Changing of Styles Since the Cup Run

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
We had a bad start last year too, but had enough race track (games remaining) to turn it around and win the PT. We're just having another bad start.

I can't believe you actually convinced yourself of this.

doobie604

Jan 19, 2007
Said it from the day we let hoff go, trading skill or size is wrong strategy. We'll never be bigger and tougher than those teams so why try to fight fire with fire when we almost had enough water to get the job done. We're no longer a team that can roll all lines and just ware teams down, we're now like all other mediocre teams with no identity.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I find it somewhat presumptuous and even a little arrogant to suggest that the Canucks could achieve similar success simply by maintaining their personnel and style. Teams adapt and the league changes. The playoffs showed how to stymie the Canucks offense and that was box them out and let them shoot from the perimeter all night long. There's a reason that uber-skilled 2011 team was the lowest scoring team to make the SCF in NHL history and that's because they couldn't score in a tight playoff scenario.

There's also a bit of revisionist history about the quality of the lineup. Talking like that team was 4 lines of skill when in reality it regularly featured Malhotra, Torres, Tambellini, Glass, Oreskovich, and Bolduc up front is a little dishonest.

Regardless of style, that team was successful primarily because it was strong down the middle, had a deadly PP, it got fantastic goaltending, and they had a defensive pair in Bieksa and Hamhuis who could shut down top lines. The Canucks haven't been strong at C or on the PP since Kesler was injured last January, their goaltending has struggled for most of this year, and Hamhuis and Bieksa have been mostly brutal. Hence their current predicament.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Said it from the day we let hoff go, trading skill or size is wrong strategy. We'll never be bigger and tougher than those teams so why try to fight fire with fire when we almost had enough water to get the job done. We're no longer a team that can roll all lines and just ware teams down, we're now like all other mediocre teams with no identity.

Mediocre skill.

Mediocre size.

Mediocre toughness.

Mediocre to poor special teams.

Damn right.

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
Yup. People loved how we let Erhoff go. I told you.

The offense ran through him and he fit our system perfectly. So what if he got a huge front loaded contract if his cap hit is only 4M. Aquilini needs to shell it out if he wants the best team possible. Seeing Bieksa at 4.6 compared to Erhoff makes me sick. Gillis goof'd up.

We traded away any skill we had drafted in Grabner and Hodgson for defense and "toughness". At least we're big tough guys like our heroes da Bostin Bruins. And people wonder why we can't score now.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Just watch the first minute.

Look at the puck movement.

The smoothness, the crashing of the net, the finish.

Where is that?

Just watched the first 6 minutes. The bad goaltending, low percentage shots, the friendly rebounds and deflections. Basically every kind of bounce the current team isn't getting. :cry:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Yup. People loved how we let Erhoff go. I told you.

The offense ran through him and he fit our system perfectly. So what if he got a huge front loaded contract if his cap hit is only 4M. Aquilini needs to shell it out if he wants the best team possible. Seeing Bieksa at 4.6 compared to Erhoff makes me sick. Gillis goof'd up.

We traded away any skill we had drafted in Grabner and Hodgson for defense and "toughness". At least we're big tough guys like our heroes da Bostin Bruins. And people wonder why we can't score now.

Not sure why people bring up Grabner, he really contributed next to nothing while he was here. His being traded has nothing to do with anything when looking back at past teams.

Luongos Knob

PDO Kings
Jan 20, 2009
The playoffs showed how to stymie the Canucks offense and that was box them out and let them shoot from the perimeter all night long.

Yeah, I'm sure it had nothing to do with Henrik, Kesler, Raymond, Samuelsson, Malhotra, Higgins, Edler, Ehrhoff, Hamhuis, Bieksa being injured at one point or another, and Rome being suspended. Nah

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
Not sure why people bring up Grabner, he really contributed next to nothing while he was here. His being traded has nothing to do with anything when looking back at past teams.

No, it's more of a case of "what could've been". I fell like they gave up him to quickly. He is one of the fastest players in the league. Given how much of a dud Ballard has been it sucks.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC

No, it's more of a case of "what could've been". I fell like they gave up him to quickly. He is one of the fastest players in the league. Given how much of a dud Ballard has been it sucks.

Bingo.

Would you like to spin or buy a vowel?

Shorthander

Apr 2, 2011

Hindsight. When that trade was made Ballard was a top 4 d-man whose only blemish was decapitating his own goalie (which Canucks fans wouldn't even mind cause the Luongo hate was flowing hard after another Chicago playoff exit). Grabner was looking like he wasn't going to stick in the NHL. Personally, at the time I was more upset to lose the 1st round pick.

LolClarkson*

It was a complete mess and a overreaction to the boston series.

We had a high flying puck moving offensive team, Now we are scared, and play this fake bruins style.

Bad trades (hodgson/grabner), bad non signings (ehrhoff).

It's just a complete and utter mess

I second this post.

Mike Gillis lost his mind. Demitra(rip) Samuelsson, Sundin, Erhoff, Sturm:naughty: were good skill players.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Yeah, I'm sure it had nothing to do with Henrik, Kesler, Raymond, Samuelsson, Malhotra, Higgins, Edler, Ehrhoff, Hamhuis, Bieksa being injured at one point or another, and Rome being suspended. Nah

How many of those guys were injured in the first 2 rounds where the scoring was terrible?

And you're seriously saying Rome being suspended is a good reason why they couldn't score? :laugh:

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Makes me sick thinking of the lineup we could very easily have if not for shoddy management.

doobie604

Jan 19, 2007
Why does Grabner's name keep popping off? He was traded before our cup run

Because we could be a team like the black hawks right now who beats teams with speed and skill with all 4 lines, but instead we're just a team with indevidul skills but doesn't gel.

Jefe88

Jun 20, 2012
Port Coquitlam
Grabner is referred as having "stone hands" by Islander fans. He had one good season playing with Tavares, and he really had nowhere to go here at the time.

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
Because we could be a team like the black hawks right now who beats teams with speed and skill with all 4 lines, but instead we're just a team with indevidul skills but doesn't gel.
But this is about changing the style after the cup run. As far as I'm concerned, we had lots of question marks in our blueline and that's why we traded for Ballard.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I call BS. We should be able to at least come close to 2010 with the group we have.

Yes, we have gotten bigger, but if you look at our drafts and our acquisitions in general (including Kassian) we've clearly tried to get guys who are big AND can skate. We didn't suddenly become some lumbering team where every guy is Brian Boyle or Hal Gill.

Here's a novel concept - instead of clinging to a system that has been long figured out that also happened to complement Ehrhoff well...why not try tailoring your system to the players you DO have?

Of course, let's ignore the fact our D is virtually untouched since 2010, and they had a decent (if not totally up to potential IMO) last year without Ehrhoff.

Even if you do maintain the system, why not try Ballard in the same role as Ehrhoff as a PMD? He can rush it, and his first pass is good. Except we've never tried that, ever.

The personnel argument just holds no water for me because we have NEVER tried putting our guys in the best position to succeed.

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
It's funny how people keep bringing up Grabner but the guy has only had 1 real good year on the Isles.

The guy is fast but he also blows the zone early for those breakaways, half the time losing the puck in the neutral zone and other teams just capitalizing on it when they go the other way. The guy has been carried by Nielsen for his whole stint in NYI.

Dado

Grabner is referred as having "stone hands" by Islander fans. He had one good season playing with Tavares, and he really had nowhere to go here at the time.

He has more goals this season than any Canuck.

Luongos Knob

PDO Kings
Jan 20, 2009
How many of those guys were injured in the first 2 rounds where the scoring was terrible?

And you're seriously saying Rome being suspended is a good reason why they couldn't score? :laugh:

Henrik, Samuelsson, Malhotra, Higgins, Ehrhoff. Who do you think is better offensively, Alberts or Rome?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad