Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] F Jonathan Huberdeau signs extension with Flames (8 years, $10.5M AAV)

Ledge And Dairy

As an Islander fan I know what a terrible powerplay looks like and it seems so do Flames fans this year. Huberdeau is on pace for an extremely unproductive PP year. Like 18 points compared to his numbers last year. I get the Sutter piece but what the deal with the PP?
Our PP has been bad for years. Even last year when it was statistically good it still constantly looked bad

Reactions: crashthenet

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Seems like Huberdeau is producing to his age 21-24 years. We all expected much better. If he rebounds next year, all is forgotten. If he does not, it becomes very worrisome

Might not be all about Suter. Could be lack of chemistry with the centers. Difficult to know for sure.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Yeah Huberdeau is not only underperforming but dogging it. He always has only showed up when he wants to and this time it looks like he is taking the whole year off. He got his deal so why not I guess. What an awful attitude after joining a new club.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Underperforming high dollar signed eliteplayer, yeah those are desinied to get traded to Columbus, and watch their careers pass by to never rebound back to the elite echolon. Watch out Huberdau, or else you are Columbus'ed.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Yeah Huberdeau is not only underperforming but dogging it. He always has only showed up when he wants to and this time it looks like he is taking the whole year off. He got his deal so why not I guess. What an awful attitude after joining a new club.

He's been dogging the past five years or so. He was the Panthers' laziest player by far and he got those 115pts because of how the team was organized around Huberdeau. Now that he's on a team that expects him to elevate the players around him to another level, that's not going to work because he's never been that kind of a player. It only works the other way around: the team needs organized in a way that supports his style of play.

Betelgeuse

Sep 21, 2018
All you can do is laugh at this. Posterboy for the downside of guaranteed contracts. Not saying it's a bad design but this guy is on the tail-end of the sample size.

golgoXIII

Apr 2, 2007
The realy scary part with Huberdeau this year he haven't get on a hot streak for the entire season . Not a single hot streak I'll be really worry if I was Calgary GM

Reactions: Sharkbomb

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Anyone thinking it's an effort issue and not a utilization or deployment issue is completely out of touch.

Reactions: Fig

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
It’s almost like people want to see players fail, particularly ones who sign big FA deals and just wanna pile on

So I’ll be contrarian and say hope Huberdeau turns it around. New team and system and it’s just not working right now

Reactions: periferal

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Feels like he'll be a compliance buyout in the next CBA...

It's been 60 games under a coach who has historically stifled his best players. What about the previous five years where he was a top 10 point producer?

Maybe, just maybe, He should be given a little time here, and an opportunity to play to his strengths that earned him such a contract.

Reactions: Fig and periferal

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
$10.5mil, and only 8 more seasons to go after this one. Scary part is, he's already regressed to a 55point 2nd liner - assuming he actually hits those totals.
NMC too. lol.
What does a buyout look like for this guy?

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Seems like Huberdeau is producing to his age 21-24 years. We all expected much better. If he rebounds next year, all is forgotten. If he does not, it becomes very worrisome

Might not be all about Suter. Could be lack of chemistry with the centers. Difficult to know for sure.
Hubey and 2 1sts for Barkov and Ekblad?

• Haha
Reactions: Little Bobby Boo

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Just goes to show you how much impact elite 1C has. You can also see it in Tkachuck game right now. Barkov is out injured and Tkachuck stat line past 5 games is 2+0 -3. Hockey is all about match-ups. They can make or break players.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Wonder if we could go back a year if the Flames would've traded Johnny G. They got kicked in the tereth with him leaving and instead of considering a rebuild they hodge-podged together such a strange group of players. I don't see much leadership and definitely a lack of chemistry.

Not sure where they go from here, but feels like they're going to be in no-man's land for years.

Reactions: pth2

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Just goes to show you how much impact elite 1C has. You can also see it in Tkachuck game right now. Barkov is out injured and Tkachuck stat line past 5 games is 2+0 -3. Hockey is all about match-ups. They can make or break players.

Sorry to say but you could have researched this one better. When Barkov was out earlier in the year Tkachuk kept on scoring. 8 pts in 6 games.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Sorry to say but you could have researched this one better. When Barkov was out earlier in the year Tkachuk kept on scoring. 8 pts in 6 games.
So not even ppg while he's scoring much more when Barkov is on the line-up. Sounds familiar...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad