Proposal: CGY-BUF

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
You may but in reality, there is really not much difference between Reinhart and Monahan

neither has capability to help their current club and have similar production

Note, I am not saying Buffalo should do the deal. Just value

I agree that Monahan / Reinhart have similar value in a vacuum.

The thing is - if we're trading Reinhart it is very likely for the following reasons:

- we are extending Hall & cannot also fit Reinhart in to the long term cap landscape

- we are hitting the reset button & building around a 'new' core of Dahlin/Cozens/Quinn etc.

Monahan is neither younger or much cheaper than an extended Reinhart.

Reactions: DFF

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

The thing is - if we're trading Reinhart it is very likely for the following reasons:

- we are extending Hall & cannot also fit Reinhart in to the long term cap landscape

- we are hitting the reset button & building around a 'new' core of Dahlin/Cozens/Quinn etc.

No problem. I agreed

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Fair, we couldn't trade our first this year cause it very well could be a top-10 pick but would u do Monahan+2nd for Reinhart+Middlestat

no sorry. Getting Bennett's energy on the team is more important to me if I'm building the future sabres roster. I think Sam has more value than Monahan but that value is offset by the center vs wing debate.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013

I mean I feel like the purpose of this trade is for the reset button and keeping Eichel. Build around Eichel/Dahlin/Cozens and you guys are stuck with Skinner is what I would do. Trade Hall at the deadline for some good futures and depth pieces and get Monahan and Bennett to be 2C and 3C behind until Cozens is ready and then look for wingers and dmen. I really don't think it's that crazy if Buffalo continues to struggle. Who else is gonna bring back prime top-6 forward and another top-9 forward other than moving your 1st or Eichel?

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
no sorry. Getting Bennett's energy on the team is more important to me if I'm building the future sabres roster. I think Sam has more value than Monahan but that value is offset by the center vs wing debate.
Thats fair. Monahan and Bennett for Reinhart and Middlestat?

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I mean I feel like the purpose of this trade is for the reset button and keeping Eichel. Build around Eichel/Dahlin/Cozens and you guys are stuck with Skinner is what I would do. Trade Hall at the deadline for some good futures and depth pieces and get Monahan and Bennett to be 2C and 3C behind until Cozens is ready and then look for wingers and dmen. I really don't think it's that crazy if Buffalo continues to struggle. Who else is gonna bring back prime top-6 forward and another top-9 forward other than moving your 1st or Eichel?

If we are trading Hall then it is a no brainer for us to extend Reinhart & make him part of that core. There is enough cap room even with Skinner. Just not enough room for BOTH Hall & Reinhart.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Thats fair. Monahan and Bennett for Reinhart and Middlestat?

I'd still want a 2nd going my way but at the end of the day it's not a bad offer at all. It's one of those I dont wanna do it but should moves. the reason I ask for the pick is because Mitts might unleash his potential and make this trade lopsided whereas Bennett is likely the guy he is at this point (which is a player I like but he's a 3rd liner lets be honest)

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
If we are trading Hall then it is a no brainer for us to extend Reinhart & make him part of that core. There is enough cap room even with Skinner. Just not enough room for BOTH Hall & Reinhart.
I feel like Reinhart is not gonna wanna sign long-term in Buffalo this off-season based on everything going on with the team honestly. I guess I could be wrong but I definitely don't see him taking a discount either, very unlikely you're going to get him at anything under like 7.5 if he even agrees to a long-term deal. And then you can't make additions anywhere else

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
I'd still want a 2nd going my way but at the end of the day it's not a bad offer at all. It's one of those I dont wanna do it but should moves. the reason I ask for the pick is because Mitts might unleash his potential and make this trade lopsided whereas Bennett is likely the guy he is at this point (which is a player I like but he's a 3rd liner lets be honest)
Ya thats fair I would probably do a 3rd. Don't think I could do a 2nd with the expansion draft and knowing we're likely gonna have to expose Bennett/Middlestat anyway

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I feel like Reinhart is not gonna wanna sign long-term in Buffalo this off-season based on everything going on with the team honestly. I guess I could be wrong but I definitely don't see him taking a discount either, very unlikely you're going to get him at anything under like 7.5 if he even agrees to a long-term deal. And then you can't make additions anywhere else

Your projection of 7.5m/per is about where i am at. So adding Monahan doesn't really save a lot.

Cozens looks like the real deal. We arent as desperate for a future 2C as we probably were a year ago.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Ya thats fair I would probably do a 3rd. Don't think I could do a 2nd with the expansion draft and knowing we're likely gonna have to expose Bennett/Middlestat anyway
damn expansion draft! As i wear my Kraken hat lol. Cheers for the good talk, we are close! Maybe our GM's make one of us look dumb anyways....

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
There's really only 3-4 possible reasons that Buffalo would consider moving Reinhart, one of their few bright spots.
1) They feel this is his peak value and don't consider him a core piece moving forward.
2) He wants out and will not sign longterm
3) They're gearing up for a full scale rebuild, moving lesser players before a huge Eichel trade in the offseason
4) They've decided to give Hall his money, in which case you have to continue to question the Sabres management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad