Confirmed Trade: [CGY/EDM] James Neal for Milan Lucic

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I mean if you want to go back through those threads you'll see numerous posters claiming Edmonton would need to add a 1st or Puljujarvi+ to swap Lucic for any of Eriksson, Neal, etc. Everyone continued to cite his NMC and the expansion draft as why no team would make the swap without Edmonton giving up massive amounts of assets.

Fair enough. IMO Neal is just as brutal a contract, its just that Lucic and the Oilers are very polarizing on this board.

Nobody really cares enough about the Flames to crap on them about Neal ( no offense).

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Speed wasn't the reason Lucic couldn't fit with McDavid. It had everything to do with his mediocre shot, and poor puck handling skills. For example, Maroon did great with McDavid because he has a decent shot, soft hands, and protects pucks well. Maroon is probably a worse skater than both Neal and Lucic.
Neals puck handling is not better than Lucic's at this point though.

Getting rid of Lucic's contract is a BIG win for the Oilers but effectively paying Neal 6.35m for the exact same on ice impact isn't something to be proud of either

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Absolutely.

Getting rid of Lucic is a win in itself, even though Neal will be no better it gets them out of the NMC situation and isn't buyout proof.

But there's no reason to believe Neal will be any more useful when it comes to on-ice performance

One year removed from an All-Star season is definitely reason to believe he can do better.

Maybe not but to act like it's an impossibility is silly. Dude has played with guys like Malkin before, he'll be able to read off McDavid and get plenty of oppurtunities plus first unit PP time.

There's no one on the Oilers PP that shoots the damn puck, lol, it's McDavid and Draisaitl passing back and forth to each other for like 30 seconds at a time.

Shoot first player has a better chance of doing well given the Oilers make up (3 pass first centers).

Some players just don't fit on certain teams.

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
LOL Calgary.

getting swept by Mackinnon in the 1st round (i know it was 5 games but still..) and their upgrades this off season is Lucic and Talbot! :laugh:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Well. You know a signing didn't exactly go as planned when a year later that player turns into Milan Lucic.

If it's less than 1.5M retained on Looch then i think it's another mistake for the Flames. If it's around that though and helps them to free up enough cap to sign their RFA's then i understand it.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I have to apologize to Oilers fans. I said for weeks Lucic is untradeable and our dumb GM proved me wrong.

This truly is the darkest timeline to be a Flames fan.

Your going to get the same production but have a mean SOB on the ice for when the other teams try to get payback after Tkuchuk run amok. Its far from a dark day

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
One year removed from an All-Star season is definitely reason to believe he can do better.

Maybe not but to act like it's an impossibility is silly. Dude has played with guys like Malkin before, he'll be able to read off McDavid and get plenty of oppurtunities plus first unit PP time.

There's no one on the Oilers PP that shoots the damn puck, lol, it's McDavid and Draisaitl passing back and forth to each other for like 30 seconds at a time.

Shoot first player has a better chance of doing well given the Oilers make up (3 pass first centers).

Some players just don't fit on certain teams.

Saying Neal has played well with Malkin is just like saying Lucic played well with Krejci. Neither of these guys are who they were 5 years ago. Definitely be thrilled about moving Lucic but don't get too excited about Neal bouncing back

Hitemwith4

Jul 1, 2019
Why Why Why CGY ??????

At leas this will stop the Lucic threads

Good for Edm didn't think anyone would take Lucic / his contract

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
FDC78754-0BE5-4E7A-AC3D-8CE73339F49E.gif

I cannot believe this has actually happened. What are the brass in Calgary thinking???????

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Hits and fights matter when the person I am debating specifically stated Lucic dont hit and fight no more...

Well the "hits" he throws are nothing because of how terrible slow they are so they have zero impact and he rarely has fights that aren't him throwing cheap shots at smaller guys.

He is a bitch that thinks if he acts like a goof people will be scared of him when they just laugh at what a joke he is.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Saying Neal has played well with Malkin is just like saying Lucic played well with Krejci. Neither of these guys are who they were 5 years ago. Definitely be thrilled about moving Lucic but don't get too excited about Neal bouncing back

Yeah but Neal was doing well a year ago without Malkin and making the All-Star team still. There's a big difference in playing style here, Lucic's just didn't work with any of the Oilers, you can't play with McDavid or Draisaitl or RNH if you can't shoot the puck.

He's never really had a great shot. Chiarelli was an idiot for signing that deal in the first place, he's not the type of player that would play well with McDavid and he promptly got outplayed by Patrick Maroon in that role.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Neals puck handling is not better than Lucic's at this point though.

Getting rid of Lucic's contract is a win for the Oilers but effectively paying Neal 6.35m for the exact same on ice impact isn't something to be proud of
I dunno, as an Oiler fan I'm glad I don't have to watch the following patented Lucic plays anymore:

1. The "skate into the corner in the offensive zone with the puck trying to protect it and buy time, but have it poked away by a better player"

2. The "receive a pass in the defensive zone along the boards and fumble with the puck trying to accelerate and make a play, leading to a dangerous turnover high in the defensive zone"

3. The "receive a pass in pretty decent shooting position in the offensive zone and cradle the puck trying for a perfect shot, only to have the shot get blocked, miss the net badly, or shoot it into the goalie's crest"

4. The "dump the puck in and try to forecheck but being so slow that by the time he reaches the opposition defender for the hit, the puck is already halfway out of the zone already"

5. The "try to accelerate with the puck in the neutral zone with a pretty decent lead on his back checker, but get caught from behind and not having any hands to make any sort of play on the puck"

And my personal favourite:

6. The "screw up a offensive or defensive play so badly that he should be embarrassed, so he skates off the ice looking pissed off and mopey"

Reactions: NinjaKick

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Fair enough. IMO Neal is just as brutal a contract, its just that Lucic and the Oilers are very polarizing on this board.

Nobody really cares enough about the Flames to crap on them about Neal ( no offense).
True, but Neal's contract can be bought out while Lucic cannot, and at least he is one season removed from a 20 goal season. At this point Lucic has had 2 abysmal seasons in a row so I doubt he'll bounce back. Neal I'll reserve judgement on until I see him have a 2nd bad season in a row. If he does then you can buy him out or you give up assets to move an easier to move contract.

Reactions: Dr Awesome

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I dunno, as an Oiler fan I'm glad I don't have to watch the following patented Lucic plays anymore:

1. The "skate into the corner in the offensive zone with the puck trying to protect it and buy time, but have it poked away by a better player"

2. The "receive a pass in the defensive zone along the boards and fumble with the puck trying to accelerate and make a play, leading to a dangerous turnover high in the defensive zone"

3. The "receive a pass in pretty decent shooting position in the offensive zone and cradle the puck trying for a perfect shot, only to have the shot get blocked, miss the net badly, or shoot it into the goalie's crest"

4. The "dump the puck in and try to forecheck but being so slow that by the time he reaches the opposition defender for the hit, the puck is already halfway out of the zone already"

And my personal favourite:

5. The "screw up a offensive or defensive play so badly that he should be embarrassed, so he skates off the ice looking pissed off and mopey"

You're still going to see those exact same things sadly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad