Prospect Info: Chad Billins

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Billins seems to be a good player, but I doubt he makes it with Calgary. As good as he is, he's fairly redundant to what he brings on our team. I hope he gets a chance though at some point with someone.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think in order to stick in the NHL, you really need to be able to do at least one thing really well. Billins is fine as a fill-in, but he doesn't really excel at anything at the NHL level.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I just don't see him ever surpassing Brodie or Russell on our depth charts. I'm not sure where I see him fit in. However I'd take him over Smith any day.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Yeah, too many similar, more established options on the Flames now (compared to when he was acquired). He's still young in his pro career though, he's probably the type that will play a few year in the AHL first (assuming he doesn't opt for Europe).

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Billins will never be a regular NHL defenseman. I find him average at best defensively at the AHL level and with his size and lack of a mean streak all he is good for is offense. Which is fine in the minors, but won't be enough to get him more than a few games here and there.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Billins is pretty small and we don't need another small guy on the Flames. But I have high hopes for him. He's very steady offensively and could be a 4-6th defenseman who quarterbacks the power play if he tightens it up defensively.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
He's really a poor mans Russell. With Russell, Giordano, Wideman, and Brodie, there is really no place for him here. He could possibly make it as a bottom pairing guy, but he won't likely be much more than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad