GWT: Champions League - MW4

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Well yeah, but that's because he bought a CB who can't handle the job physically, bought a FB he won't play, and spent 95M on someone who beats women off the pitch and can't beat defenders on the pitch.

And to be clear, I know you're not arguing about this.
You're claiming Martinez can't handle the job physically because he got a freak non-contact foot injury/broken bone and has needed two surgeries on it?

Reactions: Jussi

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
You're claiming Martinez can't handle the job physically because he got a freak non-contact foot injury/broken bone and has needed two surgeries on it?
I meant Jonny Evans :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, I actually meant Varane, but I forgot he was pre-ETH. I just know he's injured a ton.

Regarding Licha, wasn't the issue this season that ETH played him when he wasn't fit?

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
The issue with Martinez is he's too fixated with being the butcher instead of being a defender.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I meant Jonny Evans :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, I actually meant Varane, but I forgot he was pre-ETH. I just know he's injured a ton.

Regarding Licha, wasn't the issue this season that ETH played him when he wasn't fit?
This season was a relapse of the injury from last year. Obviously I can’t comment on the timing of him coning back, but I’d assume that the entire medical team cleared him to return and he did play regular games for about a month and a half before going out again so it wasn’t like it was an immediate reinjury.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
For what it’s worth, they did kinda back him to buy players, kinda not. They spent a crap load of money, but then didn’t buy some of the other guys he wanted.

Not having a clear plan in the football recruitment and player acquisition is still one of the major issues. But it’s further than that. There’s a lot rotten in that club.

ETH bears a lot of the blame. They don’t really have a plan. Players don’t really make runs. Some of the guys he did buy aren’t good enough or don’t really fit what it seems like he wants to do. Whether the guys signing checks just let him do whatever or he’s having to do it because some of them are hacks, I’ll believe either.

A lot of what they do have is also overpaid and entitled. Not really what I would want to build a club around. They got ahead of themselves when last year teams like Liverpool Chelsea and Spurs did all they could to f it up. They thought they were closer, even with the Ronaldo horse mess.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Lunin with good saves, including a penalty. Brahim Diaz also had a good match, and Vini & Rodrygo found each other nicely.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I have no pity for Ten Hag. I think people forget how absurd the money that he spent the past two years to get the players he specifically wanted.

Fair to him, he did give hope to the fanbase by qualifying to the CL and winning a trophy in his first season, the issue is that the player he purchased were overpriced or older or just not good enough. With hindsight none of them stand out as a huge success maybe Hojlund who seem to have the tools and attitude but the rest I am still not convinced.

If you take for comparison Tottenham with Ange, they have spend on many more players but they were less expensive and all have a purpose to the tactic that he wanted to operate and many of them already look like bargain.

Is it possible he can shift the team on the right track? Maybe but it is very concerning that after more than one year since he joined to see the team struggle that much offensively and with so many internal battle and turmoil within that team.

Last edited:

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Results aside, quality of football aside... The handball rules in the CL are an absolute joke and are actively ruining watching the games for me.

I've played/followed/watched football with some basic understanding since EURO 1988 when I was 7.
Obviously some as a kid, then young adult, etc.
Different levels of passion and investment, etc.
But I can't remember being this disheartened and being basically sure that an important game will be influenced by a ridiculous handball decision.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I don't think anyone thinks Erik 7 Hag (LMAO, well played by that poster) is the sole problem but that Manchester United crumbled so hard the instant Liverpool/Spurs got back on track and Newcastle/Villa/Brighton didn't fall off is such a bad look for him. They didn't look great last year either TBH and there were red flags then (like getting drubbed 7-0 by Liverpool) but the club is showing clear regression from where they were a year ago and where they were a year ago still needed a shit ton of improvement. It's not good.

Reactions: Power Man

King Makar19

Dec 5, 2019
was great to see Saliba and Rice dominating yesterday with Martinelli and Saka giving nightmares to fullback.

the French Croissant side is next. Will be an easy W so we can send El Neny Inc. to PSV

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
For what it’s worth, they did kinda back him to buy players, kinda not. They spent a crap load of money, but then didn’t buy some of the other guys he wanted.

Not having a clear plan in the football recruitment and player acquisition is still one of the major issues. But it’s further than that. There’s a lot rotten in that club.

ETH bears a lot of the blame. They don’t really have a plan. Players don’t really make runs. Some of the guys he did buy aren’t good enough or don’t really fit what it seems like he wants to do. Whether the guys signing checks just let him do whatever or he’s having to do it because some of them are hacks, I’ll believe either.

A lot of what they do have is also overpaid and entitled. Not really what I would want to build a club around. They got ahead of themselves when last year teams like Liverpool Chelsea and Spurs did all they could to f it up. They thought they were closer, even with the Ronaldo horse mess.
Other than FDJ, who has he not gotten?

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Barcelona getting dusted by shaktar donetsk.... haha... oh man...
Forget even the rangers, but even celtic getting smoked in the champions league. No scottish prem league team will ever get out of group... difficult even enough getting third and europa berth.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
was great to see Saliba and Rice dominating yesterday with Martinelli and Saka giving nightmares to fullback.

the French Croissant side is next. Will be an easy W so we can send El Neny Inc. to PSV
The team that beat you?
Please continue to think it's going to be easy. Some HF posters did the same thing before the first game. I think at least them learnt their lesson. Not you.

Antony for 100M. And someone here said he was worth it and laughed at me for saying I wouldn't give up more than 40.

Reactions: luiginb

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Barcelona getting dusted by shaktar donetsk.... haha... oh man...
Forget even the rangers, but even celtic getting smoked in the champions league. No scottish prem league team will ever get out of group... difficult even enough getting third and europa berth.

Celtic fans have good right to be miffed about the red card they received that really led to their downfall. Of course, it's kind of lost in the general VAR/red card madness of the past week.

CuuuJooo

May 28, 2021
Huge win for Shakhtar to keep going for 2nd in the group.

Newcastle just desperately hoping for Milan to pull a miracle to stay realistically alive.
Expected result for the Toon. Sigh.

Stupid Group of Death.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Newcastle getting a result out of Paris would certainly throw the group into chaos, but PSG have been a lot better at home so far in this CL campaign and they'll be really motivated to get Newcastle back for what happened in england.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad