Prospect Info: Cernak

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Of course every defender makes mistakes. But elite defensemen like Doughty make them far less frequently than the average one. Cernak, on the other hand (again, small sample size), makes bad pinches and reads frequently. It's not a big deal. He's a young guy.

I think Cernak's development (if it goes right) will be similar to Muzzin's. He won't make it off his hockey IQ, but by superior physical abilities coupled with instinctual reads that will come from practicing good habits with the development team.

The development camp is just what you described, a small sample size.

Also how many Drew Doughty's are in the league, with his Hockey IO ?

Drew Doughty is not a measure of (good) hockey IQ. Drew Doughty is a generational defender, with a hockey savant IQ.

Last edited:

417th

Pacifist Division
Feb 4, 2015
is merely a concept
I am however a little ticked off that, Alex Lintuniemi has to play in the ECHL.

Not happy about that.

It will be good for his confidence because he will flat out be the best defensemen in the entire league for however long he has to stay there. I agree, the guy should be racking up the minutes in Ont.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It would be nice if Cernak accepted bis assignment where he would play 20+/night.

But I am not completely opposed to a player who is driven to prove management wrong. I just hope he DOES prove them wrong, and he shows he belongs in the AHL.

2-4 Slashin

Tony Granato Fan!
Jul 25, 2005
South Pasadena
The development camp is just what you described, a small sample size.

Also how many Drew Doughty's are in the league, with his Hockey IO ?

Drew Doughty is not a measure of (good) hockey IQ. Drew Doughty is a generational defender, with a hockey savant IQ.

This!! Indeed!!

If Cernak could develop into the player everyone is saying he can be, all the naysayer will be praising DL again for letting him play in Ontario. I think playing on a team that won it all and having to prove himself in that atmosphere will be good. I only hope the kid does not make this hold out thing a habit for getting what he wants after seeing how it got him into Ontario. But I do think our development staff can work him through the rough stages and hone his hockey IQ. I don't think he needs another year of being a man amongst boys in the CHL. I think we/he needs to see where he is amongst other men. Maybe the humbling and learning curve of playing the big game is what he needs. He will be hit heavy by men his own size and he will need to learn to shut down offensive players who play the pro North American game. If he indeed has that high IQ he will adapt using his tools and figure it out on the fly. Thats why it's called IQ.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Have to believe some minor league d-men are on the move. Can't imagine Kings' brass are thrilled with good players marinating in the ECHL.

A little disappointed that Cernak didn't go to Erie but at the same time he's a man-child so as long as he can put his money where his mouth is I'm all for it. I'm not as certain as some that playing 20 min in the CHL is much better than 15 in the AHL for him at this point but I can understand why some Erie fans are pissed. Just shocked we haven't seen a "typical Kings" post yet :P

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
Not P.O.'ed. Glad he's not coming now. He was "assigned here". Never played in the league as far as I know, he wants to play prima donna, no room in this locker room for that. Good luck in life Cernak. :popcorn:

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Is there anything official about the Ontario thing?

This is probably something that the Kings discussed with him before hand. He's 19 and he's got the frame and athleticism for the AHL. I think the OHL is the preferred spot for him, but I don't think the team would be adverse to him playing in Ontario.

The Kings want to have vets available in Ontario in case of injury - guys like McBain and Schultz. They need to play minutes to stay sharp in case of a call-up, which makes it harder to get a guy like Cernak in the lineup. I think it has more to do with this than the team thinking he isn't ready for it.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Is there anything official about the Ontario thing?

This is probably something that the Kings discussed with him before hand. He's 19 and he's got the frame and athleticism for the AHL. I think the OHL is the preferred spot for him, but I don't think the team would be adverse to him playing in Ontario.

The Kings want to have vets available in Ontario in case of injury - guys like McBain and Schultz. They need to play minutes to stay sharp in case of a call-up, which makes it harder to get a guy like Cernak in the lineup. I think it has more to do with this than the team thinking he isn't ready for it.

Cernak is 18 actually.

Just a break down of communication. Kings should have talked about this more beforehand with Cernak and/or vice versa before assignment. There are other options like a loan back to Kosice, maybe even a loan to Slovan (KHL) that could be explored to deal with the overwhelming number of bodies in Ontario.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Cernak is 18 actually.

Just a break down of communication. Kings should have talked about this more beforehand with Cernak and/or vice versa before assignment. There are other options like a loan back to Kosice, maybe even a loan to Slovan (KHL) that could be explored to deal with the overwhelming number of bodies in Ontario.

Apparently 1997 is too difficult to subtract :)

That could be why they were trying to talk him into giving Erie a shot. I don't know much about the Slovakian league, but I would prefer him in the KHL over the OHL. Nothing against the OHL or Erie at all, they are great at development. I just think with his size it's better for him to play against guys who are fast and big.

I've admittedly seen very little of him, just at dev. camp, but his skating and size are definitely above the junior level.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Apparently 1997 is too difficult to subtract :)

That could be why they were trying to talk him into giving Erie a shot. I don't know much about the Slovakian league, but I would prefer him in the KHL over the OHL. Nothing against the OHL or Erie at all, they are great at development. I just think with his size it's better for him to play against guys who are fast and big.

I've admittedly seen very little of him, just at dev. camp, but his skating and size are definitely above the junior level.

He would still benefit from playing at the junior level. To begin with, he struggles a bit with focus. Granted, this can be instilled at any level, but with the higher demands in the professional ranks, it would be an easier, and less damaging lesson, to learn while at the junior level. At the pro level, if you don't focus, you get benched.

Furthermore, while he does have good speed and skills, he would benefit from playing on the smaller ice where he can learn to make faster decisions with smaller space.

Now, Cernak may make the transition to the pro level and succeed. He looks like a fool if he doesn't, though.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
Have to believe some minor league d-men are on the move. Can't imagine Kings' brass are thrilled with good players marinating in the ECHL.

A little disappointed that Cernak didn't go to Erie but at the same time he's a man-child so as long as he can put his money where his mouth is I'm all for it. I'm not as certain as some that playing 20 min in the CHL is much better than 15 in the AHL for him at this point but I can understand why some Erie fans are pissed. Just shocked we haven't seen a "typical Kings" post yet :P

He just signed a 3 year entry level contract. My understanding of entry level contracts is his going to the CHL wouldn't burn off a year of the contract, but playing in the AHL would. Wonder if this has anything to do with his decision not to go to the CHL?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
He just signed a 3 year entry level contract. My understanding of entry level contracts is his going to the CHL wouldn't burn off a year of the contract, but playing in the AHL would. Wonder if this has anything to do with his decision not to go to the CHL?

Your understanding is incorrect. Only way Cernak can burn a year off his ELC in the next year two years is to play 10 or more NHL games. Barring that no matter where Cernak plays he does not use up a year of his ELC.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
Your understanding is incorrect. Only way Cernak can burn a year off his ELC in the next year two years is to play 10 or more NHL games. Barring that no matter where Cernak plays he does not use up a year of his ELC.

While I appreciate your knowledge of hockey, I think you might not be right here. The 10 or more NHL games only applies to players being sent back to Junior (CHL). If a player is sent to the AHL, still a professional league unlike the CHL, it does eat up a year of the contract. Looking here at hockey buzz, it shows Kings prospects signed to entry level contracts. If you look at the likes of Adrian Kempe and Eric Cernak, it does show both becoming RFA's following the 2017-2018 season. Thus, them playing in the AHL, still a professional league, does burn up a year. The question still remains though, if sending him to the CHL right away would save a year on this contract. Being he is from Europe, this is where I'm not sure if it would count against the contract.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=LA

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
While I appreciate your knowledge of hockey, I think you might not be right here. The 10 or more NHL games only applies to players being sent back to Junior (CHL). If a player is sent to the AHL, still a professional league unlike the CHL, it does eat up a year of the contract. Looking here at hockey buzz, it shows Kings prospects signed to entry level contracts. If you look at the likes of Adrian Kempe and Eric Cernak, it does show both becoming RFA's following the 2017-2018 season. Thus, them playing in the AHL, still a professional league, does burn up a year. The question still remains though, if sending him to the CHL right away would save a year on this contract. Being he is from Europe, this is where I'm not sure if it would count against the contract.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=LA

hockeybuzz is a garbage website. And those are 3 year deals, but they will slide if not played in 10 NHL games. I am 100% certain since I get my facts straight from CBA and previous case studies.

(d) (i) In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a
Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season
under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry
Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that
this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to
Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December
31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC. Unless a Player and Club
expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an
additional year in accordance with this subsection, all terms of the SPC,
with the exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary,
games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided,
however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all
circumstances.
ARTICLE 9 9.2-9.3
(ii) In the event that a Player signs his first SPC at age 18 and has had his SPC
extended pursuant to Subsection (i), and such Player does not play at least
ten (10) NHL Games in the second season under that SPC, then the term
of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be
extended for one (1) additional year. Unless a Player and Club expressly
agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an additional
year in accordance with this Subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the
exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary, games
played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided,
however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all
circumstances.

Clearly states that only NHL games will prevent an 18 year old from having their contract slide.

The best example is one of the Kings own. Slava Voynov came across at 18 years old and moved to AHL. There he played the entirity of his 18 and 19 year old years in Manchester of the AHL. Both years the contract slide. So he also played his 20, 21, and 22 year old years on the ELC. So he played in AHL 5 years on his 3 year ELC.

The slide rule has nothing to do with junior hockey at all. It is not a part of the CHL-NHL agreement. It is an NHL rule from CBA.

donkozak

Feb 16, 2014
canada
Kings Brought Voynov Up In 2012!!!

hockeybuzz is a garbage website. And those are 3 year deals, but they will slide if not played in 10 NHL games. I am 100% certain since I get my facts straight from CBA and previous case studies.

Clearly states that only NHL games will prevent an 18 year old from having their contract slide.

The best example is one of the Kings own. Slava Voynov came across at 18 years old and moved to AHL. There he played the entirity of his 18 and 19 year old years in Manchester of the AHL. Both years the contract slide. So he also played his 20, 21, and 22 year old years on the ELC. So he played in AHL 5 years on his 3 year ELC.

The slide rule has nothing to do with junior hockey at all. It is not a part of the CHL-NHL agreement. It is an NHL rule from CBA.

Voynov played in parts of 5 years.Lets get things straight!It was 3 full years and small parts of 2 others!

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Cernak can't be worse than Greene or Erhoff seriously, bring this kid up. Or play Forbort/Gravel.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Cernak can't be worse than Greene or Erhoff seriously, bring this kid up. Or play Forbort/Gravel.

Well, I'd say Cernak has a point. He belongs at Ontario for his development. But, he wouldn't be he first kid to not get his wishes. It's seems the Euros have leverage in this regard. He can probably play well at the OHL also, but it feels like a step backwards to him. So... I saw him play in the rookie game at TsC. Not bad. The speed seemed to,mesmerize him a bit, but a big strong kid.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007

Got it. Glad to read this. Thanks.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Well, I'd say Cernak has a point. He belongs at Ontario for his development. But, he wouldn't be he first kid to not get his wishes. It's seems the Euros have leverage in this regard. He can probably play well at the OHL also, but it feels like a step backwards to him. So... I saw him play in the rookie game at TsC. Not bad. The speed seemed to,mesmerize him a bit, but a big strong kid.

I'd recommend listening to the Mark Yannetti interview on the other thread for some interesting insight into Cernak's development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad