Changes to HFNHL - relating to new CBA

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
PIT would have been bankrupt with MIN salary cap rules. Unlike the real NHL, we dont have the facilities to inject cash into the business in order to remain a functional business.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
PIT would have been bankrupt with MIN salary cap rules. Unlike the real NHL, we dont have the facilities to inject cash into the business in order to remain a functional business.

If we don't have the facility like real NHL than why do we have a cap like NHL? The minimum salary will be close to average revenue that we normally collect via attendance. I am sure the league will be able to inject one time cash to facilitate team like yours.

The min and max salary along with removing the $8M salary ceiling will make it very interesting for tier 1 team on who to keep and who to trade and will bring parity among all HFNHL team.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
The only think is that we are going to have to be careful with revenue...the floor could easily go up to 50-60M within a couple of years. If we aren't increasing revenue at the same rate as the NHL we will have a whole lot of bankrupt teams.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
If we don't have the facility like real NHL than why do we have a cap like NHL? The minimum salary will be close to average revenue that we normally collect via attendance. I am sure the league will be able to inject one time cash to facilitate team like yours.

The min and max salary along with removing the $8M salary ceiling will make it very interesting for tier 1 team on who to keep and who to trade and will bring parity among all HFNHL team.

We have a cap because its not real money and something needs to be in place to keep teams from having zero accountability in contracts.

As much as I agree Id love to follow the NHL as closely as possibly, there are some dynamics we simply cant simulate.

The salary floor is one of them. If an NHL team is having cash issues, the owner goes to the bank or his personal fortune and injects money. This simply cant be done in our league and if one of us goes near bankruptcy the league puts some serious oversight on our operations and we can be fired.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
We have a cap because its not real money and something needs to be in place to keep teams from having zero accountability in contracts.

As much as I agree Id love to follow the NHL as closely as possibly, there are some dynamics we simply cant simulate.

The salary floor is one of them. If an NHL team is having cash issues, the owner goes to the bank or his personal fortune and injects money. This simply cant be done in our league and if one of us goes near bankruptcy the league puts some serious oversight on our operations and we can be fired.

As of now, you are very close to the floor and if you think you can handle $40M salary than I don't see an issue here. Rich, the league can always pump money in order to compensate the increase in mimimum cap.

I am sure you have noticed that there are few teams that are always at the top because they are able to retain top end talent given the max of $8M and NHL cap. If we are using the NHL Cap than we should use the actual salary and should eliminate $8M and bring in minimum cap.

The issue I have is that we force the team to match the NHL salary for low/mid level players (players making $8M or less) but we cap at $8M for high end talent (players like Crosby, Malkin etc). This creates an unfair advantage to toptier team while low end team are struggling to make a decent roster and can't get any players without paying more than market value.

By using the actual salary and cap, we will slowly eliminate this and will be more competitive all around the league.

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
As of now, you are very close to the floor and if you think you can handle $40M salary than I don't see an issue here. Rich, the league can always pump money in order to compensate the increase in mimimum cap.

I am sure you have noticed that there are few teams that are always at the top because they are able to retain top end talent given the max of $8M and NHL cap. If we are using the NHL Cap than we should use the actual salary and should eliminate $8M and bring in minimum cap.

The issue I have is that we force the team to match the NHL salary for low/mid level players (players making $8M or less) but we cap at $8M for high end talent (players like Crosby, Malkin etc). This creates an unfair advantage to toptier team while low end team are struggling to make a decent roster and can't get any players without paying more than market value.

By using the actual salary and cap, we will slowly eliminate this and will be more competitive all around the league.

Crosby makes 700k more than he does at 8mill cap infact only 1 player I can name makes over 9mill and that's Vinny though that's probably gone down now. Pittsburgh NHL has Fluery,Malkin,Crosby,Letang,Neal had Staal. WSH had Ovi semin backstrom green the argument of teams having to many top tier guys is moot cuz NHL teams are the same.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
Are you saying we change our salary system so that our players have the same contract as their NHL alter ego's?

I understand its alot of work for the agents, I am sure this will make their life much easier.

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
My problem with contracts and money is there no way to lower a guys value example Jokinen I had 2 choices let him hit FA try to sign him cheaper(which wouldn't happen) or sign him max money for a year the logic for this oh he makes 8mill why should he make less (actual quote from and agent one time I tried to sign a guy forget who now) that to this day was the stupidest thing I've ever heard the guy had a lower NHL contract and wasn't worth it but because we don't have the luxury of seeing them in person we just talk to a brick wall and can't sell a player to the market there last contract dictates the one he signs after

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
My problem with contracts and money is there no way to lower a guys value example Jokinen I had 2 choices let him hit FA try to sign him cheaper(which wouldn't happen) or sign him max money for a year the logic for this oh he makes 8mill why should he make less (actual quote from and agent one time I tried to sign a guy forget who now) that to this day was the stupidest thing I've ever heard the guy had a lower NHL contract and wasn't worth it but because we don't have the luxury of seeing them in person we just talk to a brick wall and can't sell a player to the market there last contract dictates the one he signs after

The rules are set by Admin team and not the player agent. As far as Crosby goes, his salary is around $8M but with the shorter contract length and higher salary cap, we will see increase in salary for many over $8M. My point is very simple, why do I have to pay NHL cap for 4th line player and players at upper tier are capped at $8M? If we are using NHL cap than why not change the salary structure to NHL. The other alternative is to reduce the cap to $40M and leave the max salary at $8M as was the case in 2005/2006 season.

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto

You are not alone with this. I had to pay $5.75M for Nobokov when he makes a lot less in NHL. As an agent, I would ask the max for Jokinan because he was signed for max as a UFA and had better season last year.

Brent Burns Beard