GDT: CGY vs NJD @ 8PM - Jon Gillies' Revenge?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Man. You guys cant even admit when Monahan has a fantastic game. If he plays like that down the stretch we are in incredible shape.

Dube/Lucic just click for whatever reason. Keep them together.

The most obvious lines for next game would be

Topline
Coleman - Backlund - Jarnkrok
Mangiapane - Monahan - Toffoli
Lucic - Dube - Lewis
He was kinda Ok but fantastic? That’s a low bar

Also notice how his line mates started scoring once they ‘escaped’ from him?

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

Monahan's linemates were scoring as well, What's your point? The bottom six all played really well with the exception of Ritchie (and that is more so due to his penalties)

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Getting a kick out of cp right now. Apparently we aren’t “true fans”.

What the f*** is that supposed to mean :laugh:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Monahan's linemates were scoring as well, What's your point? The bottom six all played really well with the exception of Ritchie (and that is more so due to his penalties)
My point is Monahan has not helped his line mates scoring….do you have any real data to dispute that?

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
My point is Monahan has not helped his line mates scoring….do you have any real data to dispute that?

I agree it's a tough argument to make when his on ice shooting percentage is the lowest of any flames regular, but analytically he has made Dube and Lucic perform at a higher level than they do without him. Hell even last game was a good example of that. He very easily could/should have had a couple points last night but the puck didn't bounce his way and that one Kylington turnover turned into a instant minus against due to a softy let in by Markstrom. Lucic/Ritchie were the benefactors of some fortunate breaks themselves so yes I do think it was a coincidence they hit the scoresheet.

His mid range goals for / against percentages while on the ice are at a laughably low level (something like 20%), and ton of that has nothing to do with him.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Sheep over there.
Echo chambers are dangerous. There's a reason on every form of social media and forums about hockey Oiler fans always talk about drinking the CP cool-aid.

Reactions: Kahvi

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Feel like I've said this already, but I do agree that Monahan had a lowkey good game. If he could get going, this could be our fwd group heading into the playoffs

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk
Coleman-Backlund-Jarnkrok
Mangiapane-Monahan-Tofolli
Lucic-Dube-Lewis

Granted I feel as though Monahan has had plenty of "good games" before falling back off the Earth. I really hope he gets some consistency in his game.

Reactions: TheHudlinator

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Man. You guys cant even admit when Monahan has a fantastic game. If he plays like that down the stretch we are in incredible shape.

Topline
Lucic - Dube - Lewis

Mangiapane was absolutely flying out there. He's easily our best forward that's not on the top line.
Even on the goal that line scored last night, I don't think Monahan touched the puck once.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Topline
Lucic - Dube - Lewis
I'd personally prefer Ruzicka over Monahan with those stacked linemates but I can absolutely see Sutter playing the veteran over Ruzicka

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Lucic’s clearing shots/passes in his own zone are very weak. My little sister can make stronger clearing. Someone needs to tell him that. It has been going for weeks now. Slow and weak is not a good combo

I didn't watch the game last night but I've noticed the same. Awful clearing attemps

Reactions: TheHudlinator

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Sheep over there.
Echo chambers are dangerous. There's a reason on every form of social media and forums about hockey Oiler fans always talk about drinking the CP cool-aid.

I like HF because there's not too many Flames fans here and almost everyone is in touch with reality for most of the time. I don't want to read 50 pages of Flames are the best posts everytime something happens, 3 posts that actually have some content in them are way more interesting.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Mangiapane was absolutely flying out there. He's easily our best forward that's not on the top line.
Even on the goal that line scored last night, I don't think Monahan touched the puck once.
Actually Monahan won the faceoff to start that shift which led directly to a Kylington dump in. Monahan then got in on the forecheck and stripped Severson in a puck battle and a fired a good pass to Toffoli who was open in the slot. Toffoli's shot was blocked and that's where Mangiapane scooped up the loose puck before doing his thing. He was a large part of that goal.

Regardless. I get the criticism's. Monahan has struggled this year adapting to a significantly decreased role alongside players that don't exactly compliment his skillset. The transactions to bring in two legitimate top nine forwards should go a long ways in slotting him properly within the lineup and helping him bounce back. We just have to afford him that opportunity. His wrists/finishing ability may no longer be at the level they use to be (that much is apparent) but he still has the ability to process the game and compliment high end skill at the second highest level among our centers (that is my opinion - many clearly disagree).

We know his game is not an ideal fit for the likes of Lewis and Lucic as we have seen first hand over the first 60 games of the season. We know Dube and Lucic have a great level of chemistry and comfort together and Dube seems more confident at C. We have seen Mangiapane and Monahan produce at high levels in limited time together (8 goals for in just under 117 minutes of five on five hockey). Unless you take Monahan out of the lineup all together, I think the absolute best approach is to have him center Mangiapane and anyone of Toffoli/Jarnkrok/Dube/Coleman. If he doesn't adequately perform with that level of talent down the stretch you can hand the reigns off to Ruzicka.

tarapoto2006

Mar 2, 2018

That's not surprising. CP forums are full of mostly rose-glassed, kool-aid drinking, elitist, know-it-all d-bags from my experience there. I got banned from there years ago for "trolling" or some such during the Flames/Ducks playoff series, essentially for going against the company line that the Flames outplayed Anaheim and lost because of bad luck, by saying the Ducks were actually the better team. Got into an argument about it with a CP lifer and I was toast. That place was insufferable.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019

I find it hard to go with the narrative that the 4th line being "free" of Monahan is what spurred them into scoring goals. Like, for Lucic and Dube's goals: Lucic is fed in front by Andersson on a pinch wherein it's mid change, and it's a Lucic-Ritchie forecheck that gets it loose to Andersson. Then for Dube's, he's the incumbent centre and at the same time gets out onto the ice with Tkachuk who sets him up. Situationally that play doesn't happen with Monahan but that's because Dube would be the winger (which could be very anecdotal evidence to put Monahan on the wing with Dube) but isn't a situation he would have a chance to be in due to other limitations.

For what it's worth I don'tthink Monahan is anywhere near clear of earning back a top 9 role. Jarnkrok and Dube should be given shots to either centre the Mangiapane line or be the winger with Backlund and disprove their abilities before Monahan gets a spot. He played well ~3 games in a row, tonight was a middle-ground between his cataclysmic drop off and his recent games, but there needs to be some kind of track record. On the other hand, this could be Monahan's last shot this season to say he deserves to be here so I can't complain as long as things change following the deadline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad