Change Assistant Coaches?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
What do you guys think of the possibility and desirability of keeping the coach and changing the assistants? It has happened before with some success. Torts probably won't let Sullivan be fired, but any chance Craig Ramsay replacing Gulutzan and would it lead to success?

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
A lot of unknowns still to be answered before we get to this point. MG sounded disgruntled, is he being handcuffed by ownership? Is he going to keep Torts, even though they have gotten away from playing an uptempo game? Will a simple shuffling of assistant coaches be enough to satisfy the fan base?

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
Guluztan as the fall guy :laugh:

Not sure how anyone could really put the failures of this season on an assistant coach that has been here for around 9 months.

The issues with this team run so much deeper than the assistant coaches.

salo franchise

Mar 15, 2014
Guluztan as the fall guy :laugh:

Not sure how anyone could really put the failures of this season on an assistant coach that has been here for around 9 months.

The issues with this team run so much deeper than the assistant coaches.

What does Gulutzman do? He's a bit of a ghost.

To OP's question: I think we'd be best off firing all three of them and forget this year ever happened.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
What does Gulutzman do? He's a bit of a ghost.

To OP's question: I think we'd be best off firing all three of them and forget this year ever happened.

Evidently he has run practices before which is not surprise since Torts isn't doing it.

I think you keep him, he's a young guy with supposedly progressive ideas. Ruff isn't doing terribly better with an improved team compared to how Gulutzan did in 2012 (points percentage .543 for Gully vs .559 currently for Ruff)

If you want to shake things up, you don't leave the head coach with his security blanket, especially when that security blanket makes the defence look like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off on a regular basis (like Bowness and AV).

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Maybe I just haven't been paying attention but I don't think we can tell enough about the coaching dynamics to say this guy or that guy is the problem.

(For instance Gulutzan is the special teams guy but apparently Sullivan is responsible for the defence and this affects who is available for the power play etc.

I will say this, Sullivan looked bad stepping in for Torts during his suspension but the way this team was going I don't know if Scotty Bowman himself could have turned things around.)

But if you just want heads to roll without cleaning house, I'd say fire Sullivan and make Torts deal with someone else next year.

Hell, if they're as inseparable as people say, fire Sullivan and maybe Torts quits and saves you having to pay him the next four years. :naughty:

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
I'd fire Gulutzman just for making me watch that horrendous powerplay all year, you know what's a good idea when something isn't working? Keep trying it #gulutzlogic

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I'd fire Gulutzman just for making me watch that horrendous powerplay all year, you know what's a good idea when something isn't working? Keep trying it #gulutzlogic
I felt his problem was he mixed it up too much. It was generating chances early on but not goals so he blew it up and never went back to that.

but IMO Gulutzan and Sullivan have been doing as bad Torts. Powerplay hasn't been good and some of our defensemen are having the worst years of their career.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
To be fair we don't have a true PMD and management keeps trying to force Edler to be an elite #1 and carry the PP when he's more of a complimentary piece not the PPQB they're trying to make him

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I would say we need results on the PP and didn't get them this year. The defensive pairings were also a bit of a mess.

I would say sweep away the whole lot of 'em

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
(For instance Gulutzan is the special teams guy but apparently Sullivan is responsible for the defence and this affects who is available for the power play etc.

Don't get how that works. I'm sure they consult with each other but these are separate roles/situations; don't know why one would affect the other.

And this is to say nothing of the rumour that Sullivan has been running the PP too, which calls into question what Gully is responsible for at all then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad