Confirmed Trade: [CGY/MTL] Michael McNiven for future considerations

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Makes sense for MTL after acquiring Hammond, will still have him, Montembeault, and Primeau as depth once Price and Allen come back

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I think McNiven wasn't happy in the org anymore. Complained in the media a month ago or so. Bergevin/Ducharme were still there at the time.

Reactions: abo9 and uncleben

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Being a GM means filling out spots in your AHL roster. Calgary had five goalies under contract (Markstrom/Vladar/Wolf/Parsons/Werner). Parsons has missed the entire year due to injury, so perhaps it's as simple as an injury to Wolf/Werner.

I get the AHL spots, but haven't heard boo about any injuries outside of Parsons. ECHL depth and AHL insurance I guess.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He can be a decent AHL goalie or a very good ECHL goalie. Just need a change of scene as he spoke out in the media about his playing time and then when they put him in he was terrible. I believe he gave up 18 goals in 4 games and since he spoke out, he's had only 1 game where he gave up less then 3 goals.

But I think or hope that he can get back on track somewhere else. Certainly wish him good luck and hope he gets playing time but with Primeau getting the bulk of the starts and McNiven struggling so much, it was said that the Habs might ask him to agree to be sent down to the ECHL so perhaps he said no so they moved him for nothing.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Makes sense for MTL after acquiring Hammond, will still have him, Montembeault, and Primeau as depth once Price and Allen come back

It seems that Montreal were trying to send him down to the ECHL after he lost the backup job in Laval to Kevin Poulin,

Consequently, McNiven is likely to have to bend on his pride and go to Trois-Rivières if he wishes to play.
“Yes, it can become an option. Maybe we'll talk to him about it. If he wants to play matches, it can be a good place. You can go to the ECHL to find your rhythm ”said the coach (JF Houle) about McNiven who did not regain his composure after criticizing the organization for his use.
Quote from Poulin pourrait pousser McNiven à Trois-Rivières (Google Translate Version)

McNiven probably refused to report so Montreal had to find another solution.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Was the 3rd in the AHL behind Primeau and Poulin. I guess he refused to join our ECHL club and got deal to the first team that answered the phone that needed a goalie for their AHL club.

With Allen coming back it was pretty much certain he was getting dealt as he already complained earlier this season about not playing enough with Laval.

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
He can be a decent AHL goalie or a very good ECHL goalie. Just need a change of scene as he spoke out in the media about his playing time and then when they put him in he was terrible. I believe he gave up 18 goals in 4 games and since he spoke out, he's had only 1 game where he gave up less then 3 goals.

But I think or hope that he can get back on track somewhere else. Certainly wish him good luck and hope he gets playing time but with Primeau getting the bulk of the starts and McNiven struggling so much, it was said that the Habs might ask him to agree to be sent down to the ECHL so perhaps he said no so they moved him for nothing.
Agreed . Could be just a numbers game brought on by the Hammond trade or maybe Allen is closer to returning than we thought or possibly a precursor to a larger move .

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
HFBoards loves prospects, draft picks and futures. There's nothing more future than future considerations.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Montreal is really just getting rid of contracts before they make some moves for prospects. They were too close to the limit.

Reactions: Eegs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad