CFL 2024

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
"Go in there, take the ball and run." That is your playbook. Going to turn him into another Taysom Hill.
Hill is a brick though. 35 pounds difference between the two. I wasn’t kidding when I said his role would be like Locksley’s, small guy trying to pound up the middle for one yard, not exactly playing to his strengths.

Reactions: Stoneman89

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
This is a wild change, I wonder how that will affect things?

Also a big part of me wants Leon to buy the Elks
Sad, but not unforeseeable. Just an all-around case of bad leadership on all levels...from the local BOD, to the on-field product, to the league itself failing to effectively adapt its marketing for the next generation of football fans.

Hard to believe it was only 15 years ago that the Esks would see enormous crowds of 35,000+. How times have changed.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Again mention of the insane conversation about a new stadium. On what planet does even talking about this make sense?

If that's one of the key qualifiers for assessing ownership candidates then this BoD is going to f*** the team again on the way out the door. Rather than focusing on ops a new owner focused on building will waste their time battling with the City for support that would probably take a decade to realize if somehow achieved. There is zero, and I mean zero economic incentive for a CFL owner to pay for 100% of a new stadium that is of any acceptable quality, and there is very likely zero willingness for the City or the populace to subsidize it.

As if this BoD couldn't bury their head in the sand any more. Fan experience? Ticket prices? Low popularity of the league for under 40's? Concession prices? Generally shitty atmosphere? Terrible team? New branding?

Can't be any of that, those are all fine. Definitely the stadium. :banghead:

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Again mention of the insane conversation about a new stadium. On what planet does even talking about this make sense?

If that's one of the key qualifiers for attracting ownership candidates then this BoD is going to f*** the team again on the way out the door. Rather than focusing on ops a new owner focused on building will waste their time battling with the City for support that would probably take a decade to realize if somehow achieved. There is zero, and I mean zero economic incentive for a CFL owner to pay for 100% of a new stadium that is of any acceptable quality, and there is very likely zero willingness for the City or the populace to subsidize it.

As if this BoD couldn't bury their head in the sand any more. Fan experience? Ticket prices? Low popularity of the league for under 40's? Concession prices? Generally shitty atmosphere? Terrible team? New branding?

My exact thoughts when I read the article. That the BOD will screw this up one more time for good measure. When they hired Rick L and he came out and said that the facility was the #1 issue I knew we were doomed.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
My exact thoughts when I read the article. That the BOD will screw this up one more time for good measure. When they hired Rick L and he came out and said that the facility was the #1 issue I knew we were doomed.
Actually, when they hired Rick L, I knew they were f***ed, long before he opened his mouth. He was part of the problem before. They asked for this with all of their woke and stupid changes and hirings, they deserve this mess. Trouble is, our beloved former team is the one to be sacrificed at the alter of stupidity and political correctness and will possibly become extinct. If there is a new owner, I would hope he sets the groundrules, not the BOD. They can't possibly be any worse. And the BOD is in no position to start dictating their culture to anyone.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

If that's one of the key qualifiers for assessing ownership candidates then this BoD is going to f*** the team again on the way out the door. Rather than focusing on ops a new owner focused on building will waste their time battling with the City for support that would probably take a decade to realize if somehow achieved. There is zero, and I mean zero economic incentive for a CFL owner to pay for 100% of a new stadium that is of any acceptable quality, and there is very likely zero willingness for the City or the populace to subsidize it.

My understanding is that a stadium build/Reno, along with development opportunities in the area would likely attract more buyers to choose from because as is, the franchise is a money pit and not really worth much of anything but if there are development opportunities involved then it gets juicier.

I don’t think we see a new stadium but rather an extensive renovation of commonwealth. I’m guessing it will be a deal something along the lines of new owner gets the team for free essentially, with an agreement to renovate the stadium as part of a larger mixed residential/commercial development plan likely in the area south and east of the stadium and the city kicks in land considerations, tax incentives and possibly a little cash as the stadium reno and surrounding development will likely include an expansion of community services in the area.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
My understanding is that a stadium build/Reno, along with development opportunities in the area would likely attract more buyers to choose from because as is, the franchise is a money pit and not really worth much of anything but if there are development opportunities involved then it gets juicier.

I don’t think we see a new stadium but rather an extensive renovation of commonwealth. I’m guessing it will be a deal something along the lines of new owner gets the team for free essentially, with an agreement to renovate the stadium as part of a larger mixed residential/commercial development plan likely in the area south and east of the stadium and the city kicks in land considerations, tax incentives and possibly a little cash as the stadium reno and surrounding development will likely include an expansion of community services in the area.

This is probably the only way to possibly structure it.

If this ends up being the case - selling the team for a discount to account for stadium investments - then the BoD is even dumber than I thought they were in my first post haha.

Without knowing anything about the actual Elks shareholders, do you know if a deal like this is even possible. Like would the City have enough sway to make this work?

Reactions: brentashton

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

If this ends up being the case - selling the team for a discount to account for stadium investments - then the BoD is even dumber than I thought they were in my first post haha.

Without knowing anything about the actual Elks shareholders, do you know if a deal like this is even possible. Like would the City have enough sway to make this work?
I’m a little unclear about how the organizations community ownership model is structured so I’m not sure exactly how it would all work but I’m fairly sure the BoG could ram through a sale if they want.

The process of exploring a sale to a private owner has been quietly ongoing a couple years now. Sounds like initially they had a short list of local people/groups they approached to gauge potential interest but I think value is a problem for the BoG as they don’t exactly have a strong business case to pitch potential buyers, so floating a stadium/development deal is a way for them to attach value to the franchise.

Reactions: K1984

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Actually, when they hired Rick L, I knew they were f***ed, long before he opened his mouth. He was part of the problem before. They asked for this with all of their woke and stupid changes and hirings, they deserve this mess. Trouble is, our beloved former team is the one to be sacrificed at the alter of stupidity and political correctness and will possibly become extinct. If there is a new owner, I would hope he sets the groundrules, not the BOD. They can't possibly be any worse. And the BOD is in no position to start dictating their culture to anyone.
There wasn't much choice. In a few years the stabilization fund would have to be Carbon 14 dated to see when extinction took place.

Without an injection of private cash the club is finished unless you assume a dramatic surge of ticket sales and associated revenues. That won't happen after the smear job that was done on the team not to mention the idiots that took over after Kimball and Campbell exited. Most of these dudes belong in Madam Tussaud's chamber of horrors.

Hopefully the non-starter issue of a new stadium won't nix the deal. Over the years the existing stadium has had about $200M in upgrades (see wiki article below). How can you tell tax payers who are struggling to begin with that you need a new stadium for 10 dates a year? That said, this is a step in the right direction as reality starts to spur action.

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

I find it difficult to imagine how this current council would even entertain and then structure a deal whereby private team ownership (even though they pay for extensive renovations to Commonwealth) gets access to that kind of land rights for redevelopment and stadium operations.

The city has always prided itself that it’s a City owned and operated facility. This is fraught with a lot of issues.

There is an argument to be made that inner city redevelopment is not something the city is very good at (Blatchford) and maybe better left to a private developer that does this for a living.

I wish them well. As you say, the team itself is not worth anything. It’s like a bad NHL contract, you have to pay someone to take it off your hands.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I find it difficult to imagine how this current council would even entertain and then structure a deal whereby private team ownership (even though they pay for extensive renovations to Commonwealth) gets access to that kind of land rights for redevelopment and stadium operations.

The city has always prided itself that it’s a City owned and operated facility. This is fraught with a lot of issues.

There is an argument to be made that inner city redevelopment is not something the city is very good at (Blatchford) and maybe better left to a private developer that does this for a living.

I wish them well. As you say, the team itself is not worth anything. It’s like a bad NHL contract, you have to pay someone to take it off your hands.
True, there are no real assets on the balance sheet. They don't own the building, the land or the fixtures. The new owner--if one is found-- will do it because he simply wants to save the team. It's just a pride thing but that's alright.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
True, there are no real assets on the balance sheet. They don't own the building, the land or the fixtures. The new owner--if one is found-- will do it because he simply wants to save the team. It's just a pride thing but that's alright.
I bumped into a gentleman in Sedona AZ today that was wearing a Stampeder jacket. I told him he was the “enemy” and he said “oh, your from Edmonton!” I said, “worse, Saskatchewan “. We both laughed and had a good chat. He was in his mid 80s and I’m 59. The CFL is so toast I fear.

Reactions: bellagiobob

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I bumped into a gentleman in Sedona AZ today that was wearing a Stampeder jacket. I told him he was the “enemy” and he said “oh, your from Edmonton!” I said, “worse, Saskatchewan “. We both laughed and had a good chat. He was in his mid 80s and I’m 59. The CFL is so toast I fear.

As someone in his mid-30’s - those types of interactions literally never happen among my peers.

Most of my friends are also massive sports fans and I can’t remember any point ever where discussion around CFL has ever occurred other than some of them making fun of it. I like the CFL, but I know nobody else does so I don’t really bring it up.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
As someone in his mid-30’s - those types of interactions literally never happen among my peers.

Most of my friends are also massive sports fans and I can’t remember any point ever where discussion around CFL has ever occurred other than some of them making fun of it. I like the CFL, but I know nobody else does so I don’t really bring it up.
That saddens me. That said I’m probably as guilty as your friends in looking away from the CFL.

During Covid and post I have grown to be a bigger NFL fan than I ever was. I have some strong connections to the CFL though my upbringing, being a long time season ticket holder and having raised my kids in the religion of the CFL. I’m trying to keep the flame kindled.

But it’s tough even at my age. I wish you all the best.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I bumped into a gentleman in Sedona AZ today that was wearing a Stampeder jacket. I told him he was the “enemy” and he said “oh, you’re from Edmonton!” I said, “worse, Saskatchewan “. We both laughed and had a good chat. He was in his mid 80s and I’m 59. The CFL is so toast I fear.
You both are considered young as far as CFL fans go. ;)

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton

My kids have changed my view on the CFL. We got dirt cheap tickets last year, my wife and daughter were indifferent.

My son loved it by the end of the season, but Tre Ford had a lot to do with that. I’m calmed down about the QB signing, but they better win games.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

I’m not sure that the real estate opportunities in that area are that lucrative. Nothing like what the Ice District has become, with a building that holds 100+ events a year and helps draw the crowds that support the businesses. Commonwealth might have 12 events in a good year. I just hope these goofballs don’t eff this up. Be interesting how far former Esk Garrick Jones group will gett try on the process. He was on multiple local media outlets today campaigning for his group to be the new owners.

Reactions: brentashton

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I bumped into a gentleman in Sedona AZ today that was wearing a Stampeder jacket. I told him he was the “enemy” and he said “oh, your from Edmonton!” I said, “worse, Saskatchewan “. We both laughed and had a good chat. He was in his mid 80s and I’m 59. The CFL is so toast I fe
My kids and their friends never talk about the CFL but part of it is just the turnover and decline in quality.

If the CFL became a billionaire boys club that liked to spend and compete then it would be a huge plus.

Not sure though that the league can survive--mind you I said that back in the 80's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad