Changing from right shot to left shot?

BadHammy*

Yep! Dominant hand on the top! And yes, switch out the blade to go lefty.

Head coach

I almost always agree with you and kind of do here. The true answer is whatever feels more comfortable stick handling is right for you. I've been a mixed right hander and always shot LH, passing is always something I've been strong at. My stick handling is just okay, ditto for my shooting, but I score more goals than assists.

MJAYK

Jan 19, 2010
Dances with the wolves
I almost always agree with you and kind of do here. The true answer is whatever feels more comfortable stick handling is right for you. I've been a mixed right hander and always shot LH, passing is always something I've been strong at. My stick handling is just okay, ditto for my shooting, but I score more goals than assists.

This. Which ever feels the most comfortable. Like some have said, having your dominant hand on bottom might allow you to load the stick more, giving you a harder shot. I really envy those who have their dominant hand on bottom and are able to feel comfortable stickhandling. I believe this doesn't matter that much, when you have the right technique. Afterall, a hand is a hand. If im able to load the stick with my left hand, im pretty sure it wont load any more if i load it with my right hand.

People should just go with what feels comfortable and not listen anyone else. Theres alot of other things in hockey too, that you cannot copy. You have to develop your own technique and style.

Im personally right handed and i have shot lefty from a toddler.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
The one thing I noticed with the bottom hand is the amount of influence it has on the backswing and follow through. It's not so much the dominant hand is so important down there, as much as it was me realizing it's not just "dead weight". That's when I realized people with the dominant hand on bottom might have a big advantage in shooting (mostly slap shots).

BadHammy*

The one thing I noticed with the bottom hand is the amount of influence it has on the backswing and follow through. It's not so much the dominant hand is so important down there, as much as it was me realizing it's not just "dead weight". That's when I realized people with the dominant hand on bottom might have a big advantage in shooting (mostly slap shots).

Funnily enough, I have noticed the opposite, sort of. People with dominant hand on the bottom might shoot better on wrist and snap shots, since those benefit more from wrist snap, while the slap shot has to do with total body strength.

Headcoach

Mar 29, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
www.passthepuck.net
Funnily enough, I have noticed the opposite, sort of. People with dominant hand on the bottom might shoot better on wrist and snap shots, since those benefit more from wrist snap, while the slap shot has to do with total body strength.

Well, look at the fact. 89% of all Canadiens, shoot left. They were taught to place the dominant hand on top. Where as in the USA, 72% shoot right.

Last week I jumped on the ice to help a class and I saw 90% of the new adult players on the ice with right handed sticks. So I asked them why they felt that the right hand stick was for them? They all said that the young pro-shop guy shoots right and he said that was the way to go.

Why is it that more Canadiens shoot left? If you take a poll on how many people actually write with their right hand compaired to their left hand, you will see that that there is a 80 to 20 ratio.

So does this mean that Canadiens are doing it wrong for all of these years? Or, could it be that they actually know something that we don't teach our kids or adults?

The...I went into the pro-shop deal doesn't work for me. Could it be that the majority of the right handed players here in the USA did the same thing? Go into a proshop and ask the 16 years old worker what feels good?

Again, I take it back to the Canadiens. Do you think they go into the proshop and ask what stick feels good?

When I asked the adults in this beginner class, what the pro-shop kid said, they tell me that the 16 year old ask which way which way do they bat a ball. So, they bought a right handed stick on that recommendation.

I wonder how many other parents buy stick for their kids because they think that if their child hold the bat like that, then he needs a right stick? Again, I take it back to the Canadiens. They must be doing it wrong. Maybe we should send a truck load of 16 years old up there to set them straight. Hum...89% shoot left. It just boggels the mind.

Head coach

Axxion89

Aug 3, 2009
I've been stick handling for a while (Procrastinating from studying for finals) and found that I actually stick handle better lefty with my righty stick. I;m going to buy a lefty blade for my 2 piece since my LHS has lefty blades on clearance for 10 bucks and try it on the ice. The arguments definitely make a lot of sense since currently, my stick handling is avg, my slap shot sucks, and my only good shot is my wrister which is accurate (kinda) but slow.

BadHammy*

I do agree with coach that MOST right handed people should shoot left handed. Let's say 60-70%. The strong hand on top is a good idea, simply as that. But something I've noticed is I have 2 friends I've noticed who are "right handed" people, who write right handed and shoot RH, but I'm pretty sure are natural lefties. I think there are a lot of people like this, who could probably shoot either way with no clear detriment or benefit.

MJAYK

Jan 19, 2010
Dances with the wolves
Ovechkin writes with his right hand and plays right-handed. Maybe he should switch. :rolleyes:

Ovechkin actually throws a ball with his left hand. Most left handed people have learned to write with their right hand because it is more convenient. So if you want to be like Ovechkin, put your dominant hand on top, like most Canadian and Finnish people do for example.

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
Anyone ever done so?

So I'm tempted to try - played for about 2 years. Only reason I thought I might is because it seems heaps of people who are right-handed play with a left shot and it works well for them becos of the power hand etc.

Do you think its wise to now? I'm an adult learner, average player. It doesn't feel terribly strange puckhandling, but shooting it does, more so with adjusting body weight, and winding up.

Anyone an ambidextrous shot? Lol.

Gordie Howe use to change hands to shoot but that was when stick blades where straight.

I started playing right handed for the first 6 months (that was 2 years ago) and now I shoot left. I'm glad I made the switch. I still don't have a consistent shot but my shot has improved since making the change. I decided to try left after reading a bunch of book about playing net, go figure eh.

I am ambidextrous and have always been a switch hitter playing baseball as well I'm a right handed first basemen.

When I first changed to a left handed stick I would change hands to pass the puck. As I got more comfortable with the stick on the left I have since stopped switching hands (except to prank around)
I was being called Gordie for a week or 2 by a few of my shinny friends when I made the change so be prepared for a bit of ribbing.

Last edited:

qwertyaas

LGR@
Feb 19, 2008
New York
After realizing how hard it is to find RH ABS blades lately, I really should have started playing lefty.

Then again, growing up playing baseball first, I was used to having my left hand at the end of the bat. It felt very unnatural having my right hand on top and still does. I can barely do anything with the stick when I try to switch.

BadHammy*

After realizing how hard it is to find RH ABS blades lately, I really should have started playing lefty.

Then again, growing up playing baseball first, I was used to having my left hand at the end of the bat. It felt very unnatural having my right hand on top and still does. I can barely do anything with the stick when I try to switch.

I played baseball several seasons as a kid too, but guess what? The motion of shooting LH in hockey and batting RH in baseball is the same. When batting from the right side, your left hand is the power finish and the right hand controls the angle, the same thing is true when shooting left handed on wrist and snap shots. I'm amazed nobody ever pointed this out to me, it seems 100% analogous.

qwertyaas

LGR@
Feb 19, 2008
New York
I played baseball several seasons as a kid too, but guess what? The motion of shooting LH in hockey and batting RH in baseball is the same. When batting from the right side, your left hand is the power finish and the right hand controls the angle, the same thing is true when shooting left handed on wrist and snap shots. I'm amazed nobody ever pointed this out to me, it seems 100% analogous.

It makes sense but the feel is off. Every type of sport I play with a 'stick' I hold the same. Baseball, Tennis, Lacrosse, Golf, Hockey. It's tough to switch one. If my left hand isn't at the end, it feels very weird. I even shovel or broom with my right hand on the bottom! :laugh:

But I do want to buy a LH blade to try to practice with and see if I can 'overcome' the 'block' of not being able to adjust to lefty.

I do know what you mean by if you just flip your wrists (from holding a bat righty), you will be gripping a left handed hockey stick.

BadHammy*

It makes sense but the feel is off. Every type of sport I play with a 'stick' I hold the same. Baseball, Tennis, Lacrosse, Golf, Hockey. It's tough to switch one. If my left hand isn't at the end, it feels very weird. I even shovel or broom with my right hand on the bottom! :laugh:

But I do want to buy a LH blade to try to practice with and see if I can 'overcome' the 'block' of not being able to adjust to lefty.

I do know what you mean by if you just flip your wrists (from holding a bat righty), you will be gripping a left handed hockey stick.

Then maybe you're really a true lefty:D Handedness can be rather confusing, you might even be ambidextrous.

Briere Up There*

Over the past few months I've become increasingly frustrated at the lack of strength my top hand has in pokechecking. When I played in youth hockey I could hit and maybe this is why I didn't notice my lack of one handed acumen.

I think I've begun to rectify this problem however. I have started to work out my wrists when I go to the gym. But more importantly when I have a few spare minutes or when I'm watching hockey on the TV I grab my stick and golfball and just stick handle with one hand. I've seen results.

qwertyaas

LGR@
Feb 19, 2008
New York
Then maybe you're really a true lefty:D Handedness can be rather confusing, you might even be ambidextrous.

Oops, I meant I shovel with right on top, broom with right on bottom :laugh:

I should try to cross-over though since I play roller and RH ABS blades are almost never in stock..!

Axxion89

Aug 3, 2009
Ok I have tried playing lefty today on ice and (drumroll)..........it SUCKED!!!

I practiced in my basement with my new lefty stick (put a lefty blade in) and shooting standing still seemed ok. I went to play on ice and I felt like a penguin in the Sahara. Couldn't shoot, stickhandle, or do anything once I was moving. I am promptly switching back to righty which is how I played since playing street hockey many years ago (13 lol)

HOWEVER, in defense of playing lefty, i did have more control when playing the puck with one hand and my stickhandling was better at slow speeds. So if I had to go back in time to learn or teach my kid, I would tell them to definitely put their dominant hand on top. But if you are like me and played righty or lefty for a majority of time, stay with it. I am going to work our my left hand, forearm, and arm more to gain the advantage in stickhandling and control I had when playing lefty.

Semin

Jun 13, 2009
I'm a left hander, catch a baseball with my right hand. Throw a football with my left, my hockey stick is a righty.

I cannot wright with my right. I throw like a 4 year old girl with my right hand. And I won't even get into stickhandling with a lefty stick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad