Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] G Dan Vladar signs extension with the Flames (2 years, $2.2M AAV)

Bond

May 10, 2012
If they think Wolf is better than Vladar why do you need someone behind him? Who cares about the 3rd goalie. If you're on your third goalie you aren't winning the SC.

How does this effect that decision?
I highly doubt they view Wolf as better than Vladar. Vladar has looked great against NHL players. Wolf needs another year in the AHL to solidify a back up role. Outside of that Vladar wouldn't get a top 6 RW, so why trade him and gamble on a rookie.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I highly doubt they view Wolf as better than Vladar. Vladar has looked great against NHL players. Wolf needs another year in the AHL to solidify a back up role. Outside of that Vladar wouldn't get a top 6 RW, so why trade him and gamble on a rookie.

Because he's now signed for 3 years.

I'd bet money he's traded by the end of it.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I wouldn't be surprised if Calgary is able to trade Vladar for more than the 3rd rounder they paid for him, and potentially much more. The goalie market is pitifully thin and Vladar should continue to improve.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Markstrom gets injured and then who is behind Wolf? If the Flames were in are rebuild then sure. In two years it could be a Vladar and Wolf duo
The Flames are set in net for the time being, Wolf will continue to Wrangle up playing time in the AHL for the foreseeable future so I wouldn’t expect Vladar to go anywhere until the final season of his new deal.

Jacob Markstrom -NHL Starter
Daniel Vladar - NHL Backup
Dustin Wolf - AHL Starter
Oscar Dansk - AHL Backup
They are the only goalies under contract with Calgary’s organization.

Calgary also has 2 unsigned goalies on their reserve list according to CF.

They are 2020 4th round pick Daniil Chechelev who is playing in the ECHL with the Rapid City Rush and 2021 pick Arsenii Sergeev who just started his freshman NCAA season at the university of Connecticut.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
I don't think there is a plan that is set in stone for the future of the Calgary Flame's goaltending. Why would there be at the moment? We don't know how well Vladar is going to continue to develop, and we don't know how good Wolf will eventually be either. It is smart to re-sign Vladar for the next 2 seasons and provide that stability in net.

Then the Flames get options. In 2 seasons, Markstrom may be regressing or maintaining himself as an elite-level goalie. Vladar could be improving and may surpass Markstrom. Wolf's development may take a u-turn, or he may push himself right to the top as the starter. It really all depends on how all the goalies are doing. This buys the Flames a solid 2 more seasons' worth of stability.

Don't sneeze at the 'leftovers' either - Sergeyev is definitely worth keeping an eye on, and Chechelev may also pan into something. Calgary's goaltending is actually quite strong organizationally, which is fantastic for a change. Back in the Kiprusoff days, you had one glorious starter, and a 'B+/A-' level prospect you were hoping and praying would be ok, but never worked out. This is the first time there is depth in this position organizationally since I can remember - probably going all the way back to the Lemelin-Vernon days, and probably even better than that at the moment.

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
The most underrated backup in the NHL. He could easily be a 1A/1B starter on more than half of the teams.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Makes sense to me. Very reasonable contract, and when you can hold onto a solid backup who you know works well with your organization/system/team/city and your big dollar starting goaltender ahead of him, that stability is easily worth that price for a couple years. You can just put it aside and sit comfortably. No pressure for prospects like Wolf coming up either. If they kick the door down, it's a reasonable enough contract you can always move him if you need to.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I really want to call this guy Darth.

Vluke, I am your father! Darth Vladar

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
FB_IMG_1666405831183.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad