CFL Cancels 2020 Season

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
CFL saves, as a league, money not playing. Plus, most of their players aren’t really paid very much, so cutting the season by two-thirds would mean those guys are playing for 1/3 rd their pay. By next season we should have vaccinated enough of the population to have fans at games, so the league will come back in 2021.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Finally, a major pro sports league is willing to cancel its season - something the NBA and the NHL were too chicken to do.
NHL and NBA are each making 100’s of millions in TV and advertising revenue. The CFL, even if they played in a bubble, we’re going to lose millions. The CFL saves money by not playing. Completely different economics.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
NHL and NBA are each making 100’s of millions in TV and advertising revenue. The CFL, even if they played in a bubble, we’re going to lose millions. The CFL saves money by not playing. Completely different economics.

Bingo. That NBA TV deal is massive. CFL is probably a 85% gate driven league, so no economic sense without fans. Hopefully this doesn't have a huge long term impact on the league though, as I find going to the games to be a fun time and doesn't break the bank..

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Bingo. That NBA TV deal is massive. CFL is probably a 85% gate driven league, so no economic sense without fans. Hopefully this doesn't have a huge long term impact on the league though, as I find going to the games to be a fun time and doesn't break the bank..
I’m going to miss seeing the Labour Day classic.

Reactions: 2023FriendshipTour

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
You know, there's a saying.

Money causes more problems than it solves.

A comparable situation would be the decision of the producers to continue with Two and a Half Men despite the fact that it was clear that Charlie Sheen would not be returning to the show.

It wouldn't have been so bad if the replacement wasn't Ashton Kutcher, who I lost respect for after he cheated on Demi Moore. Bradley Cooper (who I liked in the Guardians of the Galaxy movies) would have been better.

So in short, Two and a Half Men was continued in the name of money, even though the last four seasons had no business being aired under the title Two and a Half Men. A better title for those seasons would have been One and a Half Men and a Coward.

And then there's the decision of several former members of Lynyrd Skynyrd to form a new band under that name in the late 1980s. To me, Lynyrd Skynyrd ended with the 1977 plane crash. The later incarnations were merely tribute bands who were granted permission to use the name, even though it was not the right move to do so.

Last edited:

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
the CFL really needs to take this time now and restructure its league

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
of what? Their contract?

They can opt out since the league is not playing under the following terms.

CFL Players' Association details opt out procedures for contracts which expire in February 2021 and 2022 - 3DownNation

A. Players with Contracts expiring in February 2021
Any player, presently under contract with their contract expiring in February 2021, who requests a release from their contract to attempt to secure employment in the NFL or other employment will be granted an immediate release from their CFL SPC on the following conditions:
i. the player must make their election within 7 days of the signing of this MOA

ii. the player after getting his release is not eligible to sign with any other CFL Club until the start of the free agency period in February 2021

iii. the player will not be eligible for CEWS or medical benefit coverage, except for the period of time before making his election.

B. Players with Contracts expiring in February 2022 and beyond
Any player, presently under contract with their contract expiring in February 2022 or beyond, who requests a release from their contract to attempt to secure employment in the NFL or other employment will be granted an immediate release from their CFL SPC on the following conditions:
i. the player must make their election within 7 days of the signing of this MOA

ii. the player after getting his release is not eligible to sign with any other CFL Club during the term of his SPC

iii. should the player wish to return to the CFL after being released by any NFL Club or any other professional football club, he must return to his CFL Club and honour the remaining years of his SPC.

Once the player returns to his CFL Club, his medical benefits coverage will be re-instated and CEWS entitlement, if applicable, and all terms of his SPC will apply.
The player must make his election to return to his CFL Club by no later than January 31, 2021 for the 2021 season and by January 31, 2022 for the 2022 season. However, if the player has notified the Club of a willingness to report to his Standard Player Contract, the Club shall be required to restore the player to active status not later than ten (10) days following the receipt of such notification from the player.
If the member club chooses not to reinstate the player during that 10-day period, the player becomes a free agent. The Club, the CFLPA and the player shall sign a binding MOA setting out these terms before the player is released to attempt to secure employment in the NFL, or any other professional football league. The Player will be eligible for CEWS for the period of time before he makes his election.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad