Chad Johnson- "For a lot of games, it just seemed like a mess"

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Johnson has 4 NHL seasons in which he played over 25 games.( A 1b starter)

His save percentage in those seasons in no praticular order: .910, .891, .925, and .920.

Can you guess which of those seasons was with the 2017-18 Buffalo Sabres?

Not saying it's not Johnson's fault, but it's not entirely his fault either.
I have a hunch, he'll have much better numbers on a better team next season

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Hilarious quote. Does he really think he can fool anyone with that? Yes, we sucked this year but Johnson and Lehner were part of it. Their unreliable play in goal didn't really help stabilizing the defense.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
If Eichel said this Buffalo fans would be fighting for him but since it’s a normal player, they bash him. Hehe

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Pretty bad reflection of the franchise when players are candidly speaking like this. Organization needs a shake up from the top down.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
This guy has always been an enigma; I’ve seen him put up good numbers on defensively responsible teams, but can’t stop a beach ball on teams that slack on defense.

He was awful for the islanders in 2014-2015, after putting up good numbers with the bruins. Then puts up good numbers with defensively responsible Calgary after being with the islanders.

I see a correlation; he should have known his numbers would slide. :help:

He was really good early on in the season here in Calgary, but that was it. One really good stretch of games closer to the start of the season, which was lucky because Elliott came out of the gates atrociously. However, after Elliott took back the reigns down the stretch, Johnson was simply terrible in Calgary in his starts. I didn't want either goaltender back after last season.

Johnson is good, but only for stretches and doesn't have that consistency to be that reliable starter or even backup you want. Was surprised he got signed for so much this past season.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
If Eichel said this Buffalo fans would be fighting for him but since it’s a normal player, they bash him. Hehe

If Eichel said this leaf fans would have already started three threads and a Poll asking if he is the worst human to ever exist.

Eichel gets more than his fair share of flack, we just keep it to our own boards rather than drag everything to the main boards.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Eichel was close to ppg while having a high ankle sprain.... there's not really a comparison

Chad didn't play up to his post-season chatter

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
i'm not a big fan of Buffalo, but it's pretty shitty for some garbage goalie to needlessly call out his whole team like this

Last edited:

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I hope people want to give Beaulieu a second chance too. Beaulieu for a bag of pucks anyone?

Last edited:

Alexei Yashvalev

Nov 15, 2006
Victoria B.C.
The correct way to tank is to hilariously win Fleury, then get a draft like 2004 where 2nd pick gets you Malkin, then win Crosby (bonus points for not even playing the season and still picking first overall).

The Sabres aren't lucking hard enough and it's getting them down.

Of course if the Oilers won those players they would've traded Malkin for Dion Phaneuf.

Reactions: sufferer

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
Johnson has 4 NHL seasons in which he played over 25 games.( A 1b starter)

His save percentage in those seasons in no praticular order: .910, .891, .925, and .920.

Can you guess which of those seasons was with the 2017-18 Buffalo Sabres?

Not saying it's not Johnson's fault, but it's not entirely his fault either.
I have a hunch, he'll have much better numbers on a better team next season

He was not good, nor was Lehner, and Sabre fans have to ask how much of it was that both goalies happened to have by far their worst career years or was it mostly the team in front of him?

I think we all know the answer but doesn't mean we should bring either back.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Based on the comments recently from Ryan O'Reilly, I would say there is something to some of what Johnson said, although I still think he is an average backup goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad