Championship expectations

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Seeing how many people are expecting a quick turnaround from the last 2 seasons and the frequent comparisons to the Pens, Hawks and Kings, just curious how soon people expect McEichel to deliver a Cup.

I use McEichel specifically because it seems nobody believes the rest of the team can do it without Eichel or McDavid.

RobertR

Jul 5, 2012
Its seems you need either two, or zero generation players to win the cup, so we are screwed. :sarcasm:

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
It's very hard to win a cup. I think we will compete for a cup in 4 years. Probably make the playoffs in 2 years.

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
Even without McEichel I fully expect this team to compete for cups within 3 years. The young core is very good and by then we'll know if Reinhart's truly an elite 1c. Even without that, Zemgus can fill that role and we could sign / trade for upgrades on the wings (ROR, JVR, etc). If we pick third, can add Marner/Strome/Hanifin to the mix.

That's a serious contender even without McEichel.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
I'll be positive evening though just reaching the conference final is challenging but it will take time

I vote 5 years!

Gotta believe McEickel will be a key piece in pushing us forward and in time we will be a true championship contender.

RiotAct

Panickin' 4 Hanifin
Feb 28, 2007
Old Dominion State
The correct answer is "McEichel Doesn't Guarantee Anything".

However, our "prime window" will be 3-5 years from now, I think. Tens of thousands more Sabres fans will have passed away without ever seeing their favorite team hoist Lord Stanley.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
It would be a damn shame if we wouldn't get one cup out of McEichel, Reinhart, Risto and crew.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
When "mceichel doesn't guarantee anything" is an answer, every other answer is foolish. Bad poll.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I don't think it guarantees anything. Still takes a lot of luck for a cup. What is does is put us in contention making the upcoming seasons more interesting because we have a legitimate shot, but no guarantee.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
:laugh:

This board has me chuckling...I have my high expectations too. I do.

But, talking about "when will this team be a contender". Let's be realistic.

I can't even begin to sort out realistic expectations for NEXT year. It's an incomplete team with alot of the pencilled in core having zero professional experience.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
:laugh:

This board has me chuckling...I have my high expectations too. I do.

But, talking about "when will this team be a contender". Let's be realistic.

I can't even begin to sort out realistic expectations for NEXT year. It's an incomplete team with alot of the pencilled in core having zero professional experience.

i agree. any prediction is pointless at this point.

We've gone through the deconstruction and asset rebuild phase (in amazingly quick fashion). Now we need to develop talent, acquire talent, build a system for that talent, create a culture of winning, identify a future leadership core, etc

there's idealistic timetables we can arbitrarily throw out for all of that... but the reality is that it can take any amount of time... 1 year, 3 years, 5 years, who knows...

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
It's going to be difficult, and I think it really depends on 3 things, and none of the 3 things have to do with McEichel. I assume they pan out to a PPG player. I also assume Reinhart will be just fine as at least a 60 point 2 way center in the top 6.

What we do with Grigs? Is he traded and packaged with other draft picks/talent to gain superior NHL talent like the Kane trade? Or do we take the time with him and he develops into a solid top 6 winger?

What UFA we can bring in on O and on D? Just one each. It's tough when teams lock them up early and for lengthy contracts like P Kane and Toews. Maybe we can pluck someone away from cap casualty like a Patrick Sharp, etc. I'm not sure of their contract status but a guy like Pavelski, Max P in Montreal in a year or two, etc. Sekera for D.

What about in goal? We don't talk about that much around here. But we have no Price, Renne or Lundqvist. I agree with the whole if you have a great D and produce on O you can get a solid starter like a Crawford and be just fine. But still, who will that player be?

By just throwing names together below, the lineup still needs work, and an identity moving forward. It's not going to happen in 3 years. By 5 years we should be contending by solving the above problems mixed with McEichel and Reinhart becoming men. I didn't even bother with the 4th line.

Kane - Eichel - UFA/Grigs
Ennis - Reinhart - UFA/Grigs
Foligno - Girgs - Larsson
*Molson

Pysyk - Zads
Bogo - Risto
McCabe - Weber?/UFA

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I expect a quick turn around into a playoff team. But after that who knows about the Cup. Many things needs to break right for a team to win one.

Clock

May 13, 2006
Doesn't guarantee anything, obviously.

I'm hoping for playoffs in 17-18.

Karate Johnson*

If we aren't a solid playoff team who wouldn't look out of place making a cup run in 3 years, 5 years into Murrays tenure, we will need to consider making a change.

It's shouldn't take longer than 5 years to be a contender for our division. Not with the assets and financial freedom Murray has.

This isn't about guarantees, it's about expectations.

Our expectations need to be high.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
2017-2018 could be a good year for us if everything goes to plan, but I'm looking at 2018-2019 as our year.

Rocket Scientist

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle Area
Expectation - Cup in 5 years, and worth cheering for wins next year.

The first half may be unreasonable, I know, but that's what all this suffering of the last few years has done to me. Until then, it should be all fun and games. We've deserved it.

Karate Johnson*

I won't put a timetable on a cup. Factors beyond anyone's control are in play.

But we should be in the mix for a playoff spot in 16/17 at a minimum, and from there improving steadily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad