Proposal: CGY - CBJ

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
How does he fit our D perfectly? Our left side depth is Werenski-Provorov-Bean-Mateychuk-Svozil. Right side is Boqvist-Severson-Gudbranson-Jiricek-Peeke. If people dont see a bigger need on the right then left then I dont know what to say. Jiricek has bigger potential than Hanifan and bigger upside to the Columbus D as a whole. Jiricek is still just 20 and still developing physically, we are not worried about him

Aren’t there rumours that CBJ wants to move on from Provorov? That opens up a slot on the left side

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Aren’t there rumours that CBJ wants to move on from Provorov? That opens up a slot on the left side
They are listening which I am cool with. But even so Id say if they do move on they just need a stop gap guy until Mateychuk is ready to play 2nd pair minutes which honestly many Columbus fans expected Provorov to be from day 1. Mateychuk has easy top 4 upside, they just need someone to buy time, not another 8 year contract

Reactions: cslebn

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
They are listening which I am cool with. But even so Id say if they do move on they just need a stop gap guy until Mateychuk is ready to play 2nd pair minutes which honestly many Columbus fans expected Provorov to be from day 1. Mateychuk has easy top 4 upside, they just need someone to buy time, not another 8 year contract
I don't think they need a guy at all if they move on from Provorov. They have 2 high end young D coming. Make a spot for them.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space

Fair enough, tbh looking at CBJ roster I'm surprised you guys aren't doing better. The east must be a bloodbath

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I don't think they need a guy at all if they move on from Provorov. They have 2 high end young D coming. Make a spot for them.
Thats been part of their issue, they need to stop making room for guys until they take it

Fair enough, tbh looking at CBJ roster I'm surprised you guys aren't doing better. The east must be a bloodbath
Just a young team that makes young team mistakes. They look like a solid team for 40 minutes and then look like kids in the 3rd. Its an ugly part of the process but hopefully are better for it someday

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Lol relax. Jiricek hasn't even played half a season at the NHL level. Hanifin is 27 and will age well into his mid 30's as his playstyle isn't demanding on his body (IE Tanev).

8x8 is fine market value for a #2 dman in his prime especially with the cap going up.

Columbus needs to get out of their perpetual rebuild, they're yo-yoing Jiricek, Hanifin fits their d-core perfectly.

Flames are heading in a new direction. They're taking the bigger risk here.
The flames are ripping Columbus face off is what that trash offer is. Hanafin is a UFA in a few months. He’s so decent player. Low end number 2. $8mm is a contract that won’t age well on him. Nor where Columbus finds itself today.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Is Hanifin looking for an 8x8 deal!? Or was that just an example from OP?

Jiricek will not be in the deal, regardless of who it is.

Ceulemans could be had, probably Boqvist too.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
The flames are ripping Columbus face off is what that trash offer is. Hanafin is a UFA in a few months. He’s so decent player. Low end number 2. $8mm is a contract that won’t age well on him. Nor where Columbus finds itself today.
He's a high end 2. He's a #1 on more than 10 teams in the league including Calgary. He's got pretty much identical advanced stats to Toews playing on a much worse team.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
He's a high end 2. He's a #1 on more than 10 teams in the league including Calgary. He's got pretty much identical advanced stats to Toews playing on a much worse team.
But critically, Columbus is one of those 10 or so teams. The only thing keeping Werenski out of the conversation of true 1D in the league is his frequent freak injuries, and he and Hanifin play the exact same position.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
But critically, Columbus is one of those 10 or so teams. The only thing keeping Werenski out of the conversation of true 1D in the league is his frequent freak injuries, and he and Hanifin play the exact same position.
I've said I don't think Columbus should acquire him. I was talking to the Avs fan who said Hanifin is a so so defenseman.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I like Hanifin and thought he would be a good fit in the off season last year. They decided to go the short term, yet some control route, in Provorov. That allows the younger players to develop and Provo is also young enough that he could be extended. I don't like Hanifin at this point to move a player like Jiricek. That would be a really bad deal for the CBJ. Jiricek on the right side will be a staple for years to come and has the potential to be a 1D for a very long time. He's cost controlled and still only 20. Not seeing any move for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad