Charles Wang dead at 74

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Allot of current and former sports team owners have been passing as of late.

Though his tenure was tumultuous at times, he was committed to keeping the Isles in the NY area. It took many plans to get it done but they're in a good place now and Charles was a part of it.

RIP Mr. Wang

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
The Coyotes just put out a statement on social media acknowledging Wang as a minority owner.

Were the Coyotes the 1st team (or 1st team besides the Islanders) to make a consolation statement? It's to their credit if they were that fast/that on top of the ball, at least on their public relations/social media side.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Were the Coyotes the 1st team (or 1st team besides the Islanders) to make a consolation statement? It's to their credit if they were that fast/that on top of the ball, at least on their public relations/social media side.

Not sure. But the irony of it is, if you remember, Andrew Barroway had sued Wang over backing out of a tentative agreement that would have had a group headed by Barroway owning the Islanders.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Killion they are still in the NY market instead of who knows where.

They are not where they belong, on LI. Brooklyn might as well be Orange County, CA. You really want me to give you a review of the Life & Times of Charlie Wang?.... Grifter. Megalomaniac. Micro managing self centered control freak Grifter. Zero conscience. In short, a P.O.S.... waste of oxygen. Good riddance. He who brought us Computer Associates, Andrew Barroway... Yeah, wonderful human being. :shakehead

Reactions: Llama19

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
#1 - They were never going to leave the NY market as long as there was a structure that could fit hockey besides MSG they could cut a deal in.

#2 - No matter what his true motives (real estate developing). The fact is the Islanders were in a financial prison of the SMG lease. And the only way out was serving their time on that lease.

The only reason for anyone to own the franchise was the real estate angle. A long play where you lose tens of millions until the lease was up is illogical and terrible business, since it was FIFTEEN YEARS to the end of the lease when he bought the Islanders.

If no one was willing to own the franchise with that lease... who knows what happens?

To have a guy buy a losing asset, pump money into it and say "I don't know hockey, but I'm willing to spend on what the hockey people want" was a fantastic thing that not many cut-throat businessmen would ever do. It's borderline philanthropy.

Again, the real estate angle obviously existed and getting the Islanders fans on your side and you have an army of those supporting your development project is smart lobbying, so I'm not placing "pure motives" onto his actions.

But the actions were the best we could have hoped for given the bleak circumstances. So my feelings for Wang will always be a little warm and fuzzy. Even if he wasn't smart enough to fire Snow and bring in better hockey people.

Reactions: Fenway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad