RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
To BUF:
Sean Monahan
Milan Lucic

To CGY:
2020 1st (BUF)
Casey Middlestat

If Buffalo needs to send cap back the Flames could take on Colin Miller or different medium cap dump

The Flames lose Monahan but have the opportunity to seriously pursue one of Hall or Krug or a big name-RFA this offseason in addition to getting a great prospect in the 7-10 range

Buffalo gets their legit 2C locked in at a good contract without giving up a key roster player

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Can you please explain the logic behind this. Seems to me like Calgary is getting taken out back here. Even though they threw a cap dump in, they lose a top line centre and get a draft pick and a 3c back.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Lucic makes this a complete non-starter for Buffalo. Contrary to popular belief they aren't swimming in cap space. Especially once you figure in deals for Reinhart, Montour, etc. I'm also not sure Calgary is the type of team to trade a good young player like that for a draft pick and a prospect. They'd probably want someone like Reinhart if they even entertained the idea of moving Monahan.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Two bad players, but one on an awful contract.. and the other looking bust-ish but still a little maybe potential in another city.

This deal is really Marco Rossi or Cole Perfetti for Sean Monahan. I'd pass on this if I was Buffalo. Not a good rebuilding move and that Lucic contract is such dog vomit. That Lucic contract is one of those, you break it you buy it deals. He's all your Flames.

Reactions: Unbiased Fan

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Not saying this is a good deal either way, but how long is Buffalo going to be “rebuilding”?

At some point they need to surround Eichel and Dahlin with NHL player support.

I don’t think Calgary is at the stage where they want to tear it all down and trading Monahan would be the start of a rebuild.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
This is another whiff of a post by OP. I don't really understand the logic behind this deal for either team really.

From Calgary's perspective, the cap space is nice, but now we're wasting Giordano's last prime years and traded away Gaudreau's best friend on the team a few years before UFA. MAYBE we'd do it if the pick landed top 3 (BUT now Buffalo doesn't like that). The cap space is nice, but unless we have a great player in mind to sign with that it doesn't do much.

And then from Buffalo's perspective, I don't see it either. They'd be a better team on the ice, but having a high pick that would fit in with their core would probably be more in line with a rebuilding team.

ALSO Lucic isn't waiving his NMC to go to rebuilding Buffalo

Reactions: Nanuuk

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
To get a top 8 pick, a lottery ticket in Mittlestat AND 6.4million in cap space to replace Monahan is too much value to give up for Buffalo.

To ask to move Lucic on top is just silly.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
To get a top 8 pick, a lottery ticket in Mittlestat AND 6.4million in cap space to replace Monahan is too much value to give up for Buffalo.

To ask to move Lucic on top is just silly.
what is this logic, a scratcher ticket with a bunch of whiffs already in Mittlestat, an actual lottery ticket in 8th pick that MAY become monahan, and whatever 6.4m player you sign that is pretty much guaranteed to be worse than monahan, yes.....definitely too much value

Reactions: johnnystormcgy

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
what is this logic, a scratcher ticket with a bunch of whiffs already in Mittlestat, an actual lottery ticket in 8th pick that MAY become monahan, and whatever 6.4m player you sign that is pretty much guaranteed to be worse than monahan, yes.....definitely too much value

It is too much value. If you view pick 8 as a lottery ticket in this draft then you should fire your gm for poor picking.

If your goal is to all in this year to win and pass on picks that is fine.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Monahan for Mittle, 1st in 2020
You gain 6.4m either on playing 2/3 Hall deal
or say Hoffman or Barrie in FA
You decide
picks 7 2010-2015(going 5 years plus to see what they turned out to be)
10-Skinner
11-Scheifele
12- Dumba
13--Nurse
14-H Fluery
15-Provorov

pick 8 2010-2015
10-bermistrov
11- Couturier
12-Pouliot
13-Risto
14 m Nylander
15 Werenski

If Sabers dropped to 9 in maybe 8 player draft its a harder decision.

including cap space for 6m player or 2/3 of hall
Flames win Skinner Schiefele, Dumba, Provorov, Couts,
M Nylander, Werenski
tie Risto, Nurse and 6.4 cap space
lose Fluery, Pouliot, Bermistrov

pick 7-8 is not a lottery ticket. just a lazy take to call it a lottery ticket.

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Monahan for Mittle, 1st in 2020
You gain 6.4m either on playing 2/3 Hall deal
or say Hoffman or Barrie in FA
You decide
picks 7 2010-2015(going 5 years plus to see what they turned out to be)
10-Skinner
11-Scheifele
12- Dumba
13--Nurse
14-H Fluery
15-Provorov

pick 8 2010-2015
10-bermistrov
11- Couturier
12-Pouliot
13-Risto
14 m Nylander
15 Werenski

If Sabers dropped to 9 in maybe 8 player draft its a harder decision.

including cap space for 6m player or 2/3 of hall
Flames win Skinner Schiefele, Dumba, Provorov, Couts,
M Nylander, Werenski
tie Risto, Nurse and 6.4 cap space
lose Fluery, Pouliot, Bermistrov

pick 7-8 is not a lottery ticket. just a lazy take to call it a lottery ticket.
How do you come up with this logic??? Let's just move the cap space to the best player in free agency?? Oh I can say you use it to get backes, ladd, Lucic?? How does Monahan at 6 moved to hall at 9?? Better player but 3 mill out of thin air?? 8-10 picks are absolutely lottery tickets, yes you have a good chance you get a good player, but there's also chance of busts, obvs smaller the higher you pick but still. Of the 12 players you listed, literally only 2-4 you can come up and say it's a better player than monahan. So my point stands, it MAY become another Monahan. I dont really care for mitts he's a reclaimation project and doesn't add enough in a deal for Monahan. Staal was 8th, Sutter (who was more accomplished than mitts at that point, mitts has higher potential but fading fast) and a decent prospect in dumoulin AND spend 7mill to sign staal so there's your cap space argument too. Monahan is also a better player than staal. So saying 8th pick with maybe a 50% chance of being as good as Monahan and a reclaimation project for Monahan is insane

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
How do you come up with this logic??? Let's just move the cap space to the best player in free agency?? Oh I can say you use it to get backes, ladd, Lucic?? How does Monahan at 6 moved to hall at 9?? Better player but 3 mill out of thin air?? 8-10 picks are absolutely lottery tickets, yes you have a good chance you get a good player, but there's also chance of busts, obvs smaller the higher you pick but still. Of the 12 players you listed, literally only 2-4 you can come up and say it's a better player than monahan. So my point stands, it MAY become another Monahan. I dont really care for mitts he's a reclaimation project and doesn't add enough in a deal for Monahan. Staal was 8th, Sutter (who was more accomplished than mitts at that point, mitts has higher potential but fading fast) and a decent prospect in dumoulin AND spend 7mill to sign staal so there's your cap space argument too. Monahan is also a better player than staal. So saying 8th pick with maybe a 50% chance of being as good as Monahan and a reclaimation project for Monahan is insane

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/flames
If you think Calgary gm is a buffoon and will pick wrong free agent and pick wrong guys I can't help you there. But if you make the right decisions then Calgary absolutely can get better.

Calgary is at 64.6m with 13 players signed. If you keep one d-man(or sign different one) at say 4mish. That is 68.5m 14 players signed. There is no shot without subtracting players off the roster you can add Hall(or Holtby for that matter)! Now 62.5m with 13 players I CAN GET TO HALL! Sure you might have to move a middle 6 forward but you can get there. Is the math really that difficult? You can't see how 6.375m get you closer to 9m?

I gave you picks 7-8 and Buffalo as of today is 7. If you want to ignore facts and cry lottery ticket i can't help you.

Scared money don't make money[/QUOTE]

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/flames
If you think Calgary gm is a buffoon and will pick wrong free agent and pick wrong guys I can't help you there. But if you make the right decisions then Calgary absolutely can get better.

Calgary is at 64.6m with 13 players signed. If you keep one d-man(or sign different one) at say 4mish. That is 68.5m 14 players signed. There is no shot without subtracting players off the roster you can add Hall(or Holtby for that matter)! Now 62.5m with 13 players I CAN GET TO HALL! Sure you might have to move a middle 6 forward but you can get there. Is the math really that difficult? You can't see how 6.375m get you closer to 9m?

I gave you picks 7-8 and Buffalo as of today is 7. If you want to ignore facts and cry lottery ticket i can't help you.

Scared money don't make money
[/QUOTE]
If you cant understand there's risks involved in trading prime players for pure picks then I can't help you either. When 75% of players you listed are worse than Monahan you damn well sure I'm asking for more on top to compensate for risks and mitts sure ain't it. If your whole argument comes from the 6.4m cap space is sooooo valuable that it's worth dumping our 1st line center for it then I don't know what to say. Yea no **** higher risk higher reward, you want your cap space? Trade Lucic with picks (say 2 1sts) to anyone that will take him, trade Ryan who is a very good 3rd C and lots of team would be interested. There's the space you loved for hall and all it will cost is some picks, will be late anyway since hall improves us soo much. If you love 8th for Monahan then you must love some late 20th picks for hall right.

Dumb decisions don't make money either

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Trade Lucic and give up 2 1's. Its a bold strategy Cotton to try and win without a farm system.

75% of the picks with 6m are better if you spend the cap space correctly. If you don't understand why Hoffman at 5.5m and picking a Nurse like player at 7-8 is more valuable than Monahan I can't help you there.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Trade Lucic and give up 2 1's. Its a bold strategy Cotton to try and win without a farm system.

75% of the picks with 6m are better if you spend the cap space correctly. If you don't understand why Hoffman at 5.5m and picking a Nurse like player at 7-8 is more valuable than Monahan I can't help you there.
Tell me more about trelivings free agent signings that will lead you to think that we will make out like gangbusters in FA. You can probably count with 1 hand how many decent contracts are handed out during ufa each yr.
Also you really think Hoffman with his numbers signs for 5.5m??? Did you see how long it took nurse to become nurse? Even then he's a top 4 defencemen not a bonidfied top pairing guy. So we lose our number 1 center, by magic gets a 1st line wing with that 6.4 mill you save, we still gets worse. prospect that will take a few yrs to develop, JG contracts up, Tkachuk contracts up, Gio ages we contending on what? It's clear we can help each with this, whatever. There's also no way in hell I see nurse+Hoffman> Monahan, but then again I don't like nurse but also then again I don't even like Monahan that much

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Tell me more about trelivings free agent signings that will lead you to think that we will make out like gangbusters in FA. You can probably count with 1 hand how many decent contracts are handed out during ufa each yr.
Also you really think Hoffman with his numbers signs for 5.5m??? Did you see how long it took nurse to become nurse? Even then he's a top 4 defencemen not a bonidfied top pairing guy. So we lose our number 1 center, by magic gets a 1st line wing with that 6.4 mill you save, we still gets worse. prospect that will take a few yrs to develop, JG contracts up, Tkachuk contracts up, Gio ages we contending on what? It's clear we can help each with this, whatever. There's also no way in hell I see nurse+Hoffman> Monahan, but then again I don't like nurse but also then again I don't even like Monahan that much

You really think with the entire NHL in cap hades that Hoffman will make more than 5.5-5.75m? If he get more than 6m give his agent an extra percentage point.

Hall, Krug, and Alex P. will get paid. The rest of the free agent list is going to get interesting quick.

If Monahan to you is worth more than A Nurse(and that was middle rankings of 7th-8th picks) like player and Hoffman we just won't ever agree.

Thanks for convo!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad