Confirmed Trade: [CGY/MTL] Michael McNiven for future considerations

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Was the 3rd in the AHL behind Primeau and Poulin. I guess he refused to join our ECHL club and got deal to the first team that answered the phone that needed a goalie for their AHL club.

With Allen coming back it was pretty much certain he was getting dealt as he already complained earlier this season about not playing enough with Laval.

He is quite clearly the third best option available for Stockton, so I don’t get it.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Calgary Fans at the moment:

giphy.gif

Reactions: 1989 and HabsQC

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Calgary missed out on the Carter Hutton sweepstakes and will now have to settle for McNivens

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
What does future considerations even end up in? I always see it and wonder what it means.
It's mostly just goodwill amongst GMs - building relationships, doing each other favours so that in future you get that courtesy call that the other team is shopping a player, or that your offer has been beat, etc.

Sometimes you will see future considerations end up being an AHL trade, or, for example, recently Toronto acquired Carter Hutton so they can recall him incase of emergency, but they agreed to keep him on ARI's AHL team until then. Those are more practical examples of future considerations, but 90% of the time it amounts to nothing tangible and/or nothing is ever explicitly shared publicly.

Last edited:

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
It's mostly just goodwill amongst GMs - building relationships doing each other favours so that in future you get that courtesy call the other team is shopping a player, or that your offer has been beat, etc.

Sometimes you will see future considerations end up being an AHL trade, or, for example recently Toronto acquired Carter Hutton so they can recall him incase of emergency, but they agreed to keep him on ARI's AHL team until then. Those are more practical examples future considerations, but 90% of the team it amounts to nothing tangible and/or nothing ever explicitly shared publicly.

Ah great explanation. I wondered if it would be like we will throw you a 7th rounder in a couple of years.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
McNiven in junior looked good goalie. But like most goalies just cannot tell. Majority of CHL goalies don't work out. I think development time. Euro seems to be route for top goalies

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I think McNiven wasn't happy in the org anymore. Complained in the media a month ago or so. Bergevin/Ducharme were still there at the time.

Well he's been going nowhere ever since he joined the organization. I guess they had planned a future for him but then Primeau came in and took his spot in Laval. I'm actually kinda surprised McNiven stayed with us as long as he did.

Reactions: jfhabs

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Well he's been going nowhere ever since he joined the organization. I guess they had planned a future for him but then Primeau came in and took his spot in Laval. I'm actually kinda surprised McNiven stayed with us as long as he did.

Though i dont like how he did it, he was mostly right about what he said regarding his usage. No matter how well he was doing, there was no way he could move up in the ranks. There were times where he would have better stats than primeau or lindgren but he never had the chance to overtake them.

That being said, when you come out and make your team look bad in the media, you better back it up with solid performances. You don't just come out, bitch then crumble.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
As others said, McNiven has been increasingly frustrated with the org - for good reasons.

Idk the Flames AHL goalie situation, so I see it either as giving McNiven a favour for the shit he's had to go through - a chance to get his career back on track.

Or simply them dealing with the issue by shipping a disgruntled player somewhere else

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
As others said, McNiven has been increasingly frustrated with the org - for good reasons.

Idk the Flames AHL goalie situation, so I see it either as giving McNiven a favour for the shit he's had to go through - a chance to get his career back on track.

Or simply them dealing with the issue by shipping a disgruntled player somewhere else

We have arguably the best goalie (between he and Schmid) in the AHL, who also first in wins, third in SV% and 5th in GAA. He's also a 21 year old rookie.
The backup is Adam Werner, who is the same age as McNiven and has pretty parallel stats to him. Not exactly sure where the fit is, although it may be in the ECHL... Daniil Chechelev has been down there for us, but it's been a bit of a revolving door around him; pretty sure that was Tyler Parsons spot this year... but no one knows what's going on with that dude.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Seems a weird move to me. Unless they need pure depth at Stockton.

The Flames already have Wolf, Sergeev and Chechelev who are likely all better prospects.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Ya, I don't get it either...even if it is only AHL depth incase of an injury to Wolf/Werner, McNivens would still have to report to ECHL. Maybe he just really wanted out. Is his contract just for the remainder of the year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad