GDT: CGY vs NJD @ 8PM - Jon Gillies' Revenge?

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
This feels like a win is a win is a win, but I also feel like there's been a lot lacking from our top 6, except Chucky maybe. Not sure if we saw them flying into our town last night like we did into Denver on a a b2b. Hope we come back with a little more next game.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
This feels like a win is a win is a win, but I also feel like there's been a lot lacking from our top 6, except Chucky maybe. Not sure if we saw them flying into our town last night like we did into Denver on a a b2b. Hope we come back with a little more next game.
Seems like the top line has had a ton of chances, just can't buy one tonight

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Crazy that Lucic + Ritchie wing duo is outplaying the Mangiapani - Toffoli wing duo.

I wonder why that could be...

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Seems like the top line has had a ton of chances, just can't buy one tonight
In the last few minutes there were several, just feels like they haven't been clicking and not really singling anyone out. Just doesn't seem like high level clickage like normal. I mean last game there was lots of reason for a flop output, I hate b2bs especially with all the extra travel and short between game period. Maybe I'm being a bit greedy, just doesn't look all that sharp.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
i-like-what-i-see

I like what I be seeing.

Exciting night topped off with a nice win. Giddy up.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Monahan has games where he plays quickly and skates really well like the last 4 and then games like these where it looks like he traded hips with Darryl Sutter
So when you say he swapped hips with Sutter, are those the games he's good or are those the games where he's bad?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Good win. Rapidly losing interest in the regular season with 22(!!) games left and little at stake in the standings. Sutter interviews are still refreshing

Reactions: Tofveve

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Strong performance from the depth and the top 4 D. Gotta say the Dome is a fun place to be right now, Flames fans deserve it.

Good : Dube, really liked his C performance. The goal he scored is kind of what we've been missing from our bottom 9 centers all season. Hope he can get hot going into the playoffs because he's likely our fastest forward. Gudbranson, great pass on Tkachuk's goal, laid out a couple Devils. Tkachuk was our best forward tonight. Thought Hanifin and Andersson were both strong, especially Noah in transition. Mangiapane also was really good in all 3 zones.

Not bad : Brett Ritchie SCORED A GOAL! Wow. Incredible. Thought he was going for the no-hitter this season. Also took a very stupid 4 minute penalty. Lucic better than usual. Kylington back to closing gaps and shooting everything in sight. Looked healthy to me. Backlund mostly kept Hughes under wraps and had some nice rushes.

Sure OK : Toffoli, didn't see much of. Couple poor turnovers. Coleman was skating well and shooting lots, good work on the PK. Tanev, ol reliable. Lindholm looked a little slow and uninterested. Lewis non descript Trevor Lewis performance, shot when he should have passed, passed when should have shot. Monahan, apparently thinks chipping the puck deep is his entire job

Not good : Gaudreau, poor by his standards. Took the game off. Totally fine if he wants to save himself for the playoffs, we didn't need him to be all world tonight. Markstrom also not very good, can forgive the 1st Devils goal but that 2nd one was leaky. Nice to see the team give him some goal support. Zadorov some old bad habits are creeping into his game. Another penalty and probably could have been called for a couple more, lazy coverage on their 3rd. .

Bad : Devils' goaltending and defense. Dougie PK and Severson all overpaid with their head up their ass. Their forwards were decent. Me @ Blackjack

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Sort of feel that we're going to see a line transition when Calle gets here.

We'll have the top line; a line that can produce a lot of points and take over a game.
We'll have a new second line, with Mangiapane - Jarnkrok - Toffoli; Toffoli and Mangi can absolutely fill the net, all three are excellent 2 way players, Calle's a solid skater that can distribute the puck a bit and is confident carrying the puck.
The third line will literally be Tampa's equivalent of Coleman - Gourde - Goodrow with Coleman - Backlund - Lewis. Those guys all chipped in for like 6-8 points on Tampa's cup run; which is something those guys can do (outside of Lewis, but I think Backlund has a bit more offensive upside).
The fourth line will sort of de-facto go to Monahan as the centre; but I'd be happier with Dube or Ruzicka down there come playoff time.

Reactions: Tofveve

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Lucic’s clearing shots/passes in his own zone are very weak. My little sister can make stronger clearing. Someone needs to tell him that. It has been going for weeks now. Slow and weak is not a good combo

Reactions: Tofveve and Kahvi

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Lucic’s clearing shots/passes in his own zone are very weak. My little sister can make stronger clearing. Someone needs to tell him that. It has been going for weeks now. Slow and weak is not a good combo
It's like he's not feeling the puck on his stick lately. It's not that he's not putting power into the puck... it's that the puck isn't where he seems to think it is when he tries to shoot or pass it.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
It's like he's not feeling the puck on his stick lately. It's not that he's not putting power into the puck... it's that the puck isn't where he seems to think it is when he tries to shoot or pass it.
Yeah his touch is gone so need to start putting some power on it

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Man. You guys cant even admit when Monahan has a fantastic game. If he plays like that down the stretch we are in incredible shape.

Dube/Lucic just click for whatever reason. Keep them together.

The most obvious lines for next game would be

Topline
Coleman - Backlund - Jarnkrok
Mangiapane - Monahan - Toffoli
Lucic - Dube - Lewis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad