Confirmed Trade: [CGY/ARI] Michael Stone at 50% retained FOR 2017 3rd round pick and a 2018 cndl 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Tonight in his Flames debut, Stone played pretty well, moved up to the 2nd pairing with Brodie by the end of the night. He played 16:44, all but 25 seconds was at ES. He also got an assist on the game tying goal.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
He was just OK IMO, as expected he's lost some mobility since the knee surgery but he's getting the job done by having a good IQ for the game, we or whoever signs him will probably get a better player next season as it usually takes about a year to get over a major knee problem.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Thought Stone was ok. Nothing sensational, but he didn't make huge mistakes, which is that the Flames have been getting from their 4-6 guys.

But Bartkowski man. I thought no one could be a downgrade from Wideman, but this guy might be it.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Thanks man. It means a lot.

As for my opinion on Russell, he is a fine 2nd pair defenseman. He is a good puck mover, with a decent shot, a very good penalty killer, and an elite shot blocker. He's by no means perfect though. The advanced stats paint him in a very different light, almost as if he purposely allows shot attempts so he can block them. He is ideally a #4 on a contender, a #3 on an average team.

Russell is a #5 on a contender. I say this having watched him for something like 3 years, he can be a #3 in an adrenaline-fuelled pinch but if you are paying Russell top 4 money you are not getting your money's worth.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I liked Stone's work in the corners.

Just such a gigantic upgrade on Wideman in that regard.

He was solid for Calgary last night. Not great, not bad, but solid.
Played in the #5 role, had an assist, played 17 minutes; had bad possession numbers but that's about it.

Huge upgrade on Wideman. Stone even with a ****ed knee skates better than Wideman.

I like that Calgary can evenly distribute minutes on the top 4D now and have the bottom pairing get 16:30-17:30 in. Jyrki had more than enough games averaging like 12-13 minutes :laugh:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Hainsey gets a 2nd with no retention required.

Chayka looks really bad today.

EDIT: Never mind. There is retention. Still, 2nd vs 3rd for Hainsey vs Stone? Less bad but not great for AZ.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

EDIT: Never mind. There is retention. Still, 2nd vs 3rd for Hainsey vs Stone? Less bad but not great for AZ.

Hainsey's having a much better year.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I'm not saying I'd take Hainsey long term over Stone, but given how they're both playing at the moment and where the picks will likely end up, it isn't that far apart.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com

And like I said, I think Chayka looks good if he specifically traded Stone to Calgary because of his wife's family and their newborn twins.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
And like I said, I think Chayka looks good if he specifically traded Stone to Calgary because of his wife's family and their newborn twins.

Considering his comments after the trade... Don't think this was the case my man.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
^if he's not taken by Vegas, he'll likely try to sign in his hometown of Winnipeg, where they are likely looking to replace the likes of Mark Stuart, Toby Enstrom and perhaps Paul Postma.

Yeah makes a ton of sense with their poor RD depth of Trouba, Myers and Byfuglien...

A player being from a city doesn't automatically make it a top destination for them

^you convinced that Myers is there for the long haul?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

I still believe Arizona did Stone a solid. I think when Calgary came calling they took less in order to allow him and his wife be closer to family with the newborn twins. We've seen it before, like when the Flames moved Stempniak out east so he could be closer to where his wife was staying (she'd also had twins)

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I still believe Arizona did Stone a solid. I think when Calgary came calling they took less in order to allow him and his wife be closer to family with the newborn twins. We've seen it before, like when the Flames moved Stempniak out east so he could be closer to where his wife was staying (she'd also had twins)

Let's face it Calgary will be the likely place for him to re-sign if he's on a "prove it" contract next year. He has supporters in Treliving and Maloney in the Flame organization.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Let's face it Calgary will be the likely place for him to re-sign if he's on a "prove it" contract next year. He has supporters in Treliving and Maloney in the Flame organization.
I hope so, he was one of the summer targets many of us wanted the Flames to go after.

Fire Treliving

Jan 11, 2014
This guy has been a revelation for Calgary.

2G, 3A +7 in 10 games. Flames are 10-0-0 in those games.

Good defensively, great shot.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Glad to see Stone doing well, slightly surprised he got it going so fast due to a bad season after a significant injury, but then when i heard his wife was from the Calgary area and it was a great fit all-around, it made a lot of sense.

That's like the perfect trade you can ever have. From bottom dweller to playoff team AND it's the perfect fit for your family off the ice? Hell yeah.

It's also pretty funny how a #4 defenseman can make a team so much better. But when you have a top 3 like that and the rest are scrubs, it really does.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010

I think Ottawa also makes sense. They are likely to lose a Dman to Vegas, and his brother Mark plays on the Sens. He's be a good fit.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
He's been really good. Like awesome.

If TJ Brodie has one weakness it's that he can struggle stopping the cycle when up against teams like the Ducks, Kings and Blues. But with Stohe he's great at that and he compliments TJ perfectly.

Absolute steal of a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad