Newsday: Charles Wang’s greatest victory: Keeping Isles in NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Actually the cable deal has increasing annual payouts to the Islanders, so that by the end of the deal in 2031 the Islanders will be receiving something like $35M/yr. from Dolan.:laugh:
Holy hell. Only 15 mil less than the arena deal for just a TV contract. Did Spano actually negotiate that?
I can't argue with the points you're making in this thread but...... You are only presenting one side. He showed a lot of patience through the Lighthouse fiasco and again the team is still in the NY area. For me that goes a long way as the Isles have essentially been a dead franchise since the cup years. He held on for 15 years!! That is an awfully long time to hold onto a depreciating/bad asset. All the points about his poor stewardship are fair BUT you cannot just ignore the fact that we are still in New York. At the end of the day we wouldn't be having this conversation if he up and left. Ask the St. Louis Rams fans how they feel about their "hometown owner" right now.

I get that, but the only reason he held on for 15 years through all of it was because moving out of the tri-state area would've actually been worse financially. He had to get a deal done in an area that MSG would broadcast in.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I get that, but the only reason he held on for 15 years through all of it was because moving out of the tri-state area would've actually been worse financially. He had to get a deal done in an area that MSG would broadcast in.

Thank you. Imagine someone telling you you could sleep with any supermodel, actress, or female athlete of your choice whenever you wanted, but you had to get a job and reside in the New York area (which also happens to be where you're from). Plus if you got a job in any other city you wouldn't have the same choice of women and the quality would downgrade significantly.

Think there's anything that Kansas City or Quebec could say or do to get you to leave NY?

The salary cap is the same in every city, but no matter where wang moved the Islanders outside of NY he would have had significantly less revenue coming in. Not only that he owned the team since 2000 and has ZERO options to break the Coliseum lease until at least 2015. So while it looked like wang so so loyal to Nassau/NY, there was never really a choice.

He was never leaving and therefore saved nothing.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
Again, he didn't have to move the team, but in no way would he get a TV deal remotely as good as the one now. Leaving that much money on the table would've been beyond idiotic and is the whole reason the team stayed. It had nothing to do with him "wanting the team on the island".

I could understand that point if it was the case that Wang wanted to own the team and make profit from running the franchise (even he had greater ticket/sales revenue from a place like Quebec, the TV deal wouldn't be nearly as good as it was here). But that narrative doesn't make a lot of sense considering he sold the team and was looking to sell the seem for a few years. He isn't going to see any of that cable money once the team is owned by someone else. Here is a quote from a USA Today article:

"Wang, who sold the team in 2014 after agreeing to a 25-year lease in Brooklyn, could have sold earlier to prospective buyers who hoped to move the team."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ove-barclays-center-nassau-coliseum/72924262/

and then Doug Weight says:

“Things could’ve been worse. Charles kept us relatively close,†Weight said. “He’s lived here a long time. He put his stamp on the island, and he wanted the team to stay here for the tradition. Charles was adamant about keeping the New York Islanders name and logo.â€

There are plenty of things that infuriated me about Wang, particularly that he meddled way too much in hockey operations. But I think this idea that he didn't at all care about the team's legacy, future or it's fans is simply not fair.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I could understand that point if it was the case that Wang wanted to own the team and make profit from running the franchise (even he had greater ticket/sales revenue from a place like Quebec, the TV deal wouldn't be nearly as good as it was here). But that narrative doesn't make a lot of sense considering he sold the team and was looking to sell the seem for a few years. He isn't going to see any of that cable money once the team is owned by someone else. Here is a quote from a USA Today article:

"Wang, who sold the team in 2014 after agreeing to a 25-year lease in Brooklyn, could have sold earlier to prospective buyers who hoped to move the team."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ove-barclays-center-nassau-coliseum/72924262/

“Things could’ve been worse. Charles kept us relatively close,” Weight said. “He’s lived here a long time. He put his stamp on the island, and he wanted the team to stay here for the tradition. Charles was adamant about keeping the New York Islanders name and logo.”

There are plenty of things that infuriated me about Wang, particularly that he meddled way too much in hockey operations. But I think this idea that he didn't at all care about the team's legacy, future or it's fans is simply not fair.

He was looking to sell the team after it was clear that he wouldn't get to develop the area around the coliseum, which is why he bought the team in the first place. He was never in it to run the team or bring success. I trust DP's word over Weight's, because DP isn't on Wang's payroll (well technically he is until 2029 :sarcasm:).

edott

Mar 10, 2016
What a crock, he got zero real estate rights in 2013 with that vote. Nothing.
Only real estate he was part of was with Rechler, who was the money behind the LH project and the billion dollar developer.

What's next Wang bought Northwell from the Ferraro's to demolish it?
How much real estate he get in Bridgeport? Nothing, and he bought the team in 2004.
How much from Ratner's buildings next to Barclay's? Nothing.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
He was looking to sell the team after it was clear that he wouldn't get to develop the area around the coliseum, which is why he bought the team in the first place. He was never in it to run the team or bring success. I trust DP's word over Weight's, because DP isn't on Wang's payroll (well technically he is until 2029 :sarcasm:).

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the point that you are making but if he relocated the team to Brooklyn instead of Quebec because of the amount of money the cable deal was making, then implicit in that decision is that he wanted to continue to own the team so he could actually profit from that cable deal. Why announce that he was looking to sell the team immediately after finalizing the move to Brooklyn? If he doesn't own the team he isn't making any money from the cable deal. I accept that he primarily bought the team because it was a business opportunity that he thought would allow him to profit. I am comfortable with that, I can't imagine an owner buying a professional sports franchise with any other incentive.

Last edited:

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
What a crock, he got zero real estate in 2013. Nothing.
Only real estate he was part of was with Rechler, who was the money behind the LH project and the billion dollar developer.

What's next Wang bought Northwell from the Ferraro's to demolish it?
How much real estate he get in Bridgeport? Nothing.
How much from Ratner's buildings next to Barclay's? Nothing.

So let's look at the timeline:

1) Billion dollar businessman from China with absolutely ZERO prior hockey experience wants to buy a hockey team in an area that painfully needs to be redeveloped. He's so clueless that he suggests putting sumo wrestlers in net, extends the worst GM in history, hands out the worst contract in history etc.

2) He proposes a ridiculous, over the top redevelopment plan to essentially turn Nassau county into a small city. While these plans are under negotiation he ices a talentless cap floor team, and any contract he signs is backloaded. The plan fails.

3) Out of options, he signs onto a deal in Brooklyn, an area that is already under redevelopment by Ratner.

4) Shortly after signing the arena deal he sells the team.

Yep, he definitely didn't buy the team with the purpose of developing the area :shakehead

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Perhaps I am misunderstanding the point that you are making but if he relocated the team to Brooklyn instead of Quebec because of the amount of money the cable deal was making, then implicit in that decision is that he wanted to continue to own the team so he could actually profit from that cable deal. Why announce that he was looking to sell the team immediately after finalizing the move to Brooklyn? If he doesn't own the team he isn't making any money from the cable deal. I accept that he primarily bought the team because it was a business opportunity that he thought would allow him to profit. I am comfortable with that, I can't imagine an owner buying a professional sports franchise with any other incentive.

He never bought the team to make money from the TV deal, it was more of side product. He knew he wanted to sell once the LHP failed, but he's not an idiot and realized that a team with one of the best TV deals is going to be more valuable to a potential buyer than a team with an average or poor TV contract. It wouldn't surprise me if that deal was one of the biggest selling points of the team. Also remember that he's a minority owner, so he's still getting a nice chunk of that cash, he's just out of a management position and more of an investor.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
He never bought the team to make money from the TV deal, it was more of side product. He knew he wanted to sell once the LHP failed, but he's not an idiot and realized that a team with one of the best TV deals is going to be more valuable to a potential buyer than a team with an average or poor TV contract. It wouldn't surprise me if that deal was one of the biggest selling points of the team. Also remember that he's a minority owner, so he's still getting a nice chunk of that cash, he's just out of a management position and more of an investor.

I agree with the bolded. Of course I can only speculate about what an offer from a buyer in Quebec would look like, but 5 of the 7 Canadian teams are valued at amounts higher than what Wang sold the team for. So I wouldn't be surprised at all if those offers were around the same amount. I also take into consideration the multiple reports that he had multiple offers from buyers looking to move the team before he sold and the fact that from all accounts that it was his prerogative to keep the team in NY. From my perspective, although of course money and profit was certainly a motivator (as it would be with any owner) I guess I'm just not as pessimistic as you that he had absolutely no regard for the team, the fans or the legacy.

edott

Mar 10, 2016

1) Billion dollar businessman from China with absolutely ZERO prior hockey experience wants to buy a hockey team in an area that painfully needs to be redeveloped. He's so clueless that he suggests putting sumo wrestlers in net, extends the worst GM in history, hands out the worst contract in history etc.

You mean he spent 130 million on players and from day one was told he has to pay Nassau for a new arena by Gulotta, Suozzi who said Nassau could not pay to renovate it's arena in 2002 and turning down a public bond in 2001 & 2003 before going to Rechler in 2005 while his team made three playoffs in a row?

After the lockout Wang kept spending but the cap was not very high yet, they did their best to land Smyth but could not front-load while Smyth talked Comrie into signing here.

2) He proposes a ridiculous, over the top redevelopment plan to essentially turn Nassau county into a small city. While these plans are under negotiation he ices a talentless cap floor team, and any contract he signs is backloaded. The plan fails.

You mean Wang and billion dollar developer Scott Rechler. The only negotiation was D'Amato demanded an open bid because Armand did not get his job, and then Suozzi put the agreement in a drawer for 2 years so it was DOA when Mangano won. Wang did his first back-loaded deal long after LH was dead.

3) Out of options, he signs onto a deal in Brooklyn, an area that is already under redevelopment by Ratner.

Barclay's was open when Wang did deal with Ratner.
Wang tried in Nassau well into 2012 after that referendum. Any time you want to read the testimony of Picker begging to do a deal and nothing's changed I'll post the testimony. Jay Jacobs still wanted his PSL Coliseum.

Yep, he definitely didn't buy the team with the purpose of developing the area :shakehead

So why is he still here at all, in 2003 he said it's not a church that would be open forever, why was he buying a team in Bridgeport or rights to run arena's he never got any real estate for?

Actually this is what really happened, no doubt you'll never read it.
http://www.newyorkislanderfancentral.com/2012/04/lies-101-charles-wang-bought-isles-for.html

Last edited:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
-Wang removed Luongo? First time I read that one and he had to pay Osgood and Snow more money in 2002.
He green lighted the move. It was the first remarkable;e thing he did after taking over the Isles with Harold, or Kumar, or Patsy.
-Kept Milbury on. Ok, first year he missed playoffs in 2006 he resigned as gm. Wang let him/son work for org.
You say that like it wasn't akin to letting Ted Bundy date your daughter after everyone on the planet earth knows who Ted is. Well, except you of course.
-He involved himself in org matters, how do you know? Peca, Jonsson, Osgood, Aucoin, Yashin & DiPietro always praise the guy and Peca despised Edmonton.
How do you not know? Signing players behind the GM's back, actively participating in drafts, pushing RD for more play time when everyone knew he was done, the affinity for Yashin... pull the other one.
-How dare Wang spend his money on two players he wanted to make Islanders for life, who were NOT front-loaded deals and lost a ton of their contact value. Yashin went to practices recently, Satan and Martinek are always around.
How dare he hire players for too much for too long, robbing us of cash for other positions. He might as well have hired his grandmother to play goal and his favorite janitor to center the first unit. That is what he effectively did. He cut off his nose to spite his own face instead of pulling on real hockey personnel for advice. All it proved was that money is no proof vs. stupidity.
-No evidence he ever had any say in player decisions with Bailey or Niederreiter. Both years with Nino management they did exactly what they said they were going to do. Joensuu came back and took his spot during the lockout.
LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!! Both Bailey and Nino were rushed so Wang could meet the salary floor requirement. If he had not done that Wang would have been fined even more money, picks, etc.
-Tied the clubs hands when it came to fighting? I guess they missed the memo vs Pittsburgh.
He eventually loosened them. It was brought up outside of the organization though, and outlined as the years prior to that. Crdit Snow for talking sense into Wang, but also notice who got moved off our club quickly after that too.
-There was no cap floor for six years, when cap started going north of 50 million it was beyond Coliseum's 1980 revenue streams with Smg getting all money. He did a 2010 interview, opened teams books to Ernst and Young and said they have to watch every penny, but still everyone kept getting resigned at what Snow considered their fair value. (even Vanek twice)
And magically every year we were not even just at the cap floor (magic Jerry, magic!) but Wang even managed to hire guys who had bigger cap hits than actual payouts AND flew the Rick's contract against the cap while being compensated by insurance. Wang spent LESS money than even the cap floor allowed for. That was the reason the league built new anti-Wang regulations into the current CBA. Hmmmmmm.....
-Dime store coaching decisions? How many did he pay to stay home for years. Boulton's contract was likely higher to be a mentor.
Not after he brought in Gordon Brokencrotch. Since the rebuild/cheapout we have had exactly two head coaches. They both suck, but they are also cheapies. Funny dat.
-Smg ran the Coliseum as in the Philadelphia Flyers, he just kept renovating out of pocket.
SMG is evil. He has all my sympathy on that account. That and his struggles with the pols. That's about the end of my sympathy.
Meanwhile the fans who went to the Jay Jacobs school of fandom want a max payroll and $20.00 tickets and don't show up until December if the team is winning. These are the same people who demand top free agents on 7/1.

Build a good team and they will come. It is that simple. Tone deaf wangster wasted whatever good could have come from the years prior to Snow by keeping on and then rehiring the single worst GM in the history of the NHL. I realize Wang is a self described hockey ignoramus, but seriously, how out of touch with life do you have to be to not realize Milbury was hated beyond comprehension because he was so bad at his job so you rehire the numbskull? The fans didn't abandon the owner. The owner ignored them from day one. If he hadn't we would have kept Lou and dumped Milbury. It is that simple. Things simply got worse from there. That's on him.

Last edited:

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
You mean he spent 130 million on players and from day one was told he has to pay Nassau for a new arena by Gulotta, Suozzi who said Nassau could not pay to renovate it's arena in 2002 and turning down a public bond in 2001 & 2003 before going to Rechler in 2005 while his team made three playoffs in a row?

After the lockout Wang kept spending but the cap was not very high yet, they did their best to land Smyth but could not front-load while Smyth talked Comrie into signing here. Then came Witt, Sillinger, Poti and another playoff.

You mean Wang and billion dollar developer Scott Rechler. The only negotiation was D'Amato demanded an open bid because Armand did not get his job, and then Suozzi put the agreement in a drawer for 2 years so it was DOA when Mangano won. Wang did his first back-loaded deal long after LH was dead.

Barclay's was open when Wang did deal with Ratner.
Wang tried in Nassau well into 2012 after that referendum. Any time you want to read the testimony of Picker begging to do a deal and nothing's changed I'll post the testimony. Jay Jacobs still wanted his PSL Coliseum.

So why is he still here at all, in 2003 he said it's not a church that would be open forever, why was he buying a team in Bridgeport or rights to run arena's he never got any real estate for?

Actually this is what really happened, no doubt you'll never read it.
http://www.newyorkislanderfancentral.com/2012/04/lies-101-charles-wang-bought-isles-for.html

No, I'm not reading your blog about ridiculous ****ing tin-foil hat conspiracies. I'm not listening to your fire mix-tape either. If it looks like a duck and it quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck. The facts and the timeline are right in front of you, as well as testimony from an inside source who represented the players during all of those years. If you don't want to believe it because it doesn't fit your "evil Dolan is out to get the Isles" narrative then I don't know what to tell you. But enough of this ridiculous conspiracy non-sense, you're acting like that stupid Atlantic Yards watchdog guy with the blog.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Back in March at the trade deadline Ricky D said on his radio show the only reason Charles Wang kept the team in NY was because of the cable deal.

That sound you just heard was all the Wang apologists' heads exploding from the truth bomb you just dropped.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I agree with the bolded. Of course I can only speculate about what an offer from a buyer in Quebec would look like, but 5 of the 7 Canadian teams are valued at amounts higher than what Wang sold the team for. So I wouldn't be surprised at all if those offers were around the same amount. I also take into consideration the multiple reports that he had multiple offers from buyers looking to move the team before he sold and the fact that from all accounts that it was his prerogative to keep the team in NY. From my perspective, although of course money and profit was certainly a motivator (as it would be with any owner) I guess I'm just not as pessimistic as you that he had absolutely no regard for the team, the fans or the legacy.

Saying he absolutely gave zero ****s is probably too harsh. I'm sure he cared about the team and the players, but it was definitely second to redeveloping the area and his finances.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
That sound you just heard was all the Wang apologists' heads exploding from the truth bomb you just dropped.

Rick Dipietro is one of Dolan's puppets. When he's not doing MSG broadcasts he's attempting to sabotage the ice making equipment at Barclays Center.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Hot taek: Dolan sank the titanic
Hot taek: Dolan caused WWI and WWII
Hot taek: Dolan shot Kennedy
Hot taek: Dolan caused 9/11
Hot taek: Dolan rigged the 2000 and 2004 elections

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Rick Dipietro is one of Dolan's puppets. When he's not doing MSG broadcasts he's attempting to sabotage the ice making equipment at Barclays Center.

4497609.jpg

edott

Mar 10, 2016
He green lighted the move. It was the first remarkable;e thing he did after taking over the Isles with Harold, or Kumar, or Patsy.

Luongo was such a happy guy here, and his house hunting escapade likely sealed his fate. Not like Toronto wanted to keep that pick to take him, and he ran out of Florida before imploding in Vancouver before the tax rates looked better in Florida again. So much for the Panthers playoff series win with him in goal.

You say that like it wasn't akin to letting Ted Bundy date your daughter after everyone on the planet earth knows who Ted is. Well, except you of course.

Milbury came here with a top resume in Boston after going to the finals, cleaned up Maloney's mess and never had a fair chance with money or owners. Finally with Wang he got his money and decided to start winning now with excuses removed and by 2002 did.

How do you not know? Signing players behind the GM's back, actively participating in drafts, pushing RD for more play time when everyone knew he was done, the affinity for Yashin... pull the other one.

Milbury advised against Yashin's deal and talked him out of Peca's longer term deal. Wang said he was tired of hearing from fans every year the players would be traded. Wang pushed RDP to play, why when insurance would cover his deal and take him off the hook? He left Bridgeport healthy playing 18 games in 49 days and was bought out, not on IR.

Wang had such affinity for Yashin he bought him out after 50 points in 57 games on one leg with Jason Blake on his wing with Chris Simon because Nolan wanted him gone?

How dare he hire players for too much for too long, robbing us of cash for other positions. He might as well have hired his grandmother to play goal and his favorite janitor to center the first unit. That is what he effectively did. He cut off his nose to spite his own face instead of pulling on real hockey personnel for advice. All it proved was that money is no proof vs. stupidity.

He tried to keep Smyth, who sold Comrie on coming, he signed Guerin, Weight. Sillinger, Hunter, Witt got hurt, everyone got hurt.

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!! Both Bailey and Nino were rushed so Wang could meet the salary floor requirement. If he had not done that Wang would have been fined even more money, picks, etc.

Say who, Baghdad Botta, prospect expert? No one sent their NHL players to WJC, he went bonkers Bailey did not go.

He eventually loosened them. It was brought up outside of the organization though, and outlined as the years prior to that. Crdit Snow for talking sense into Wang, but also notice who got moved off our club quickly after that too.

Who brought it up Larry Brooks :laugh: Who got moved, Simon, Trevor Gillies? LOL Witt got resigned early.

Why don't you answer the big boys question. If Wang was as bad as you claim how come everyone resigned here, how come the players who left do nothing but praise the man, they worked there, not us and their actions and comments completely contradict your claims. Why would anyone want to resign here much less do so again and again with enthusiasm when there are 29 other teams to be hired by? Dave Scatchard was on WFAN a short time ago and did nothing but praise his time here. Jason Blake went to center ice and begged to stay here. Nabokov had every financial reason to hate Wang for life he resigned after a year at 500k and was thrilled.

And magically every year we were not even just at the cap floor (magic Jerry, magic!) but Wang even managed to hire guys who had bigger cap hits than actual payouts AND flew the Rick's contract against the cap while being compensated by insurance. Wang spent LESS money than even the cap floor allowed for. That was the reason the league built new anti-Wang regulations into the current CBA. Hmmmmmm.....

You mean the CBA that did not give him revenue sharing until the summer of 2013 for the first time ever while teams in modern taxpayer buildings were getting that plus local money from government without being Smg's slumlord who took parking, concessions, 11 percent of gate & 40 percent of all ad revenue while Wang renovated lockerooms and his matrix boards for two million were first hung in any local arena?

Not after he brought in Gordon Brokencrotch. Since the rebuild/cheapout we have had exactly two head coaches. They both suck, but they are also cheapies. Funny dat.

After he paid Laviolette, Stirling, Nolan and Gordon to stay home, the AHL coach of the year?

Build a good team and they will come. It is that simple.
You had a good team in 2014-15, top defenders were signed the team was winning and still 11,000 into December in final Coliseum season. After 2002 playoffs Wang raised praises, fans said nope.

Tone deaf wangster wasted whatever good could have come from the years prior to Snow by keeping on and then rehiring the single worst GM in the history of the NHL. I realize Wang is a self described hockey ignoramus, but seriously, how out of touch with life do you have to be to not realize Milbury was hated beyond comprehension because he was so bad at his job so you rehire the numbskull? The fans didn't abandon the owner. The owner ignored them from day one. If he hadn't we would have kept Lou and dumped Milbury. It is that simple. Things simply got worse from there. That's on him.

This team finished last in attendance with Arbour, Torrey here in early 90's. The Coliseum sold out the second half in 2002 with Mike Milbury as gm and I bet you were there cheering on his teams.

Last edited:

BKIsles

Jan 22, 2013

4) Shortly after signing the arena deal he sells the team.

So your main argument is that Wang was a bad owner because he wanted the Islanders to be a centerpiece of a new development in Nassau County, which would have been a massive win for the franchise. Yeah, you're right, he sucked, you convinced me...

The idea that the cable deal somehow locked us to New York only makes sense because it gave Wang and the Islanders enough revenue to make the financial situation not completely untenable. Any other owner who had no ties to the area would have said we don't have a building, screw the cable deal, let me negotiate with the new arenas in Quebec/Kansas City/Vegas and create something called a revenue stream.

At the end of the day, the NHL is a business. Wang's ownership turned the league laughingstock into a playoff team four of the first five years he was here. We then went into a lengthy rebuild and have now made the playoffs three of the last four seasons. Not great by any means, but understandable when you look at how bad our financial numbers have been, mainly due to our pathetic dump of a former arena.

We've had a significant negative operating income every single year Wang was the owner, playoff, and non-playoff seasons. We had a -$14 million operating income last year, second worst in the NHL, only better than the Florida Panthers. Our arch-rival had an $83 million operating income last year. We had the second lowest overall amount of revenue last year at $93 million, only better than the Coyotes at $92 million.

Notice who we're competing with? Teams who always come up in relocation conversations.

Does anybody legitimately think that income gap between the Rangers is because Milbury stuck around too long, or because the DP contract was stupid?

Listen, don't get me wrong, I'm not pleased with the reality that before Sunday night, I was in Kindergarten the last time the Isles won a playoff series. But at least the ISLANDERS won that series on Sunday, and I have to give at least some credit to Wang for insisting that the team keep it's identity.

edott

Mar 10, 2016
No, I'm not reading your blog about ridiculous ****ing tin-foil hat conspiracies. I'm not listening to your fire mix-tape either. If it looks like a duck and it quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck. The facts and the timeline are right in front of you, as well as testimony from an inside source who represented the players during all of those years. If you don't want to believe it because it doesn't fit your "evil Dolan is out to get the Isles" narrative then I don't know what to tell you. But enough of this ridiculous conspiracy non-sense, you're acting like that stupid Atlantic Yards watchdog guy with the blog.

That's funny from someone writing about Dolan constantly in threads I don't even post in but this thread is about Wang's tenure and we don't need super secret sources or gossip, only facts.

I don't think reading is something you have much interest in when it does not fit your narrative or quack the way you like. All I did was link to the exact time line of the professional media reporting to get a new arena from the day Wang bought the team.

edott

Mar 10, 2016
The idea that the cable deal somehow locked us to New York only makes sense because it gave Wang and the Islanders enough revenue to make the financial situation not completely untenable. Any other owner who had no ties to the area would have said we don't have a building, screw the cable deal, let me negotiate with the new arenas in Quebec/Kansas City/Vegas and create something called a revenue stream.

Let's make sure we include everyone here because the Devils are getting a similar check until 2024 after every other team in NYC started their own TV network and got taken off television by Cablevision. Even Buffalo is getting their check for television rights.

We've had a significant negative operating income every single year Wang was the owner, playoff, and non-playoff seasons. We had a -$14 million operating income last year, second worst in the NHL, only better than the Florida Panthers. Our arch-rival had an $83 million operating income last year. We had the second lowest overall amount of revenue last year at $93 million, only better than the Coyotes at $92 million.

Never go by Forbes, most NHL teams, including our friends used to lose 25 million plus a year before they locked down the media. Chicago won the cup and Wirtz could not stop talking about how deep in the red ink the Hawks were twice.
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/arti...306159983/why-the-blackhawks-are-losing-money

Does anybody legitimately think that income gap between the Rangers is because Milbury stuck around too long, or because the DP contract was stupid?
Compared to what? Holik, Gomez, Drury or the roster full of bad contracts. :laugh:

In those days they spent over 80 million on payroll and made 85 million in revenue, they lost 30 million a year because of operating expenses in NY market with taxpayers funding teams. Wang had similar operating expense and insurance here.
http://nypost.com/2004/09/17/cablevision-cuts-its-losses/
http://nypost.com/2004/09/17/ice-age-cometh-nhl-lockout-imperils-weaker-hockey-teams/
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/07/sports/80-layoffs-at-madison-square-garden.html?_r=0

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Yeah, what the hell does he know? He was only the Islanders player rep for the NHLPA. It's not like he ever saw the owners books.
He was hanging around with Wang, who thought DP was a rock star after buying MM's view on revolutionizing the goalie position.
I buy it.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Back in March at the trade deadline Ricky D said on his radio show the only reason Charles Wang kept the team in NY was because of the cable deal.
It's a lucrative asset to the franchise. If he moved the team, then that franchise would have to cover that in its purchase and sale agreement - notice no one ever did because it's almost punitive to the purchaser since it no longer has any impact on the value of the franchise.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

“Things could’ve been worse. Charles kept us relatively close,†Weight said. “He’s lived here a long time. He put his stamp on the island, and he wanted the team to stay here for the tradition. Charles was adamant about keeping the New York Islanders name and logo.â€

This and this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad