought back...Kassian may make the roster but won't be playing 82 games...so we will carry another forward there.

Lets say only Bouchard comes back..that means its going to be Larsson/Bulmer/Coyle/Zucker battling it out for 1 3rd line spot and 1 4th line spot.

It sounds like Larssons game can play 3rd line so I think he will be Bulmer's biggest challenge for a roster spot.

This is my prediction for right now...

Heatley-Koivu-Granlund
Seto-Cullen-Bouchard
Bulmer-Brodziak-Clutterbuck
??-Powe-Kassian/????

After looking at it I have many questions...would they play the kids on the 4th line?? I think they'd be better off letting Larsson/Coyle/Zucker/Bulmer play in the AHL unless they are playing top 9 up here. Gonna be interesting to say the least!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad