CF's Mock Draft

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
1. Chicago Blackhawks - Patrick Kane

Chicago is fortunate to pull the 1st overall selection and take Patrick Kane from the OHL's London Knights. We haven't had such a riser climb to this status in quite a while considering he was essentially off the radar prior to this season, but impressive performance after impressive performance at big tournaments, with and without Gagner saw his stock rise to the point where concerns about his size and level of adaptability to the professional game have all but disappeared. 62 goals in 58 games for London and 9 points and 5 goals in 7 games at the WJC for a fairly decent USA team sealed his status as the concensus pick for the Blackhawks, who will look to Kane to be the American draw that the organization has missed since the days of Amonte and Roenick.

2. Philadelphia Flyers - Kyle Turris

While they missed out on the lottery, the Flyers did not miss out on the player that they wanted. With a late 89 birthday, Turris made the cut for this draft by a few months and the Flyers would have likely taken Turris with the 1st overall regardless if they won the lottery or not. They are that sold on him. Comparisons to Joe Sakic have surrounded this young man after playing for Burnaby in Junior A last season. He will play for Wisconsin next season and will need the time to develop before being brought to the NHL. He isn't quite ready, but at the moment many are convinced that he's going to be the best player in the entire draft when the dust settles.

3. Phoenix Coyotes - James van Riemdyk

After a few questionable picks in the recent past, the Phoenix Coyotes take Vanrimsdyk with the 3rd overall selection. Despite a less than impressive showing at the WJC that could have elevated his status to a first overall selection, James was very impressive in the Five Nations Under 18 tournament and has drawn comparisons to some of the great two way forwards of the game today. Some are concerned about his ability to play up to his competition after playing mostly against under skilled players for the majority of the past few years, but Vanriemdyk has shined so bright that many concerns have been assuaged.

4. Los Angeles Kings - Jakub Voracek

Voracek is another Summer '89 like Turris with a lot of upside and has been regarded as an impact playeer since before the start of the season. Voracek made the adjustment to the North American game look pretty easy with Halifax of the Q this season and was fairly impressive at the WJC which kept his stock in the upper echelon of the best players available. Usually when you're looking at a Top 5 pick from Europe, you're looking at a boom or bust type scenario. Many scouts feel that Voracek is likely the safest pick among the Top 5 selections and will be a player in the league in some capacity regardless of where his development goes from here. The Kings need a player like Voracek to compliment the solid stable of young talent they have and are elated to see him still on the board for the 4th pick.

5. Washington Capitals - Karl Alzner

By merit, it is possible that Cherepanov could go in this slot but Washington is already chock full of Russian talent and needs help on defense in the worst way. Alzner fits the bill in every sense of the word. Alzner had a steady but unspectacular season for the Hitmen last year and plays big minutes in every situation at the WHL level. He isn't going to blow you away with any particular skill but he is a jack of all trades defensive defenseman that could likely contribute in a Top 4 capacity with a team the way that Chris Phillips plays in Ottawa. He averaged playing over half the game for Calgary and should be a steady defenseman at the next level for a long time. Viewed as a very low risk selection, Washington can't walk away from the sure thing after rolling the dice in three consecutive draft years and having good results.

6. Edmonton Oilers - Alexei Cherepanov

There has been a great deal of buzz around Cherepanov after breaking Pavel Bure's RSL record for goals scored by a rookie with 18 this season, but the hype hasn't worked him into the Top 5 at this point. If any other team aside from Washington is picking ahead of Edmonton in this slot, then Cherepanov is likely off the board by the time they pick. Scouts have warned that Alexei lacks consistant effort and has been a bit of an attitude problem, but his performance at the WJC and his record breaking RSL season have made those concerns virtually non-existent. Edmonton has a few high picks and can afford to swing for the fence with this one and Cherepanov could either be the next Stanislav Chistov or the next Pavel Bure. At this point, we simply do not know which player we're going to get.

7. Columbus Blue Jackets - Sam Gagner

Playmaking center Sam Gagner has been all over the place in terms of ranking since this time last season and his emergence as the primary playmaker for Patrick Kane has both helped and hurt his stock in the eyes of some scouts. 81 assists in 53 games is nothing to scoff at, but his 0 points in 6 games at the WJC's hurt him in the sense that many think his high level of production may have been a direct result of playing with such a gifted offensive player in Patrick Kane. Many view Gagner as a Canadian version of Zach Parise for his tenacity in all zones and the Blue Jackets need a player of his caliber to help round out their already impressive young core of forwards. Gagner to Nash could develop into quite an imposing combination considering the playmaking ability that Gagner has shown.

8. Boston Bruins - Keaton Ellerby

This would be the first potential "reach" of the draft by the Boston Bruins. Desperate for a game breaking defenseman they have lacked and thought they were getting in Brad Stuart, Ellerby is the boom or bust defenseman that many have touted as being the next Jay Bouwmeester or Joni Pitkanen. A severe lack of consistancy and progression in his game is what has scared many away from him and the perception that he lacks the mental ability to succeed at the next level is considerably overblown. With that said, there is still a very real possibility that Ellerby does not materialize into the player that some anticipate, thus the falling stock. I still think the Bruins are convinced of his considerable talent and take him off the board. In a few years, we may look back at this pick as the smartest or dumbest pick of the draft. The level of upside and the level of downside is VERY wide in this particular case.

9. St. Louis Blues - Angelo Esposito

Enticed by the incredible talent level, the St. Louis blues take the enigmatic Esposito off the board at a point some may consider far too early. However, with what is left at forward and the obvious organizational needs of St. Louis, they can't justify passing on such a talented player. A concensus first overall pick prior to the start of the year, numerous factors have contributed to Esposito dropping off to the point where he would still be available at pick nine. 98 points in 58 games a season ago and only 79 in 60 games this year after the departure of Radulov has many people scared he's a product of playing with a dynamic player. However, his encouraging WJC performance has others convinced that he's not as bad as advertised by some. Attitude problems are also a concern. As many have said with no accuracy, Angelo is no relation to the famous hockey family.

10. Florida Panthers - Zach Hamill

The WHL scoring champion this season with 93 points has many questions surrounding his game. Quite a few scouts are convinced that his skating is not elite level and that may hinder him at the next level while others think that his cerebral approach to the game will help him be a productive player regardless of those skating problems. Florida seems to have a penchant for these type of players that need a bit of fine tuning but are otherwise very safe picks and take the chance to snatch up Hamill, who is considered among the best playmakers in the draft along with Gagner. A move to the wing may be in the cards for Hamill if he proves to be too small to handle the task of being a top flight NHL centerman.

11. Carolina Hurricanes - Logan Couture

With the concern that his development has hit a huge road block, Logan Couture slips to the 11th pick where Carolina snatches him up. Like many of the forwards in the draft this year, Couture struggles with his first step and does not have desired NHL acceleration for a player his size but his offensive ability is top shelf. He has struggled through a laundry list of injuries this season that have prevented him from utilizing his tremendous skill. Scouts are split down the middle on the safety of this pick as well as his potential upside. Great offensive ability will ensure that he is taken in the first fifteen picks and Carolina hopes they can develop his skating ability and have another top flight forward to add to the stable, despite the positional needs of a defenseman. With Ellerby and Alzner off the board they go for best player available.

12. Montreal Canadiens - Brandon Sutter

If there is anything assured for the Montreal franchise this year, it's that they're going to take a player that is considered to be a good quality person with the fallout that happened during this past year with Samsonov and to an extent Kovalev. Brandon Sutter has great hockey bloodlines and a projectable frame to play with a nasty edge like a Bobby Holik. There is a question about where he will play at the next level but that is more of a case of versatility than it is a cause for concern. The lack of offensive production at the WHL level with the Rebels has scared off some, but that isn't his game. He's not an offensive dynamo by any stretch, but what he does he does quite well. I am convinced that Brandon Sutter will develop into a fine player for some team with the level of determination that he displays in his game and the leadership element is something that Montreal would be well advised to take note of. There will be mixed feelings regarding Esposito not falling to this pick that will be discounted once Sutter brings his game to Montreal.

13. Toronto Maple Leafs - Maxim Mayorov

Toronto is in desperate need of offensive ability and Maxim Mayorov fits the bill. He has a very one dimensional aspect to the way he plays the game, but that aspect is very strong. Mayorov is very very fast and he uses his speed very well to create offense but has been discounted for inconsistant effort and lack of killer instinct to be a high traffic area finisher at the next level. Despite these concerns, Toronto rolls the dice on Mayorov. There is quite a bit of bust potential with this pick, but with Toronto needing the offensive firepower that they lack it's a chance they have to take. They'll likely not be able to lure that talent via free agency considering the money they have locked up on the blueline so building from within is a must. It will be interesting to see what is decided to be done with Mayorov.

14. Colorado Avalanche - Kevin Shattenkirk

Shattenkirk is bar none the most offensive defenseman available in the draft this year and Colorado will not let him drop past the 14th overall selection. Despite his project status, Shattenkirk is a fantastic skater and makes great decisions with the puck on his stick. Some find that his attacking style does not translate well into the NHL game and his disregard for the defensive aspects of the game when he gets offensive ideas does not bode well for the next jump. Along with every other USDP prospect, many sources think that Shattenkirk would have been better served by playing against better competition in the OHL but that shouldn't hurt his stock a great deal. There is a lot of Brian Campbell in his game.

15. Edmonton Oilers (from New York Islanders) - Colton Gillies

Oiler fans would likely grimace at this pick considering the severe lack of production in the WHL for his entire career, but everything aside from the offensive aspects of the game are spectacular for Colton. His skating is more impressive than any player in the draft in my opinion and his size projects him to be a very imposing force once he puts on the proper amount of weight for the Oilers. Gillies hits like a freight train and plays the game with immense levels of heart and desire. His strength is off the charts. The only knock, again, is the lack of the top flight offensive game. If he can find his hands, he'll be a steal in this position for Edmonton. Even if he does not, he'll be a contributor. Some have talked of a switch to the blueline, but it would be a waste of his natural talent in the speed department. A tremendous forechecker. Having taken Cherepanov with the 6th overall, Edmonton feels comfortable taking a gamble in the opposite direction with a player with a superb defensive game and intangibles but lacking in the offense department.

16. Anaheim Ducks (from Tampa Bay Lightning) - Jonathon Blum

Quite a few will look at this pick as being outside the box considering Pronger and Niedermeyer, but with the wealth of talented young forwards and the lack of goaltending talent in this draft it's a no brainer that Anaheim would go the way of a great young defenseman to help ease the transition once the two aforementioned stalwarts decide to hang them up or move on. Blum is a really lanky framed player with a high hockey IQ and respectable offensive instincts, but does not blow you away with any of his measurables. He needs to put on a significant amount of weight if he hopes to be a minute eating defenseman. Many expect Blum to go higher, but I feel that his lack of a NHL frame will keep him in the bottom half of the first round but his great all around game will ensure that he does not fall out of the teens. Anaheim gets a great potential player with very little risk involved for them.

17. New York Rangers - Nick Petrecki

The USHL product Petrecki is one of the most interesting prospects in the entire draft. At 6-3 and 217, he already has the size to play at the NHL level. He has a nasty streak and crease clearing attributes that every team desires, but the fact that he has not proven himself among the better competition of the OHL aftering being drafted by Plymouth in the 1st round has many scared away from him. His offensive game is also considered a huge question mark as well as his decision making ability in his own zone. However, his great size and nasty streak has drawn comparisons to players like Adam Foote. New York needs a big nasty defenseman to patrol their blueline and protect Lundqvist and Petrecki fits the bill. He will be the best stay at home defenseman to emerge from this draft class in my opinion.

18. Calgary Flames - Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i

Huge reach here for Calgary. Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i is quite an enigma but he has all the offensive talent you could ask for. Attitude problems abound for Luca, but the thing of it is that for as many problems as he has presented he has made up for in pure skill. One of the most promising Swiss players to come out in ages, :eek::eek::eek::eek:i is going to come off the board higher than expected due to his elite upside. Calgary is in good position to take a risk on :eek::eek::eek::eek:i as they are secure in most aspects aside from the blueline but with the run in the previous few picks, they decide to go for the offensive firepower that :eek::eek::eek::eek:i will no doubt provide should he pan out. An interesting pick in this position, but I think Calgary is likely to flinch on the talented :eek::eek::eek::eek:i.

19. Minnesota Wild - Alex Plante

Quite a few will expect Hickey to come off before Plante, but with all the measurables that Plante has and the fact that he's such a swift skating defenseman for his size he'll likely prove more enticing than Hickey. He already has NHL size and puck handling ability, but the area he lacks the most is his understanding of the game. That is counterbalanced by the fact that he's a tireless worker with a tremendous desire to improve. He has good bloodlines as well. Most of all, he's a hockey player. Minnesota loves them and he'll fit right into what they're trying to do.

20. Pittsburgh Penguins - Bill Sweatt

Pittsburgh is elated to see Sweatt make it all the way down the board to them at the 20th overall selection. Sweatt is a FANTASTIC skater with the defensive ability that will make him a teriffic penalty killing winger down the line. He also has good enough hands to not slow down a line playing with the elite level centers that Pittsburgh already has. He didn't have much of a chance to display his goal scoring prowess last year with Colorado College, but still averaged a point per game due to creating chances with his speed. He will be expected to round into a better finisher and with all things considered, it's very likely that he will do just that. There is nothing really glaring to say about a weakness in Sweatt's game, which makes me hesitant to put him this low on my draft board but the situation worked out to where the first team that it really made sense for him to be taken by was in this position. Sweatt is going to be a valuable forward in some capacity and a team will be lucky to have him. Especially if he makes it past 15.

21. Phoenix Coyotes (from Dallas Stars) - Thomas Hickey
22. Montreal Canadiens (from San Jose Sharks) - Mark Katic
23. Philadelphia Flyers (from Nashville Predators) - Max Pacioretty
24. St. Louis Blues (from Atlanta Thrashers) - Oscar Moller
25. Vancouver Canucks - Joakim Andersson
26. St. Louis Blues (from New Jersey Devils via San Jose Sharks) - Ryan McDonagh
27. Ottawa Senators - Mike Hoeffel
28. Edmonton Oilers (from Anaheim Ducks) - Jim O'Brien
29. Detroit Red Wings - Eric Doyle
30. Washington Capitals (from Buffalo Sabres) - John Negrin

Last edited:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
did you forget about Eller or do you think he will miss the first round?

I would prefer Voracek over Cherapanov or Alzner for LA so I would be happy.

Eller is interesting for sure. He had a great WJC's but for a pretty weak team. He's rated by ISS as the 43rd best skater and 35th by THN. I think there is an outside chance he gets into the first round, by my instincts say he's more than likely one of the first few off the board in the 2nd round. He is a bit of a question mark due to being from a non traditional prospect hotbed and the fact that he appears disinterested at times. He is a fine prospect, but i'm not sure if anybody bites in the first.

Top Corner2

Feb 15, 2003
Visit site
Eller, Hjalmerson and Ian Cole will probably not slip past top 30. Your list looks a lot like THN....but I think they forgot a few.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Eller, Hjalmerson and Ian Cole will probably not slip past top 30. Your list looks a lot like THN....but I think they forgot a few.

Eller is a sticky subject. I just have one of those "Jiri Hudler" feelings about him heading into the draft this year. It may not come to fruition, but you never know.

Ian Cole was probably one of my next off the board. Hjalmerson i'm not sure about.

I think THN did a decent job with the rankings this year aside from maybe five or ten exceptions that were obvioiusly out of place. They had Akim Aliu falling off the face of the earth and Eller was still too low. I think they HIGHLY overrated Veilleux, Pacioretty, and Tanguay and HIGHLY underrated Eller, Aliu, and Cross.

NeonDion

Jun 21, 2006
Horrible pick for the Flames.
No bloody way in hell do they pick :eek::eek::eek::eek:i. Look at how long it took them to get Ramholt here, they're not going to go that way again.
If they like players at 18, it'll be Eller, Sweatt or Moller, possibly Plante.
Otherwise I see them trading down to 21 (Phoenix via Dallas) or 24 (StLouis via SJ I beleive).

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Horrible pick at #6 for the Oiilers. The Oilers will not draft Cherepanov at #6 with Gagner still available. With no transfer agreement in place, teams will be reluctent to draft Russian. If Cherepanov is still available at #15, then they could risk it but not at #6.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Horrible pick at #6 for the Oiilers. The Oilers will not draft Cherepanov at #6 with Gagner still available. With no transfer agreement in place, teams will be reluctent to draft Russian. If Cherepanov is still available at #15, then they could risk it but not at #6.
Posts like this always crack me up.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Horrible pick for the Flames.
No bloody way in hell do they pick :eek::eek::eek::eek:i. Look at how long it took them to get Ramholt here, they're not going to go that way again.
If they like players at 18, it'll be Eller, Sweatt or Moller, possibly Plante.
Otherwise I see them trading down to 21 (Phoenix via Dallas) or 24 (StLouis via SJ I beleive).

