Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] G Dan Vladar signs extension with the Flames (2 years, $2.2M AAV)

Bond

May 10, 2012
Wow, didn't see this coming. Likely ends up being flipped for a solid return.
No way will they trust Dustin Wolf with back up duties. I think Treliving locked in the tandem we will see for the next three years

Reactions: Fig

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
No way will they trust Dustin Wolf with back up duties. I think Treliving locked in the tandem we will see for the next three years

Why would they not trust Wolf? Probably be looking to get into the league next year, at most the year after that, probably our best prospect.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I didn’t think Wolf looked great in preseason. It’s only preseason I know, but he’s young and likely not ready for the step up to the NHL yet.

This is great for both Vladar and the Flames. He’s a very solid backup and he should get more playing time this season.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

They could easily trust Wolf in backup duties - the problem is he would then become one injury away from being the starter during a window we are pushing all in for a cup run. Depth at the goaltending position is critical and this organization believes in all three goalies. This is a fantastic move. Long term that is still Wolf's net to win over.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Wolf is still at least a year away so would be poor to lose Vladar to free agency. Good to keep the options open for a possible Markstrom trade too.

Vladar deserves more responsibility. Happy with this

Reactions: Fig and Boomstick

Bond

May 10, 2012
Why would they not trust Wolf? Probably be looking to get into the league next year, at most the year after that, probably our best prospect.
Markstrom gets injured and then who is behind Wolf? If the Flames were in are rebuild then sure. In two years it could be a Vladar and Wolf duo

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Totally left field, but a really nice surprise.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Wasn't expecting this. It does open speculation that it'll be Markstrom that's moved because Wolf ain't far off from at a backup role in the NHL. Unless he's the one being moved, which would be kind of dumb.

Lots of teams in the east could use a Markstrom - Leafs, Devils, Senators, etc.

Ledge And Dairy

Wasn't expecting this. It does open speculation that it'll be Markstrom that's moved because Wolf ain't far off from at a backup role in the NHL. Unless he's the one being moved, which would be kind of dumb.

Lots of teams in the east could use a Markstrom - Leafs, Devils, Senators, etc.
It doesn't open up any speculation at all that Markstrom will be moved as long as the plan is to keep Lindholm in Calgary. If anything it makes Vladar a stronger trade piece because if he has a great year but he cap doesnt jump Calgary may need to move him for space and now he is on a team friendly deal for a team trying to find a potential young starter moving forward

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
It doesn't open up any speculation at all that Markstrom will be moved as long as the plan is to keep Lindholm in Calgary. If anything it makes Vladar a stronger trade piece because if he has a great year but he cap doesnt jump Calgary may need to move him for space and now he is on a team friendly deal for a team trying to find a potential young starter moving forward
I suspect Lindholm is enough of an adult to sign an extension with Calgary regardless of what happens with Markstrom.

But it would be prototypical Flames with their consistent inability to understand how the cap works to trade the younger, cheaper, possibly better player just to the keep the older, more expensive, soon to be in declining veteran.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Markstrom gets injured and then who is behind Wolf? If the Flames were in are rebuild then sure. In two years it could be a Vladar and Wolf duo

If they think Wolf is better than Vladar why do you need someone behind him? Who cares about the 3rd goalie. If you're on your third goalie you aren't winning the SC.

Lol the day after I dropped him from my deep fantasy team.. Congretz I guess heheh.

How does this effect that decision?

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
If they think Wolf is better than Vladar why do you need someone behind him? Who cares about the 3rd goalie. If you're on your third goalie you aren't winning the SC.

How does this effect that decision?

Clearly the Flames brass didn't like the fallout of my decision to drop him so they decided to reward him to spite my decision.

Ledge And Dairy

I suspect Lindholm is enough of an adult to sign an extension with Calgary regardless of what happens with Markstrom.

But it would be prototypical Flames with their consistent inability to understand how the cap works to trade the younger, cheaper, possibly better player just to the keep the older, more expensive, soon to be in declining veteran.
2 bad takes in 1 post, impressive.

It's not about "being an adult." Unlike Dubois who basically tantrum'd his way out of Columbus Lindholm will simply be hitting free agency. If they trade his best friend in a similar way to Vegas forced Fleury out of town (because that's the only way you can force someone with a full NMC out) then it has a trickle down effect. Logically that would be pretty BM towards Lindholm too. He will simply view the organization in bad faith and look elsewhere.

Vladar is younger and cheaper than Markstrom but to say he's better is just silly. Markstrom is a starting goalie that plays a substantial amount of games a season in comparison to Vladar who is pretty much always fresh and rested when he comes in. I prime example of this is Jonathan Quick and Jack Campbell Despite Campbell putting up better a better SV% the years they played together Quick was still the starting goalie. Eventually Campbell was traded and was given a shot at a starting goalie role last year. To start the season he had excellent numbers but after the ~30 game mark he started to fall off quite a bit.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I wonder what AHL All Star and AHL Goalie of the Year Dustin Wolf thinks about the extension.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
2 bad takes in 1 post, impressive.

It's not about "being an adult." Unlike Dubois who basically tantrum'd his way out of Columbus Lindholm will simply be hitting free agency. If they trade his best friend in a similar way to Vegas forced Fleury out of town (because that's the only way you can force someone with a full NMC out) then it has a trickle down effect. Logically that would be pretty BM towards Lindholm too. He will simply view the organization in bad faith and look elsewhere.

Vladar is younger and cheaper than Markstrom but to say he's better is just silly. Markstrom is a starting goalie that plays a substantial amount of games a season in comparison to Vladar who is pretty much always fresh and rested when he comes in. I prime example of this is Jonathan Quick and Jack Campbell Despite Campbell putting up better a better SV% the years they played together Quick was still the starting goalie. Eventually Campbell was traded and was given a shot at a starting goalie role last year. To start the season he had excellent numbers but after the ~30 game mark he started to fall off quite a bit.

Quite a leap to think that's the only way to move Markstrom. He could just you know, agree. But the fearmongering about needing to placate Lindholm's feelings is a bit much. I should think he understands how the NHL works. He did after all manage to sign with Calgary without his best friend on the team, I'm sure he could do it again.

I said possibly better as in, in the summer when they might start exploring a move depending on how the year goes. Didn't think it needed to be fully explained since it's blatantly obvious. But fine - in a scenario where Markstrom continues to perform like playoff Markstrom against the Oilers while Vlader continues to improve, the only logical move is to move the former while keeping the latter. If such a scenario does not happen, then likely the status quo remains where no one is moved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad