PSG
Atalanta
Leipzig
BM
Barcelona
Juventus
City

Hopefully that is better than 50%.

Some very interesting games. Quite possibly my favourite round of 16 ever. Except Atalanta - Valencia there are all intriguing fixtures to me. Dortmund vs. PSG I think could become interesting. Spurs vs. Leipzig should be good games unless Leipzig just completely overruns Spurs. Don´t think that will happen, but Spurs are not very good at dealing with the high press. RM vs. City should be great. Also think AM can cause Liverpool some trouble.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Expecting a cagey evening in Madrid.

There will be more goals in Germany. Paris has to be the favorite, but I don’t know that either team can stop the other one. That’s going to be a mad tie.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
If LFC get knocked out here it would be a monumental upset. Especially given how poor Atleti have been.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If LFC get knocked out here it would be a monumental upset. Especially given how poor Atleti have been.
LFC is the favorite but it’s not inconceivable. Domestic form goes out the window in these games. AM is going to turn this into a mosh pit.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Liverpool's going to destroy them tomorrow. Atletico isn't going to have the ball very much and are going to be under siege. To make matters worse considering our wide players, their fullbacks are also poor at defending. Felix, Herrera, and Trippier are not playing.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Liverpool's going to destroy them tomorrow. Atletico isn't going to have the ball very much and are going to be under siege. To make matters worse considering our wide players, their fullbacks are also poor at defending. Felix, Herrera, and Trippier are not playing.
I’m going to be at Anfield for Leg 2, so that would be very nice. Don’t think it’s going to be that easy though. Still think Atlético was the hardest team that they could have drawn.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
LFC is the favorite but it’s not inconceivable. Domestic form goes out the window in these games. AM is going to turn this into a mosh pit.
The biggest threat to score a goal tomorrow for Atleti is Correa. Take that in for a moment. This isn’t a bad run of form by Atleti they’re genuinely in a down year, that is heightened by some injuries. If Liverpool don’t win tomorrow it’s a colossal failure. Not impossible they crash out but it shouldn’t be considered as just a loss to a good team.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
D2M is Villa and I´m Ardiles. I think AM can cause Liverpool problems because they will clearly park the bus and not even try to play - which historically used to be a problem for Liverpool - and I still think it is the best way to beat them. But I agree that if Liverpool lose they shouldn´t pretend it is against a very good team (even if I happily admit I don´t exactly spend my weekends watching Simeone football on a regular basis).

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Liverpool have been much better against the bus since getting VVD.

Both because he’s so good at managing counter attacks (thus limiting exposure when they push numbers forward), as well as because he provides a legitimate arial threat they didn’t really have before on set pieces.

Parking the bus and hoping is a terrible strategy, especially when the second leg is at Anfield.

Reactions: Gecklund

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Liverpool have been much better against the bus since getting VVD.

Both because he’s so good at managing counter attacks (thus limiting exposure when they push numbers forward), as well as because he provides a legitimate arial threat they didn’t really have before on set pieces.

Parking the bus and hoping is a terrible strategy, especially when the second leg is at Anfield.
Yeah Liverpool have been worse when teams attack them. I think a team like Leipzig would be the worst matchup for Liverpool actually.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Atletico vs. Liverpool
Dortmund vs. PSG
Atalanta vs. Valencia
Spurs vs. Leipzig
Chelsea vs. Bayern Munich
Napoli vs. Barcelona
Lyon vs. Juventus
Real Madrid vs. Man City

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Yea Liverpool are actually guaranteed a top 4 spot now, so this doesn't even depend on City's punishment.

Tottenham caps out at 76 points (level with Liverpool currently, so they could technically finish ahead of Liverpool on GD), but they play against Chelsea (who cap out at 77) so at least one of the teams will drop at least 2 points in that game which means the absolute highest 4th place can get this year is 75 points.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Yeah Liverpool have been worse when teams attack them. I think a team like Leipzig would be the worst matchup for Liverpool actually.

I mean, if it's a wide open matchup, Liverpool will potentially concede a goal or two, but some of that is prior to Gomez getting into the side again, and Fabinho being out. I think Leipzig offers the quality to score a goal or two, but over two legs, Liverpool are the better side, and without some really good fortune would be clear favorites by a large amount. I think the only real side that you could honestly say could have the potential to turn a two legged tie against Liverpool would be PSG who have the sheer attackers who could put a 3-4 goal showing in, and that might be enough with some luck to keep them out. I think City have the ability to do that, were they to get some fortune, and maybe Barca if Messi is Messi, but PSG is the only real team I would be afraid of, just because they have the ability to score in bunches if given the chances. But I think Liverpool should deservedly be the clear favorite in any tie.

Personally, I don't think today will be a smashing. It could be, but even with the league form, there's a lot of pride and desire over there to show out against Liverpool. I think no matter who Liverpool play, there's a desire to see the best out of teams that play them. That limits the chances of a smashing. I also think Klopp and Simeone will be looking to strangle the life out the matchup with physicality. Liverpool with just how their midfield play, and Atletico who get everyone behind the ball. Klopp would be happy with just an away goal, knowing he has Anfield to rely on, and honestly the superior team. But not conceding a random goal and giving Atletico life is also important. I think as soon as the team sheet is out, you'll know what Klopp wants to do. If it's Fabinho, Henderson and Gini, I think he's trying to hold it down, play it slow, and then hopefully nick a goal or two either in a set piece or late when he throws on Keita or Ox to change it up after 65-70. If he goes with Keita or even Ox in the midfield, he's going for the throat in the away tie, knowing if he gets 2 goals, it's effectively over.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Note, I freely admit I'm always a bit nervous about the results until they happen.

I also realize that Liverpool should rightly win. But you never know.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
That's pretty bang on.

It also goes without saying but I'll say it anyway, for Atleti to have even the slightest chance they NEED to get a clean sheet here. A 1-0 does little for them too. 2-0 is what is needed to even get to Anfield with hope.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Real Madrid vs. Man City
giphy.gif

Last edited:

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
So f***ing dumb that these games run at the exact same time....

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I saw PSG play at the weekend. I know they were resting some players, but they didn't look as impressive as I expected. They were terrible, but still managed to draw a game on the road. In any of the big European leagues if a top team played like that, they'd lose by a few goals. But Ligue One is an absolute farmers league. They deserve very little credit for destroying that league. I think their CB position is a lot weaker than I thought. Thiago Silva looks done. Marquinhos is just coming back from injury. Where's Diallo? Kimpembe, Kehrer and Kouassi all have significant errors in them. More so than any of our CB's.

Their fullbacks are very weak. I like their CM. Verratti is a very good player. Gueye and Herrera can both do a job, but they could have a lot of work to do if its two of these three instead of three of three. If they play Neymar, Mbappe, Di Maria and Icardi, they'll have to play two of the three and none of those four attackers track back, which could see their midfield overrun. I hope they play all four. Their midfield can be even stronger if they play Marquinhos in there, and that might be the smarter decision if they play all four attackers together, but that weakens their CB position. If its Kouassi and Silva again, we could rip those two apart. Those two were gifting a relegation side numerous goals at the weekend. The big threats will be Neymar and Mbappe. Those two could destroy our defense, but how fit is Neymar? He hasn't played in weeks.

All the pressure is on us today. We need a win at home against PSG. I think we'll carry the play, as we did when we played Barcelona at home, but we need a relentless approach. The reason why Favre hasn't been successful is that he tactically makes terrible adjustments in game. I don't doubt that both teams will score goals in this game, but if we go ahead, we need to keep pushing for goals, and to try to pour it on. We can't once again get the lead, and then turtle. It won't work, and it almost always ends in us not winning a game that we carried. If we do that, we probably won't win the first leg, and then PSG will have a huge advantage heading into the second leg. I'll take any type of win today. I think we can hold PSG to a draw in Paris. I'm not that worried about away goals.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
LOL at farmers league nonsense. Their attack will run you guys over if they're up for it. Dortmund cant defend for their life. Only hope in stopping the attack is if they all have a shit game. You will score goals as well but not more than PSG.

Dortmund would easily beat PSG if they put on Balerdi, they'd ask take the CL in a cake walk but they dont want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad