GDT: Cesko vs Kanada

SwissFan12

May 15, 2022
Imo, Pasta would be the best player in a CZE vs USA, he just needs a couple days to get used to the time difference, he'll be a huge difference maker.

Czechs did not disappoint at all, I knew this would be a tough one to win. A shorty in OT is as close as it gets!

Yeah I have a good feeling on this Czechs team, they can beat anyone, the game on this group were much closer than in the other group, you guys are ready.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I find the reffing in these tournaments are always weird, probably worse than the NHL. With the NHL we have arguments over borderline subjective goaltender interference calls, or did he leve his feet (milliseconds) before the hit. If they are against my team sure I want them called, but realistically so many of the calls that get so much attention on these boards could go either way and I'd be fine with it.

For the most part, the refereeing in the games I've watched (mostly involving Canada) has been pretty good. They let the ticky tack stuff go, and they call the obvious/egregious stuff.

I have to give credit because in general, I find the IIHF refereeing to be a bit all over the place. Often they will call a bunch of marginal stuff and then if they miss something marginal the fans get all worked up because the standard they set was too high and they can't call everything.

But even this game, aside from those two big calls, I think they made the right choices going both ways in letting them play for the most part. It was a fast and physical game and the refs didn't get in the way.

Here you have a penalty, and then a clear second penalty on the delayed penalty (even though it looked like canada touched the puck twice), and they just choose not to call it. A guy takes a stick to the face, is clearly bleeding, and they only give 2 minutes, and aparently dont even bother to go look at him on the bench. It's like they want to give you an advantage, but just not TOO much of an advantage, so we will just ignore the second penalty, or the blood from the high stick.

Yes, these were the two bizarre incidents which, luckily for the refs I guess, kind of cancelled each other out with both teams scoring once.

Reactions: ORRFForever

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Mrs_NyQuil had the opportunity to meet and chat with Daniel Alfredsson at a work event, who is my all-time favourite player.

She informed him that her husband "had a man crush on him" which apparently made him look uncomfortable.

Thanks a lot wife.

She's a big hockey fan, but she's also pretty easy on the eyes, which can mess with the players' expectations. At another event, she met Nick Foligno.

"Hey, you're Nick Foligno!"

"Yes, that's right."

"In the last game, you only played 14 minutes but you were a -3. What's up with that?"

*Nick Foligno is stunned but recovers quickly*

"I know! For two of them, I'd just gotten on the ice too, it wasn't even my fault!"

LOL.
First of all, I salute Mrs NyQuil on her acceptance of reality (and jealously congratulate you on the choice of Mrs NyQuil) - there is never anything wrong about a man crush for a world class hockey player. In fact, a lack of man crush after truly magnificent achievements of the crush target would mean that you are dead inside or a straight-up psychopath). I am jealous, it means you are in a relationship where you do not need to explain.

Now in my case, she has no interest in any sports and I am someone who travels for sports. I am a huge football (soccer), boxing and MMA fan in addition to ice hockey. I went to MSG for the Prochazka - Pereira fight and was only prevented from travelling to UFC300 by a work emergency. I travel for the Czech football team and hockey when I can. I was in Nagano for the quarter finals, semis and finals in 1998. She thinks all of this is insane. I couldn't travel to Saudi Arabia for my man Usyk, which was very disappointing to me, but of course woke up early for it (early morning here in Tokyo). She tolerated me watching it, but simply doesn't understand how I then want to spent the next 3 days watching all reaction videos, analysis and everything else. And definitely no plans of hers with friends, food, etc. are of interest for me. Having a woman who gets your passion for sport is a gift!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: jj cale and NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
First of all, I salute Mrs NyQuil on her acceptance of reality (ands jealously congratulate you on the choice of Mrs NyQuil) - there is never anything wrong about a man crush for a world class hockey player. In fact, a lack of man crush after truly magnificent achievements of the crush target would mean that you are dead inside or a straight-up psychopath). I am jealous, it means you are in a relationship where you do not need to explain.

She also informs me which NHL players are really good looking, which is something that rarely crosses my mind in my analysis.

I'm not sure if I really want to know this information.

I was in Nagano for the quarter finals, semis and finals in 1998.

Ah, so you saw the shootout that led to Canada's hockey summit. A pretty historic moment for you and for us. And then the final, very jealous!

I was up early and had some friends over to watch that game, we were pretty loud when Canada tied it so my Dad came downstairs and yelled at us because he had to work in the morning.

I guess his patriotism didn't trump his sleep requirements.

Reactions: Old Man Jags

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Keeps young by banging the 18 year old girlfriends of other Czech players.

In any case, I hope Czechs win in OT. Points are now meaningless and I want this Canada team in a pissy mood for the elimination rounds.
I agree. Sadly, you/we did not get our wish as far as the O.T. loss - that would have been PERFECT.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Rewatched third

1. I thought Necas looked better than Pasta
2. I didn't notice Zacha at all
3. Pasta had some weird looking plays and whiffs.. including the game winner for Canada where he put it on the tape of Canuck scorer
4. The OT goal needs circus music.. off spacek's right foot, off Spacek's left foot, off Pasta's blade to Canada.lol
5. 2 goals in off of Binnington's mask.. if I did that in pickup hockey I'd get my ass kicked in the changeroom

Reactions: Old Man Jags

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Rewatched third

3. Pasta had some weird looking plays and whiffs.. including the game winner for Canada where he put it on the tape of Canuck scorer
4. The OT goal needs circus music.. off spacek's right foot, off Spacek's left foot, off Pasta's blade to Canada.lol
5. 2 goals in off of Binnington's mask.. if I did that in pickup hockey I'd get my ass kicked in the changeroom
Let’s hope some of it is due to Pasta and Zacha still acclimatizing. Neither performed very well in the playoffs, which maybe should have been a warning. Zacha is only there because he is used to playing with Pasta. If Pasta had been unable to make it, I doubt the coaches would have taken Zacha by himself.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Rewatched third

I dont know if you saw the interview with Pasta during one of the intermissions, but many looked rouuugh. He was going off basically no sleep. Nečas's first game wasn't stellar either and this one he looked much better. I expect (hope), he will look better after getting some time to adjust in the same manner, though Nečas had the advantage of an extra day (and less urgent first match).

Reactions: Czechboy

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Didn’t get to watch live, so late to the party here.

Awesome game, crowd was freaking rocking. I’m always upset (selfishly) that this tourney never comes to Canada, but we can’t recreate that atmosphere.

As usual, super fun game, home team never quit and what’s better than OT?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad