Proposal: CGY/CLB

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
THIS is the deal that finally gets CBJ fans to say yes.

:sarcasm:

How about

CGY- Sam Bennett
ARI- Christian Fischer + 4th

Both players need a change of scenery.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
The current CBJ team have a need for an upgrade at 2C. How does Sam Bennett or the 4th help this. Anderson can be traded but this isn't it for me.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I just don’t see why you believe he is a legend in the making like a Howe, Esposito, Hull, Jagar etc I see him being worth a Kasperi Kappanen tops.
Given that I don't believe that, I can easily understand why you would have trouble seeing that. ;)

There's two things in play here.

Anderson, when he's actually functional (as he has been in the past), is a goal-scoring speedy True Power Forward. That's something pretty special. Not Hall of Fame special like you're insinuating, but he'd definitely be a key weapon a team could use. We're a bit short on offensive weapons, so if we can get and keep that we would love to do so. So we're not really prepared to "sell at all costs" or automatically take the highest bid.

Following from that... this team has one significant hole that might be plausibly addressed through trades, and that's the #2C position. We have a lot of "fair-to-middlin'" types like Wennberg and Jenner, and Foligno can serve as that in a pinch as well. We've got prospects with some promise like Texier and Foudy. We've even got the fourth line covered with guys like Nash and Stenlund (and Shore if we keep him, which we probably won't). We do not have a legit #2C, though. Nobody right behind PLD. So that's our trade target in, frankly, pretty much any scenario. (Obviously if star forwards get involved the considerations change, but folks generally aren't making those proposals. And there's enough depth LDs on the team that we might consider picks for LD depth proposals, but that's completely unrelated to Andy.)

Therefore, general consensus for us is that unless we get that #2C hole filled in a trade, it makes more sense for us to just hang on to Anderson and hope he bounces back. We're not going to be able to trade him for such an asset straight up after his disaster injury season (not unless we get really lucky and some other GM proves rather foolish), and the sorts of assets folks would want to offer are 1) things that don't help and that we already have a ton of (such as the Kapanen suggestion you made just now - we've got several good scoring RWs already), or 2) other gambles that haven't displayed as much as Andy has (such as the OP's Bennett proposal).

The reason why such hostility and fatalism comes from Jackets fans about this subject is that, despite reiterating this many many many many times over, we still keep getting proposal after proposal after proposal that kind of blithely ignores this, and that has a tendency to get old and annoying.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Everybody wants this to be a "Buy Low" moment on Josh Anderson, because he represents such a rare commodity as a player type. But that's also pretty much why Columbus can't possibly trade him at his current risk-perceived face value. I can see how there is always going to be a fundamental impasse in these scenarios. It might be different if Anderson had contract issues in play. But it just seems to me like coming off his injury-plagued season he also doesn't have a lot of leverage contractually that could lead to a stalemate. That's probably where things have to start, though. If he takes a stand looking for big money and Columbus won't accept that, then maybe that opens the door more to trade scenarios like this one? :dunno:

I do like Sam Bennett too though... send him to Nashville, svp. We don't have a valid trade scenario to consider, but I'm not undervaluing him in this. I like his grit and would value him in a middle-6 role with a change of scenery. Just he's still not as rare or valuable as the prime-time healthy Anderson.

Reactions: Viqsi

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Keeping ya in check. lol

you obviously understand that the CBJ wouldn’t sell low like that. Right??
:thumbu:

Yeah I think as others have outlined Columbus are probably best off keeping him. That said, they might have no choice but to move him though if Anderson insists on a 1 year 'prove it' contract that would take him straight to UFA in 2021 as a 27 year old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad