Ch.2 interview; Murray talks Leino, draft and teams future

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
@BuffNewsVogl: Asked today about Sabres' needs, GM Tim Murray said: "I don’t know if I want to sit here this long."

:laugh:

Tim Murray is the inappropriate and far too honest uncle you wish you had.

I'd pay good money to here him and Brian Burke talk about a trade.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Tim Murray is the inappropriate and far too honest uncle you wish you had.

I'd pay good money to here him and Brian Burke talk about a trade.
Brain Burke is also trying to trade for Dion :help: that guy is his own worst enemy in his own zone. Why take on that bad contract. Some GM's hold onto their players a little too much. I don't think Murray is that guy.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
To name one. Larsson.

Time to hop off that Kaleta train. Face it. There no place in hockey for that guy. Move on. He wont find another team. He's AHL or he's finding work overseas. No more excuses for him.

That's a pretty unrealistic view of the bottom six. Larsson was a 2nd round pick and has enough offensive skill to be able to fill in a top-six position if needed. You can't fill your bottom six with guys like that. Not even the best teams have 6 guys like Larsson on their 3rd and 4th lines. Kaleta is still a very good penalty killer and can provide timely hits. If he keeps his game clean-ish, he should be here for another year or 2. I'd like to see him chip in a few more goals, of course, but I don't think he's done yet either way.

Somebody mentioned he might have to play over-seas, but I doubt his game translates to big ice and leagues with less hitting.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Brain Burke is also trying to trade for Dion :help: that guy is his own worst enemy in his own zone. Why take on that bad contract. Some GM's hold onto their players a little too much. I don't think Murray is that guy.

he is?

It would be pretty hysterical if Brian Burke traded a bunch of garbage (for a 2nd time) to get Phaneuf's contract BACK on Calgary's books

That would be my favorite hockey trade of all time :laugh:

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
That's a pretty unrealistic view of the bottom six. Larsson was a 2nd round pick and has enough offensive skill to be able to fill in a top-six position if needed. You can't fill your bottom six with guys like that. Not even the best teams have 6 guys like Larsson on their 3rd and 4th lines. Kaleta is still a very good penalty killer and can provide timely hits. If he keeps his game clean-ish, he should be here for another year or 2. I'd like to see him chip in a few more goals, of course, but I don't think he's done yet either way.

Somebody mentioned he might have to play over-seas, but I doubt his game translates to big ice and leagues with less hitting.
I mentioned that and Larsson I don't see playing anything more than 3rd line center in the future and on the PK. I think he is the shutdown 3rd line center that helps us go deep into the playoffs that every team covets and thats why I rated him so high in our prospect polls earlier. My argument was that there is no need for Kaleta; his hype was being a good PKer and I was asked who could fill that role. My reply was Larsson (On the PK).

he is?

It would be pretty hysterical if Brian Burke traded a bunch of garbage (for a 2nd time) to get Phaneuf's contract BACK on Calgary's books

That would be my favorite hockey trade of all time :laugh:
I saw it last night on TSN Sportscentre, Burke was talking about Dion and how he is a great captain as well as a class act guy and would love to have him in Calgary.

Last edited:

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
I mentioned that and Larsson I don't see playing anything more than 3rd line center in the future and on the PK. I think he is the shutdown 3rd line center that helps us go deep into the playoffs that every team covets and thats why I rated him so high in our prospect polls earlier. My argument was that there is no need for Kaleta; his hype was being a good PKer and I was asked who could fill that role. My reply was Larsson (On the PK).

I saw it last night on TSN Sportscentre, Burke was talking about Dion and how he is a great captain as well as a class act guy and would love to have him in Calgary.

Except that Larsson isn't ready yet. He may be that guy in a year or 2, but he's not going to step in and automatically be the best PK'er on the team this year.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

I wasn't comparing them as GMs, just they are both very blunt and frank and have similar dispositions.

I think they would probably yell and fight for a few hours then have a few beers after

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
Roster filler.

I don't think that Kaleta is here in 4 years, but I do see him back this season as long as he stays away from getting suspended.

I agree with this. I definitely think he gets another chance this year, and worst case he gets buried part way through the year. Unless we bring in several free agents/trade acquisitions up front, I see a place for him on the active roster at the very least.

Top six: Ennis, Hodgson, Stafford, Stewart, Girgensons, Foligno
Bottom six: Mitchell, Flynn, Conacher, Deslauriers, Kaleta, Larsson, Ellis

Probably an acquisition pushes Foligno from the top six to that bottom six group. Larsson and Ellis should be in Rochester before Kaleta. I think Kaleta stands at #11 on the forward depth chart as of now in terms of who would get sent down to Rochester first. Though Deslauriers might be less likely to win an everyday role, they're not going to risk losing him on waivers unless he's a complete disappointment in camp. Ellis doesn't bring as much to the table as Kaleta and Larsson could benefit from another year of seasoning in the AHL. Of course, they would need to add two bottom six centers in order to send Larsson down.

Hodgson - Ennis - Stafford
_______ - Girgensons - Stewart
Foligno - _______ - Flynn
Conacher - ______ - Mitchell
Kaleta, Deslauriers

Still all speculation at this point, but that's how I see it.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I agree with this. I definitely think he gets another chance this year, and worst case he gets buried part way through the year. Unless we bring in several free agents/trade acquisitions up front, I see a place for him on the active roster at the very least.

Top six: Ennis, Hodgson, Stafford, Stewart, Girgensons, Foligno
Bottom six: Mitchell, Flynn, Conacher, Deslauriers, Kaleta, Larsson, Ellis

Probably an acquisition pushes Foligno from the top six to that bottom six group. Larsson and Ellis should be in Rochester before Kaleta. I think Kaleta stands at #11 on the forward depth chart as of now in terms of who would get sent down to Rochester first. Though Deslauriers might be less likely to win an everyday role, they're not going to risk losing him on waivers unless he's a complete disappointment in camp. Ellis doesn't bring as much to the table as Kaleta and Larsson could benefit from another year of seasoning in the AHL. Of course, they would need to add two bottom six centers in order to send Larsson down.

Hodgson - Ennis - Stafford
LARSSON- Girgensons - Stewart
Foligno - _______ - Flynn
Conacher - ______ - Mitchell
Kaleta, Deslauriers

Still all speculation at this point, but that's how I see it.

Unless we sign a boatload of NHL forwards, I find it very unlikely that Larsson doesnt make the roster...

in that group, he should arguably be in the top 6.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Murray sure thinks Ekblad is going #1. Seems like Ekblad is likely #1 on his board as well, but if so not by much since he doesn't seem to care that he's not going to get him and will instead get the 'need' pick.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
To name one. Larsson.

Time to hop off that Kaleta train. Face it. There no place in hockey for that guy. Move on. He wont find another team. He's AHL or he's finding work overseas. No more excuses for him.

Face what? .. You don't like him. Fine. Many here do..and like what he brings on the 4th line... Do you see anyone telling you to face **** and hop on the Kaleta train? Quit being a dick.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Paul Hamilton ‏@pham1717 4m

Tim Murray's on the NHL Network now.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Face what? .. You don't like him. Fine. Many here do..and like what he brings on the 4th line... Do you see anyone telling you to face **** and hop on the Kaleta train? Quit being a dick.
I never meant to be a dick about it, curious. What does he bring to the 4th line that some other goon cant? In all honesty I would like Buffalo to eventually roll 4 lines with the 4th line being big bodies and laying the hits down but have some offensive upside. We can start that by cutting Kaleta out the equation now.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
There are many 4th liners who bring more than Kaleta does that are available. He's gritty and good on the PK, that's all. I'm sick of defending Kaleta's dirty antics.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
There are many 4th liners who bring more than Kaleta does that are available. He's gritty and good on the PK, that's all. I'm sick of defending Kaleta's dirty antics.

Then don't. Nobody is forcing you to.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I'm with you but I'm just sick of his dirty antics. How can anyone defend any of them? I couldn't. Not even that Mike Richards hit.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I never meant to be a dick about it, curious. What does he bring to the 4th line that some other goon cant? In all honesty I would like Buffalo to eventually roll 4 lines with the 4th line being big bodies and laying the hits down but have some offensive upside. We can start that by cutting Kaleta out the equation now.

He's a great skater, hitter and PK'er. Draws lots of penalties. Everyone you "compare" him to aren't even 4th liners... Marchand is a 1st to 2nd liner.. Clutterbuck is a 3rd liner.

Kaleta does have offensive ability..he's shown it in the past. His game changed where he was less interested in the puck and more interested in hitting because all of the burden was placed on him.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
Then don't. Nobody is forcing you to.

What a generic response. Don't comment on anyone that doesn't like Kaleta, nobody is forcing you to. He scored 10 goals nearly 6 years ago, he's 28 years old, and the past 5 seasons he's had goal totals of 4, 5, 1, 0, 1 and is injured all the time. He's a WNY native, which is probably why you're so attached to him.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Unless we sign a boatload of NHL forwards, I find it very unlikely that Larsson doesnt make the roster...

in that group, he should arguably be in the top 6.

I agree with you, but hypothetically, if he wasn't in the top 6 in Buffalo would you rather have him in the top 6 in Rochester?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'm with you but I'm just sick of his dirty antics. How can anyone defend any of them? I couldn't. Not even that Mike Richards hit.

You don't need to defend them. Bad hits happen. They happen more to players that hit a lot.. they happen even more to players that play with an edge..they happen even more to players who play with adrenalin and are high strung. It's the type of game he plays.. yeah he needs to concentrate on hockey a little more...but why are people pissed at him when "we" created him...

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
What a generic response. Don't comment on anyone that doesn't like Kaleta, nobody is forcing you to. He scored 10 goals nearly 6 years ago, he's 28 years old, and the past 5 seasons he's had goal totals of 4, 5, 1, 0, 1 and is injured all the time. He's a WNY native, which is probably why you're so attached to him.

Yeah probably..... considering I didn't grow up in Western NY nor do I live there now.

Lived in Buffalo for 2 years in the early 2000's .. I'm so attached .. ;)

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Kaleta is under contract, so even if you don't like him I don't see why we should just let him go. He's a solid 4th liner. Maybe we can upgrade, but that's still a maybe, and I don't see the pressing need for it. It's one less hole to fill if we keep him. If we add another bottom 6'er then we have some semblance of depth.

Few players over the past few years have made it as much a point to give it his all for the Buffalo Sabres. It's not just a "this is the team I play for", the guy truly loves the Sabres down to his bones. Now, that's not enough reason to keep a guy, but he's not garbage. He's a good PKer and a good defensive player for a bottom 6'er.

The thing I can see is being sick of the suspensions. I have no argument for that, either you're OK with it or you want to move on.

Last edited:

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
You don't need to defend them. Bad hits happen. They happen more to players that hit a lot.. they happen even more to players that play with an edge..they happen even more to players who play with adrenalin and are high strung. It's the type of game he plays.. yeah he needs to concentrate on hockey a little more...but why are people pissed at him when "we" created him...
If your going to be a high strung and a high adrenaline player; then you should be like Raffi Torres and still have some offensive game. His problem is; he's that high strung, high adrenaline player who has dirty hits on his resume but brings nothing to the actual sport of hockey and this is why he's on his last leg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad