Confirmed with Link: Charlie Coyle signs 5-year extension [3.2m AAV]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Fletcher is on a run of very good contracts at the moment.

There hasn't been a head scratcher since, well, remind me...

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Obviously a "pay for potential" type deal, as it's pretty clear he hasn't "earned" a 5 year deal, but it's actually not far off from what his floor appears to be.

Plus, we all know they're going to give him every opportunity to earn that money.

Kuemper 2
Nino 3
??? 4
Coyle 5
Brodin 6

I can't be the only one who has seen this pattern...

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
Pretty much a 3rd liner cap hit which is where he is at currently. Good deal.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Kuemper 2
Nino 3
??? 4
Coyle 5
Brodin 6

I can't be the only one who has seen this pattern...

It's a damn good strategy to have them staggered like that, that way we won't ever see a sudden exodus of our young guys, and with the cap going up year after year there should be plenty of room for well deserved raises as they all get into their primes.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
Just another great signing by GMCF in my opinion. He has some upside albeit slow and steady.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I have lower expectations for Coyle's offensive production than some people, but I can live with this contract.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He really is on a similar path as Koivu in terms of offensive production. At least it feels like it.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
He really is on a similar path as Koivu in terms of offensive production. At least it feels like it.
You'd never know it from this board, but Koivu has much better hands than Coyle. But Coyle is faster and goes to the front of the net more than Koivu ever did.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think Coyle has good hands ( anyone remember a shootout goal from last year where he absolutely dangled the goalie and scored?) but he's sort of like a bruising power forward who can't find the delicacy needed for his shooting touch because he is so busy banging bodies. Those moves may or may not come as he grows into his NHL game.

What I want to see from him is more selfishness when it comes to taking a 20-35 foot shot. He almost always defers and passes it off. I want him blasting away and getting his 230 lbs. behind a hard shot. We have too many "deferrers" on this team already.

With his big body he should be able to hold his ground in the slot better than players like Granlund, Haula, Zucker, etc..

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
this is good news but i wonder in 2 or 3 years when tuch is ready whose roster spot does he take??????????????????????

Coyle doesn't block anyone from making the team if they force the issue. Besides the expiring deals between now and then, if Coyle is to be replaced by Tuch, Coyle's deal makes him very tradable as well if the need arises.

Slick Willy*

I like him. Glad he is going to be here for a while. But I'd rather we have a guy like Bjugstad at that price.

I mean Coyle didn't even put up massive numbers in weaker East Coast high school hockey. Comparable to Nick Bjugstad who was putting up monster numbers in the toughest high school hockey in the country and even bigger numbers bigger numbers in college (led the NCAA in goals one season) Both guys are 22;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Coyle#Career_statistics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Bjugstad#Career_statistics

Bjugstad was drafted 19 overall in 2010; Coyle was drafted 28 in 2010. Both are being paid the same this season. Bjugstad's NCAA numbers tower over Coyle's. I watch the Panthers regularly to see Bjugstad and he's just electric - on the verge of being a big time goal scorer. I will compare how Bjugstad's contract is handled comparable to Coyle.

No question it is over payment at the moment.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
I like him. Glad he is going to be here for a while. But I'd rather we have a guy like Bjugstad at that price.

I mean Coyle didn't even put up massive numbers in weaker East Coast high school hockey. Comparable to Nick Bjugstad who was putting up monster numbers in the toughest high school hockey in the country and even bigger numbers bigger numbers in college (led the NCAA in goals one season) Both guys are 22;

Bjugstad was drafted 19 overall in 2010; Coyle was drafted 28 in 2010. Both are being paid the same this season. Bjugstad's NCAA numbers tower over Coyle's. I watch the Panthers regularly to see Bjugstad and he's just electric - on the verge of being a big time goal scorer. I will compare how Bjugstad's contract is handled comparable to Coyle.

And I'd rather have MacKinnon for the price, you can't compare ELCs to second contracts. Bjugstad's next contract is going to be higher than Coyle's.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Yeah, we definitely should've replaced Coyle with Bjugstad in the Burns trade... Wait, what?

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Bjugstad is actually getting paid a little more, but they're both on ELCs. Also, what the flying **** does Bjugstad have to do with Coyle? It's not like we could chose, or the team's cap situations are similar, or prospect pools, etc.
I'm guessing Bjugstad signs as short a contract as feasible.

Slick Willy*

What I'm doing is taking a guy of comparable everything (age, league played [NCAA], draft year, size) and making a comparison.

I guess I'm comparing apples-oranges though. I think for the price though we have in the meantime overpaid.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
Like the deal. As most of you had said, it's not a terrible deal in any stretch. I'd expect at least some improvement over the next few years if not a breakout. If he breaks out, it's a steal for a long 5 years. If he is just solid I wouldn't fret too much over the deal. If he doesn't develop here it's also a number where he could be moved if the situation warranted.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i could be wrong here but i think even at the price of this contract Coyle would have more points per dollar than parise. just sayin. there are a bunch of ways to look at worth. I think it's a safe bet Coyle will score more than last year, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad