Prospect Info: Cernak

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
He was sent to Erie, but apparently he refused to report and is now being sent to Ontario (or something like that). Seems like a bit of a mess

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
He is an absolute beast. Personally I think the AHL will be much better for him than the CHL.

He is physically dominant and would just run wild against kids in the CHL. This way he can learn something about using his size and the speed of the pro game.

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
I don't see how playing a limited amount of minutes in the AHL is going to "develop his game" like playing major minutes in the OHL.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I don't see him on a roster anywhere (Erie, Reign, Monarchs, Kosice), I don't think he's decided where to play yet.

This is the only think I could find, it looks like they haven't signed him yet:

http://www.goerie.com/otters-try-to-sell-cernak-on-erie#

There's a quick question on top to read the article, but its free. Here's a short blurb:

Erie Otters general manager Dave Brown and Michael Futa, Los Angeles Kings' vice president of hockey operations and director of player personnel, are ironing out details in hopes of getting Kings prospect and CHL first-round pick Erik Cernak signed with the Otters.

Brown indicated Cernak and his family haven't ruled out playing in Erie.

The OHL "probably wasn't something in their mind," Brown said, since the Slovakian-born defenseman signed with the Kings in July.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Ahhh, Jason Lewis, I doubt that he would be THAT dominant in the OHL. Kurtis McDermind, Darnell Nurse, and some pretty good, tough, defensemen played last year in the OHL. Having seen AHL hockey (Hershey Bears) and having season tickets for the Otters, I can assure you that Cernak will be playing against and with some players that will never play in the AHL because they are too good. He will get knocked on his a-- more than a few times, particularly since he is a Pean. They generally don't play physical hockey. Maybe the Kings need to read him the prima donna memo...

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Sounds like he has been officially assigned to Ontario.

Disappointing attitude to see from a player, refusing assignment to the OHL. Good luck with this guy, don't want him in Erie anymore.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Boy Ontario is crowded.

Guessing Schultz is on his way there now too. That makes 9 defensemen. With the new schedule they play, there's fewer games and 3 games in 3 nights. Even if they play Raine at F, there's too many dmen.
LA probably isn't happy this is how Cernak's season has started. They talked at the draft how they'd have more "control" over his development.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
I'm excited for Cernak if he develops into the player they say but good let Dean get ****ed. Because his drafting even though produces NHL talent through development, they do not take best player available contrary to what they say. We needed Centers more and they took Cernak, while Harkins and Chlapik were still there. Like years in the past they pass on talent for character. Where's his character ? Lol

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I'm excited for Cernak if he develops into the player they say but good let Dean get ****ed. Because his drafting even though produces NHL talent through development, they do not take best player available contrary to what they say. We needed Centers more and they took Cernak, while Harkins and Chlapik were still there. Like years in the past they pass on talent for character. Where's his character ? Lol

They didn't pick Cernak because of character. They picked him because he is extremely talented, and has tremendous size/skating/hockey IQ.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
He is an absolute beast. Personally I think the AHL will be much better for him than the CHL.

He is physically dominant and would just run wild against kids in the CHL. This way he can learn something about using his size and the speed of the pro game.

I agree, he should be playing against Men in the AHL. I don't think Cernak would learn much from the CHL.

His skating is tremendous, Size/reach is really good. Hockey IQ is good.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Ahhh, Jason Lewis, I doubt that he would be THAT dominant in the OHL. Kurtis McDermind, Darnell Nurse, and some pretty good, tough, defensemen played last year in the OHL. Having seen AHL hockey (Hershey Bears) and having season tickets for the Otters, I can assure you that Cernak will be playing against and with some players that will never play in the AHL because they are too good. He will get knocked on his a-- more than a few times, particularly since he is a Pean. They generally don't play physical hockey. Maybe the Kings need to read him the prima donna memo...

Apparently, you have never seen Cernak play, at all.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
I agree, he should be playing against Men in the AHL. I don't think Cernak would learn much from the CHL.

His skating is tremendous, Size/reach is really good. Hockey IQ is good.

Perhaps it's a small sample size, but when I attended the two rookie games, my perception of Cernak's hockey IQ was anything but good. Bad pinches and penalties left and right. He's a young guy so these mistakes aren't that alarming, but his physical abilities far outweigh his hockey IQ imo.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Perhaps it's a small sample size, but when I attended the two rookie games, my perception of Cernak's hockey IQ was anything but good. Bad pinches and penalties left and right. He's a young guy so these mistakes aren't that alarming, but his physical abilities far outweigh his hockey IQ imo.

You described every single Defender at every level, Doughty makes bad pinches, and takes penalties.

What's important is: Does the Defender understand his options for first outlet passes ?, can he read plays ?, is positioning good ?, how fast does said player digest and assess all the above qualities.

Cernak is good in these areas(for the AHL, in my opinion), and can improve(to NHL quality).

Last edited:

417th

Pacifist Division
Feb 4, 2015
is merely a concept
Apparently, you have never seen Cernak play, at all.

I believe this ^ to be true. Cernak is capable of being a solid AHL Dman today but I still think he should spend one more season in the CHL. If he were to go to Ontario early it would suit me just fine because of my being a STH there but for his development I think he would be best getting 1 more dominant year. He was an absolute beast last season and I like many pro scouts thought he would go in the 1st round. Lucky for us he was still available. He will end up being one of those kids that everyone else regrets not drafting when they had the chance.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
You described every single Defender at every level, Doughty makes bad pinches, and takes penalties.

What's important is: Does the Defender understand his options for first outlet passes ?, can he read plays ?, is positioning good ?, how fast does said player digest and assess all the above qualities.

Cernak is good in these areas, and can improve.

Of course every defender makes mistakes. But elite defensemen like Doughty make them far less frequently than the average one. Cernak, on the other hand (again, small sample size), makes bad pinches and reads frequently. It's not a big deal. He's a young guy.

I think Cernak's development (if it goes right) will be similar to Muzzin's. He won't make it off his hockey IQ, but by superior physical abilities coupled with instinctual reads that will come from practicing good habits with the development team.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I believe this ^ to be true. Cernak is capable of being a solid AHL Dman today but I still think he should spend one more season in the CHL. If he were to go to Ontario early it would suit me just fine because of my being a STH there but for his development I think he would be best getting 1 more dominant year. He was an absolute beast last season and I like many pro scouts thought he would go in the 1st round. Lucky for us he was still available. He will end up being one of those kids that everyone else regrets not drafting when they had the chance.

I don't think a year in the CHL would hurt him. But if he is not willing, I also wouldn't make a big deal out of it.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I am however a little ticked off that, Alex Lintuniemi has to play in the ECHL.

Not happy about that.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3