I knew it was a reach when I made the prediction and said such. I think he's a great player and have the feeling that somebody will snag him in the late teens and my guess was Calgary. It could be wrong of course, but that's why it's a mock.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site

I'm not convinced they would pass on Cherepanov for Gagner. Cherepanov gives them an element that they do not have should he pan out. Gagner has upside to make him a really spectacular set up man for the first line, but with Hemsky already on board i'm not sure as to why they would make that pick. Cherepanov is a natural goal scorer that they thought Lupul was going to be and may be ready to play right away provided they can get him over.

NeonDion

Jun 21, 2006
I knew it was a reach when I made the prediction and said such. I think he's a great player and have the feeling that somebody will snag him in the late teens and my guess was Calgary. It could be wrong of course, but that's why it's a mock.

I understand that he has good potential, and that's fantastic. But a guy like Eller has done nothing but rise this year. He's got the skating size and skill to compete in the NHL. Moller is also a good fit because he plays in the WHL, has the competitiveness and skill that Sutter will like.
With :eek::eek::eek::eek:i's rumored attitud problems, the Flames will pass on him.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
All indications are the Oilers aren't interested in Cherry. The top 6 they have been quoting include Turris, Kane, JVR, Alzner, Voracek and Gagner. So if the top 5 goes as your predict, I think it'll be Gagner.

May 23, 2007
Calgary
18. Calgary Flames - Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i

Huge reach here for Calgary. Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i is quite an enigma but he has all the offensive talent you could ask for. Attitude problems abound for Luca, but the thing of it is that for as many problems as he has presented he has made up for in pure skill. One of the most promising Swiss players to come out in ages, :eek::eek::eek::eek:i is going to come off the board higher than expected due to his elite upside. Calgary is in good position to take a risk on :eek::eek::eek::eek:i as they are secure in most aspects aside from the blueline but with the run in the previous few picks, they decide to go for the offensive firepower that :eek::eek::eek::eek:i will no doubt provide should he pan out. An interesting pick in this position, but I think Calgary is likely to flinch on the talented :eek::eek::eek::eek:i.

I don't get this. You know we're talking about the Calgary Flames here...Darryl Sutter as the GM...he hates guys who don't work hard or have attitude problems...Right?

This doesnt make sense.

I think with that 18th pick, the Flames can select either Lars Eller, Bill Sweatt, Nick Petrecki or Oscar Moller.

I'd love the Flames to draft Moller though, as the Flames have no real talented winger on the system.

Artie

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal, Que
Visit site
12. Montreal Canadiens - Brandon Sutter

If there is anything assured for the Montreal franchise this year, it's that they're going to take a player that is considered to be a good quality person with the fallout that happened during this past year with Samsonov and to an extent Kovalev. Brandon Sutter has great hockey bloodlines and a projectable frame to play with a nasty edge like a Bobby Holik. There is a question about where he will play at the next level but that is more of a case of versatility than it is a cause for concern. The lack of offensive production at the WHL level with the Rebels has scared off some, but that isn't his game. He's not an offensive dynamo by any stretch, but what he does he does quite well. I am convinced that Brandon Sutter will develop into a fine player for some team with the level of determination that he displays in his game and the leadership element is something that Montreal would be well advised to take note of. There will be mixed feelings regarding Esposito not falling to this pick that will be discounted once Sutter brings his game to Montreal.

First off, thanks for the effort and work put into this.

I'm not going to say that no way does Montreal pick Sutter, because with Gainey and Timmons anything is possible. However given what the team really needs I would be extremely disappointed and surprised if they went this route at #12.

I agree with you that Sutter really fits the mold of a Gainey type pick but I hope he swings for something with the potential to bring more of an offensive punch or really adds depth to the blue line. Sutter does neither.

OMA

Mar 11, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

That's fair enough.

That said, It's pretty much a known fact around the Calgary Flames organization that they value character. Tod Button (the Flames director of scouting) has flat out said that it's something that weighs extremely heavily in Calgary draft plans.

Also, it's worth noting that Sutter has had some nice comments about Plante throughout the year. Now granted Sutter has a tendency to play with the media but it's something to keep in mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad