Chance we trade for a Defenseman before Friday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
What do you guys think? There are still teams with cap hits that need to clear some space before the puck drops. Think well reap the benefits of that? It's still a much needed position on our team, especially considering the annual health of vis..

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Other then somebody who might be a slight upgrade to what we currently have very little

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
Logic should dictate so the answer I think would be yes.

Errr...wait a minute I forgot who we were talking about. Not a chance.

More likely to see Aness here.

Beastrt

Jun 14, 2011
I wouldn't be shocked if we pick someone off the waiver wire. There is a chance some teams will waive a defensemen like we may do with Donavon, that doesn't fit there team and is out of options. We shall see.

replayer

Aug 3, 2005
Expectation is CHI close to trading D Nick Leddy, who has been held out of pre-season games (to protect asset). That would ease cap crunch.

This isn't "take it to the bank" or iron clad but I suspect it's more likely Leddy ends up with an Eastern Conference team than in the West.

Bob McKenzie on Twitter

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Expectation is CHI close to trading D Nick Leddy, who has been held out of pre-season games (to protect asset). That would ease cap crunch.

This isn't "take it to the bank" or iron clad but I suspect it's more likely Leddy ends up with an Eastern Conference team than in the West.

Bob McKenzie on Twitter

Unless Vis is out long term, I doubt the team sees Leddy as enough of an improvement to be worth what he will get in a trade. Isn't a proven top-4, a lot of his value comes from his potential. Isles need proven dman.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
Bostons pretty deep at D and need to shed. Hoping for a move with them. Maybe josh Bailey will fit in with their offensive schemes?? :sarcasm:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Hmm, revisiting a possible swap of assets for Leddy considering the time it may take Poluck to join the club in a meaningful way...

So Chicago needs to move $1.3 million to be compliant and Leddy has a $2.7 million cap hit. Swapping him for Donovan might be possible if Chicago is completely in the dark about Donovan's current game play. We would need to move more than Donovan obviously.

Swapping him for Bailey would not because Bailey has a $3 million cap hit this year.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Hmm, revisiting a possible swap of assets for Leddy considering the time it may take Poluck to join the club in a meaningful way...

So Chicago needs to move $1.3 million to be compliant and Leddy has a $2.7 million cap hit. Swapping him for Donovan might be possible if Chicago is completely in the dark about Donovan's current game play. We would need to move more than Donovan obviously.

Swapping him for Bailey would not because Bailey has a $3 million cap hit this year.

Unless we took on some of Bailey's cap

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Unless we took on some of Bailey's cap

Good point, but how much can they eat? If it is half that means Bailey costs them $1.6 million. Leddy only costs them $1.3 million... That would mean they took on more salary it would work!

Edit: I should have stopped at "good point." :P

Last edited:

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
I think you're right, but it's something to deal with next year. If he upgrades our current group, it's worth a shot.

Doesn't Toews and Kane's new contracts begin next year? Chicago may not be able to deal with that, for sure the Islanders can. As you say if he's an upgrade and the price is right...

BroadwayJay*

Chicago is over by about 1.8m.

Trading Leddy puts them under but only by about 900k, so they need to be bringing up a person paid less than that to fill his spot.

If someone gets injured during the season they would be unable to call up anyone because they'd be over. They need to clear more space so they have maneuvering room. Stan Bowman is smart so he doesn't do dumb things.

One dumb thing is to judge a player on his body of work from a handful of preseason games.

I think that Matt Donovan would almost certainly be sent to Chicago in a trade for Nick Leddy. I also think we'd have to take back Kris Versteeg and I think we'd have to send over Philadelphia's 2nd.

That's my thinking right now, if we're even in the hunt. Hard to imagine the Islanders taking on salaries. Feels weird even typing it.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Chicago is over by about 1.8m.

Trading Leddy puts them under but only by about 900k, so they need to be bringing up a person paid less than that to fill his spot.

If someone gets injured during the season they would be unable to call up anyone because they'd be over. They need to clear more space so they have maneuvering room. Stan Bowman is smart so he doesn't do dumb things.

One dumb thing is to judge a player on his body of work from a handful of preseason games.

I think that Matt Donovan would almost certainly be sent to Chicago in a trade for Nick Leddy. I also think we'd have to take back Kris Versteeg and I think we'd have to send over Philadelphia's 2nd.

That's my thinking right now, if we're even in the hunt. Hard to imagine the Islanders taking on salaries. Feels weird even typing it.

Because last year never happened? He sucked for most of last year as well. This pre-season simply underscores what we saw before. I am surprised he made it through the summer without being traded considering the competition hot on his heels for his spot in the roster. Once Griff is full time and Pokka and Pulock make their next step up he's out.

BroadwayJay*

Because last year never happened? He sucked for most of last year as well.

That's really not true. That is simply the opinion of your eye test and not supported by the objective facts.

The Chicago Blackhawks are one of the teams that truly appreciate possession players and are on the forefront of the fancy stats movement.

I don't care that Matt Donovan got manhandled playing first-pairing minutes against the Bruins twice. The sample size is so small as to be irrelevant.

It is the pre-season. Take a step back and consider that MANY people think Matt Donovan showed a great deal of promise last season. Although you are not one of them, not all evaluation methods coincide with yours.

A perfect example, my evaluation techniques tell me Andrew MacDonald has less value than a replacement player; but the Flyers methods tell them he brings value to their team.

I think he was terrible, they think he was worth a long-term signing. Evaluation methods differ.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Go get Leddy Garth!

Vis won't be able to play forever

Next year....

CDH-Hamonic
Griff-Leddy
Hickey-Pulock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad