GDT: Cesko vs Kanada

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
It was the right call.

Czech player would have been in on a breakaway.

Entertaining game.

Lots to like for both teams going forward.
Well, it was a bit week considering how they called this game. Pasternak had should have been called for the running the goalie by that standard,

But really I was just verbalising Cozen's actions.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well, it was a bit week considering how they called this game. Pasternak had should have been called for the running the goalie by that standard,

The bizarre ref decisions (not giving the 5 on 3 to Czechs, not giving the 4 minute double minor to Canada) kind of cancelled each other out, and both teams scored on them anyway.

For the most part they called a pretty good game.

Reactions: jj cale

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The idiot ref is looking right at the play. There was no hold and it is OT. Shouldn't be called.

It was an obvious hold because Dubois was obviously going to lose that footrace.

I could see them letting it go if it wasn't going to lead to an obvious high quality scoring opportunity.

Dubois's penalty isn't as egregious as Mercer's because it denied a scoring opportunity.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Binnington tried to sell that. It's pretty clear Pasta doesn't hit him in the way Binnington tried to sell it.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Need to wear the goat heads full-time to mimic the Canda colors.

Maybe Ruff will sort them out.

I ran into him at a food court in Ottawa back in like 2004 and we chatted for a bit. A nice man.

Binnington tried to sell that. It's pretty clear Pasta doesn't hit him in the way Binnington tried to sell it.

Pasta sort of tried to jump out of the way but he did hit the goalie in the crease.

Some refs might have called it under different circumstances. I've seen less contact called.

But it's pretty consistent with traditional NHL playoff reffing where they don't call stuff unless it takes away a clear scoring chance, which is why I think they called the Dubois hold.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Respect for the humblebrag.
It was right there before me for the taking :) (the point kind of being that Cervenka is older than my fiancé, yet he is the love I cherish right now).

But the more important takeaway is : Cervenka - Leader. Captain. Man. You cannot imagine how much nonsense he was subjected to by Czech fans for many years as he did not perform brilliantly for the national team, yet he always was more than willing to play for us, a proper patriot trying to do his best at all times, and seeing him getting the assist and goal today, and the proper respect from all of our fans he deserves just warms the cockles of my heart. I am seriously in love right now. I might even feel obliged to tell my better half that she has some older competition.

ottawarenegader613

May 27, 2016
If you are Switzerland and had a chance to finish 2nd in the group with a win against Finland, you can thank Mercer for that screw up.
Whoops my mistake, Switzerland does have a chance to finish in 2nd with a win against Finland. Mercer gets a reprieve after taking that penalty but Canada better tighten up defensively and not give up late leads like they did against Austria and Czechia whether if it's short handed or not. Canada should keep that in mind when they play in the Quarterfinals if they have a chance defend their Championship.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I am seriously in love right now. I might even feel obliged to tell my better half that she has some older competition.

Mrs_NyQuil had the opportunity to meet and chat with Daniel Alfredsson at a work event, who is my all-time favourite player.

She informed him that her husband "had a man crush on him" which apparently made him look uncomfortable.

Thanks a lot wife.

She's a big hockey fan, but she's also pretty easy on the eyes, which can mess with the players' expectations. At another event, she met Nick Foligno.

"Hey, you're Nick Foligno!"

"Yes, that's right."

"In the last game, you only played 14 minutes but you were a -3. What's up with that?"

*Nick Foligno is stunned but recovers quickly*

"I know! For two of them, I'd just gotten on the ice too, it wasn't even my fault!"

LOL.

Last edited:

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Great game. Obviously to concede the OT goal in a 4-3 powerplay is a bad thing, but mistakes just happen in hockey. I think the cliché saying "better now than in the QF game" applies here. The entire game had a high pace, lot of emotions, both teams were solid defensively for two periods, then the third became quite wild. Cool comeback from 1-3 to 3-3. A due test before the QF game for both teams.

Last edited:

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Imo, Pasta would be the best player in a CZE vs USA, he just needs a couple days to get used to the time difference, he'll be a huge difference maker.

Congrats Canada... Good luck in quarters.
I loved how czechs played. I get Spacek got victimized in the end but I love that they gave him that space.

I didn't leave there thinking we were miles behind.

Now to sit and wait and cheer for finland.lol. Sorry Swiss.
Czechs did not disappoint at all, I knew this would be a tough one to win. A shorty in OT is as close as it gets!

LaCarriere

The bizarre ref decisions (not giving the 5 on 3 to Czechs, not giving the 4 minute double minor to Canada) kind of cancelled each other out, and both teams scored on them anyway.

For the most part they called a pretty good game.
I find the reffing in these tournaments are always weird, probably worse than the NHL. With the NHL we have arguments over borderline subjective goaltender interference calls, or did he leve his feet (milliseconds) before the hit. If they are against my team sure I want them called, but realistically so many of the calls that get so much attention on these boards could go either way and I'd be fine with it.

Here you have a penalty, and then a clear second penalty on the delayed penalty (even though it looked like canada touched the puck twice), and they just choose not to call it. A guy takes a stick to the face, is clearly bleeding, and they only give 2 minutes, and aparently dont even bother to go look at him on the bench. It's like they want to give you an advantage, but just not TOO much of an advantage, so we will just ignore the second penalty, or the blood from the high stick.

Reactions: NyQuil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad