Boston Globe Chad Finn: It sure feels like Stanley Cup fever is spreading in Boston

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
6a0115709f071f970b01538f5c4fb0970b.jpe

THE BANDWAGON HAS ARRIVED

It sure feels like Stanley Cup fever is spreading in Boston - The Boston Globe
Yeah, you all saw this coming with the Bruins, didn’t you? Sure you did. I believe that almost as much as I believe that stack of Zach Hamill rookie cards hoarded away in your closet is going to bring an eBay jackpot someday. There’s a fine line between optimism and delusion, and to Bruins’ fans credit, I think most entered this season with realistic goals in mind.

Earning a playoff berth seemed possible. But winning a playoff series? A wish unlikely to be granted given the presumed imbalance on the roster, which featured a couple of reliable stars (Brad Marchand, Patrice Bergeron), a couple of supposedly aging stalwarts (Zdeno Chara, David Backes), a future cornerstone or two (David Pastrnak, Charlie McAvoy) and a whole lot of question marks. Here we are now, with 76 games down, six to go in the regular season, and the calendar about to flip to April, and the Bruins have long since vaulted past those maybe-they’re-a-playoff-team lukewarm expectations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thrive

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Finn the mefia critic with his finger on the pulse of the Bruins...probably follows Murphy on Twitter

I have a problem with the media critic not living in a place where he can see the local TV stations ( Chad lives in southern Maine )

With Fluto bailing from the Globe it will be curious to see how Globe sports editor Joe Sullivan fills the void. Chris Kuc who was the Chicago Tribune's beat writer until 2 weeks ago when the paper eliminated the position is in the mix and he might look at Hags or Murphy as well.

Seems obvious Finn wants the beat job.

If it was my call I would hire either Mark Divver or Mike Loftus.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I had this team fighting for first in the division at the start of the year.

I also had them going to the conference finals last year. And they probably wouldve if not for injuries

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
The playoffs are going to be such a toss-up. I believe the Bruins are the best team in the Atlantic and have a very good shot at the ECF, if not the finals but Toronto and Tampa also have very good teams and it wouldn't be a complete shocker if they lost in the 1st or 2nd round either. I think you can say that for all 3 Atlantic teams. It could be 1st round, SCF, or anything in between for all 3 of these teams. Perhaps they beat eachother up on their road to the ECF and whichever Metro team is waiting for them just steps over the bodies and walks to the SCF.......sort of like Mr. Pink in Reservoir Dogs.

Having said all that, the objective for this team should be, and probably is, the cup.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I have a problem with the media critic not living in a place where he can see the local TV stations ( Chad lives in southern Maine )

With Fluto bailing from the Globe it will be curious to see how Globe sports editor Joe Sullivan fills the void. Chris Kuc who was the Chicago Tribune's beat writer until 2 weeks ago when the paper eliminated the position is in the mix and he might look at Hags or Murphy as well.

I think Mark Diiver is outstanding.
Ty Anderson is very good. I've known him for years and he passes my extremely high bar of hockey knowledge and although he keeps a lid on it he's a funny kid.

Reactions: Alicat

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Hockey's playoffs are like no other, not only do you need to be good you need a ton of luck to win the cup. That being said I love this teams chances as much as any team I have seen following this team in 45 years.

Reactions: sarge88

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts

If it gets Haggs away from regular TV and radio appearances as well as causes him to sever his ties to CSNNE then I’m all for him being hired for the beat writer position.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I think the East is a toss up.

Bruins have a great chance but they have to beat Tampa and/or the Leafs to win the conference.

Caps and Pens seem the best of the Metro. I think anything can happen happen.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Either of those would be preferable to Haggerty or (gulp) Murph. Or KPD. Hang 'em up, Kevin.

PS *Not* digging all of the Cup blather from the Fifth Estate, never mind predictions the B's will win. All of the hype men will pile on if Boston blows a tire. Count on it.

The above is merely a cheap way to lure dire hards and fly by "fans." I'm also superstitious about this sort of thing, so knock it off.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
These guys have just been finding a way to win... tonnes of injuries and it's next man up... no one missing a beat.

I feel good, but I still feel Pitts/Tampa are better teams and we would be underdogs vs them, but not going to stop me for cheering and enjoying the ride!!

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
These guys have just been finding a way to win... tonnes of injuries and it's next man up... no one missing a beat.

I feel good, but I still feel Pitts/Tampa are better teams and we would be underdogs vs them, but not going to stop me for cheering and enjoying the ride!!

I think it could be argued that Tampa and Boston are very close.

I don't see an argument for Pittsburgh being better than Boston. That D is a train wreck

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

I only know Divver from Twitter, but I find him to be informative and even-handed, which would be nice from a sports writer in town these days.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland

And if I were either Divver or Loftus, I'd be worried about what I'd be walking into at the Globe, though both are great choices.

Reactions: Bad Puck Bounce

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
I like this thread about as much as I like the “we want the cup” chant ringing through the Garden rafters.

I hate it.

Dial it back a tad, Boston.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Yeah, God forbid people enjoy themselves

I hear you, folks are having a blast.

I too am thoroughly enjoying this team,as I do every Bs team every year. And I too want the cup.

Years and years of watching teams leave it all on the ice/field and reach the ultimate goal such a small fraction of the time....which IS the norm for all teams...Leaves me cautiously optimistic, but not wanting to put excessive expectations on the team and NOT form excessive expectations that will leave me deflated. Even the 2011 Cup winner was within a hair of a first round defeat.

Been watching Sox and Bruins since 1967 (I was 6 at my first Red Sox game and first Bruins game). Lotta highs and lows over that time.

Maybe I’m taking it too serious? But I REALLY want the Cup and think those who’ve been around long enough also feel when you want it so bad, you don’t chant it.

To each their own, I’m not being critical, just saying ...I hate it!

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
They guy at work who says “it’s not my game anymore” is now in full “awww yeah Tuuuuka was the man the otha night when’s Maloney (McAvoy) comin’ back?” mode.

God save me.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad