Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] D Mark Pysyk signs with the Flames (1 year, $775k, two-way); placed on waivers (cleared)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
He was apparently so bad in the AHL that the Penguins AHL team released him. Good for him to get a NHL deal but the dude looks cooked after these injuries.
Was just going to say the same. Seems like an odd signings truthfully.

I wish him luck though.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Was just going to say the same. Seems like an odd signings truthfully.

I wish him luck though.
after recalling Solovyov and Oesterle, we were down to only 4 AHL caliber defensemen in the AHL and had recalled 3 guys from the ECHL

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
after recalling Solovyov and Oesterle, we were down to only 4 AHL caliber defensemen in the AHL and had recalled 3 guys from the ECHL
And I assume you are trying to trade Tanev as well.

I'd love to figure out a way to send PO Joseph to you guys for Dube.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
And I assume you are trying to trade Tanev as well.

I'd love to figure out a way to send PO Joseph to you guys for Dube.
I don't think we are trying to trade Tanev right now, I think you don't see that happen until mid-January, and Hanifin will probably be moved towards the deadline too. Who knows, maybe Kylington too.

I think Pysyk is definitely insurance if we don't get roster defensemen back in deadline deals. Also I think they want the Wranglers to have success since the team is mostly prospects and them winning would be great for their development, but they are down 3 of their top 4 defensemen in the AHL (1 injured, 2 recalled).

Reactions: SEALBound

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Depth move for sure to help with the present but it also suggests more moves are coming

Definitely feels like putting more pieces in place to help backfill potential future moves off the NHL roster, if there isn't an NHL D coming back in return.

Pysyk isn't any good, but he's a pro who has experience and you can just throw him out there and let him drown in minutes without feeling to bad about it or derailing some prospect's trajectory. If Calgary reaches the point where they're jettisoning Tanev and Hanifin as well, they'll need something like that. Though it's also entirely plausible they end up having to take back a salary offset defenceman in the deal anyway. But something like this postures them to be flexible in how they deal comes together, if someone walks in and shops without sending some dead money back, as Vancouver did with the Zadorov trade.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
This is a good move. Zadorov has been dealt, and Hanifin and/or Tanev are likely to be traded at some point later this season, and probably closer to the deadline I would assume. On top of this, Poirier is out long-term with an injury (bad cut). This gives some time for the Flames and Pysk to see if he can get his career back on track, and help shoulder the load for the young players on the Wranglers, or even step back into the NHL at some point.

Hopefully this works out so that the Flames get that depth that they will probably need in the 2nd half of this season, and Pysk gets the patience and opportunity of bouncing back from that injury and very long lay-off. It will be a feel-good story if t works out anyway, so I am keeping my fingers crossed for him.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Pure depth move for the AHL. Wranglers have some injuries on the blueline and the Flames have called up a couple of people.

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
Isn’t this that dude who the panthers chose to give up Smith and last years smythe winner in order to protect? He must be really. good amazing contract

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
I would assume that he is an emergency plan. If they trade Hanifin and Tanev they will probably be trying out a few defence prospects, if they don't work out (or if there are injuries) they can call up Pysyk. In the meantime, as others have said, the Wranglers can use him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad