Proposal: CGY - CBJ

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
You already know the answer.
1707001739808.gif

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I've always been low on Hanifan, always came across as someone who can fill in higher in the lineup but not exceed the role. Also his contract status... no thanks as anything but a rental and he's the type of player I'd want to start the season with not someone I'd want to plug into a contender's d.

Jiricek has a ton of 1D potential.

Flames would rob Columbus with this trade.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I've always been low on Hanifan, always came across as someone who can fill in higher in the lineup but not exceed the role. Also his contract status... no thanks as anything but a rental and he's the type of player I'd want to start the season with not someone I'd want to plug into a contender's d.
Yeah, I actually like Hanifin, but I think we've already recently picked up someone very much like him... who, by wonderous happenstance, also came from the same draft class, and is on a much better deal (from our perspective after retention).

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Calgary sure could show them a thing or 2 about being a winner eh?
All while talking down to a team when Calgary is constantly in no mans land. Not good enough to win and wont bottom out to draft high. Interesting choice to take swings at other teams

Gaudreau won more playoff series when he was with the Flames than the Jackets have in their entire existence.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Gaudreau won more playoff series when he was with the Flames than the Jackets have in their entire existence.
Cool, didnt amount to much and now Calgary is back in no mans land. Doesnt really seem like a position to be throwing shade from. As frustrating as it is to be in atleast Columbus bottomed out and got high picks to build a foundation

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Cool, didnt amount to much and now Calgary is back in no mans land. Doesnt really seem like a position to be throwing shade from. As frustrating as it is to be in atleast Columbus bottomed out and got high picks to build a foundation

They've been bottoming out for well over 10 years.

Johansen was 4th overall in 2010.
Murray was drafted 2nd overall in 2012.
Werenski 8th in 2015.
Dubois 3rd in 2016.

Vorecek, Filatov, Brassard, Brule, Nash it goes on and on.
Picking high in the draft isn't a guarantee of anything. Eventually you have to ice a team that is expected to make the playoffs.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Jiricek might never be as good as Hanifin, but that's not really the issue for Columbus right now. A $64 million defenseman doesn't seem like the priority at this stage.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
These threads are all the same. We want your top prospect/glue player/etc for this overpaid player or collection of magic beans.

What you don't want to do that? Well your team sucks, always has and always will.

It's like people on HF think GMs try to force each other in each trade rather than negotiating for something both sides want.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

Werenski 8th in 2015.
Dubois 3rd in 2016.

Picking high in the draft isn't a guarantee of anything. Eventually you have to ice a team that is expected to make the playoffs.
Columbus has the same playoff appearances as Calgary in the last decade and 1 less series win, neither has bragging rights.

So while both team had to sell off some players they didnt want to atleast Columbus did so and got guys like Fantilli/Jiricek/Johnson/Mateychuk in the organization

Last edited:

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB

Werenski 8th in 2015.
Dubois 3rd in 2016.

Flames have been below average for 35 years. I should know I’ve been a fan all that time. I would take the young Blue Jackets roster over ours any day. They have elite centre prospects and D. Wolf is our best hope for an elite player.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

Jiricek has a ton of 1D potential.

Flames would rob Columbus with this trade.
Hanifin is a lot better than you think. But yes, you don't move Jiricek for him. Hanifin is a top 10ish defensive D man while also being about to put up 40-50 points. He's a damn fine player.

Flames have been below average for 35 years. I should know I’ve been a fan all that time. I would take the young Blue Jackets roster over ours any day. They have elite centre prospects and D. Wolf is our best hope for an elite player.
Wolf is probably the only player who has a good chance of being an elite player. I'd trade rosters with them too. It's the veteran part of their roster that's a terrible hodge podge. It was so stupid signing Gaudreau with no one for him to play with except Laine who also can't get a puck out of his own end. Then the Provorov move? So dumb.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Hanifin is a lot better than you think. But yes, you don't move Jiricek for him. Hanifin is a top 10ish defensive D man while also being about to put up 40-50 points. He's a damn fine player.

Wolf is probably the only player who has a good chance of being an elite player. I'd trade rosters with them too. It's the veteran part of their roster that's a terrible hodge podge. It was so stupid signing Gaudreau with no one for him to play with except Laine who also can't get a puck out of his own end. Then the Provorov move? So dumb.
Gaudreau was awkward timing but most teams in that position do the same even moreso in Columbus and the whole noone will sign/resign there. NY with Panarin after writing a letter to their fans was similar awkward timing but they jumped at the oppurtunity when it presented itself. Luckily Columbus sucked more than Jarmo expected and we still got Fantilli who Gaudreau may thrive with after a bit more development time. The vet part is a major issue and why many Columbus fans push back at the trading Jenner idea

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Hanifin (extended 8x8M)

For
David Jiricek
2024 2nd
That is so horrible for Columbus. Trade away good young defender to sign a so - so older one to a very regrettable contract.

And Columbus adds a high pick? This is one of the worst value OPs I’ve ever seen on this site.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
That is so horrible for Columbus. Trade away food young defender to sign a so - so older one to a very regrettable contract.

And Columbus adds a high pick? This is one of the worst value OPs I’ve ever seen on this site.

Lol relax. Jiricek hasn't even played half a season at the NHL level. Hanifin is 27 and will age well into his mid 30's as his playstyle isn't demanding on his body (IE Tanev).

8x8 is fine market value for a #2 dman in his prime especially with the cap going up.

Columbus needs to get out of their perpetual rebuild, they're yo-yoing Jiricek, Hanifin fits their d-core perfectly.

Flames are heading in a new direction. They're taking the bigger risk here.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
That is so horrible for Columbus. Trade away food young defender to sign a so - so older one to a very regrettable contract.

It's a bad deal for Columbus, but Hanifin is our best defenseman on a team with 2 other #2 guys. Hanifin is not a so-so defenseman. He's one of the best pure defenders in the league and also scores 40-50 points. He can play whatever minutes you need him to.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Lol relax. Jiricek hasn't even played half a season at the NHL level. Hanifin is 27 and will age well into his mid 30's as his playstyle isn't demanding on his body (IE Tanev).

8x8 is fine market value for a #2/3 dman in his prime especially with the cap going up.

Columbus needs to get out of their perpetual rebuild, they're yo-yoing Jiricek, Hanifin fits their d-core perfectly.

Flames are heading in a new direction. They're taking the bigger risk here.
How does he fit our D perfectly? Our left side depth is Werenski-Provorov-Bean-Mateychuk-Svozil. Right side is Boqvist-Severson-Gudbranson-Jiricek-Peeke. If people dont see a bigger need on the right then left then I dont know what to say. Jiricek has bigger potential than Hanifan and bigger upside to the Columbus D as a whole. Jiricek is still just 20 and still developing physically, we are not worried about him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad