Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] D Joni Jurmo signs ELC with the Flames (2 years, $850k AAV; begins 2024-25)

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Pretty surprising, but if the Flames targeted him in the trade then there's no reason why he wouldn't have gotten a deal. Flames must see something in him but I don't think any Canucks fan thought he was getting a contract.

I believe someone on the Canucks board proposed switching Jurmo to wing given his size and speed... I would like to see Calgary try that.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Gotta love Vancouver fans hating on a former prospect. Keep coping.
Lol not a Vancouver fan. Just someone who has actually watched him play.

He has zero hockey iq when to pass the puck instead of mindlessly trying to skate it from end to end.

He played for 4 Finnish teams already and failed to do anything meaningfull in with any of them. 168 games in Liiga with 28 points for an "offensive" d-man should tell enough.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
Lol not a Vancouver fan. Just someone who has actually watched him play.

He has zero hockey iq when to pass the puck instead of mindlessly trying to skate it from end to end.

He played for 4 Finnish teams already and failed to do anything meaningfull in with any of them. 168 games in Liiga with 28 points for an "offensive" d-man should tell enough.

That's basically what every reporter who follows Canucks prospects have been saying since he was drafted.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Literally no Canuck fans thought anything of Jurmo when he was a Canuck prospect and it was just assumed that we would relinquish his rights this summer.

I hope he does well but he’s a fringe player in the Liiga in his draft +4 and I’m pretty surprised an NHL team is using a contract slot on him.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Jurmo was drafted 4 years ago and it would be hard to find him ranked in the top-10 of any Canucks prospect lists since the day he was drafted, and these would be lists where Canucks fans would be speaking of their prospects in their most-favourable lights.
He was a throw-in and the Canucks were not going to offer him a contract.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
As a Canuck fan Im cheering for him as he has a lot of physical tools (which is what got him drafted) however he handles the puck like a grenade as an offensive d man. He is the ECHL or Finnish league version of a poor mans Sbisa.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I mean dude will likely be 8 or 9 on the Wranglers depth chart next year and likely to be in the ECHL, it was a coinflip as to whether or not we'd sign him. I'm guessing we like some of his tools and think there is a chance we can bring something out of him

His tools are tantalizing. Huge and skates very well in a straight line. Occasionally puts it all together for a shift but those have been few and far between. Unfortunately he hasn't shown any ability to play defence. A few posters have wondered if she have been converted to forward. There might be something to him as a bottom-6 grinder.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
A freebie and organizational depth as they say. The Wranglers will need young players to fill out their roster next season.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Pretty surprising, but if the Flames targeted him in the trade then there's no reason why he wouldn't have gotten a deal. Flames must see something in him but I don't think any Canucks fan thought he was getting a contract.

I believe someone on the Canucks board proposed switching Jurmo to wing given his size and speed... I would like to see Calgary try that.
This may just happen as the Wranglers are dressing 7 D right now with one (Aspirot) playing Wing
Not sure if I like Asp sitting for Jurmo, but they'll have to see what he has and if he's even AHL quality.
Next few weeks will tell.

I wonder if he can't crack a deep AHL lineup next year if he heads back to Finland or takes n ECHL spot?

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
Jurmo was drafted 4 years ago and it would be hard to find him ranked in the top-10 of any Canucks prospect lists since the day he was drafted, and these would be lists where Canucks fans would be speaking of their prospects in their most-favourable lights.
He was a throw-in and the Canucks were not going to offer him a contract.

He wasn't even their 10th best defenseman prospect.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
The comments in this thread sum it up pretty well. Jurmo has a mountain to climb, and I am doubtful of even his upcoming AHL performance.

When I look at Jurmo I do kind of compare him to another big late-blooming finnish defenseman Valtteri Pulli playing in AHL for San Jose. If Pulli has a long road still ahead of him with the strides he has taken already, how long is the road for Jurmo? Valtteri Pulli made his Liiga breakthrough and was a good defensive defenseman his last season at 22yo. Jurmo is a fringe Liiga player at 21yo. It's going to be really hard for him.

The critique of the signing is, in my opinion warranted.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I don't see him as an NHL player either. Conroy is a pretty strong talent evaluator though. He must think there is a shot at him making a big progression. I don't see it myself, but I've only watched clips of him so my opinion isn't worth much.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00